Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:19:47 AM EDT
After the news of the winchester plant closing, I decided now would be a good time to pick up a model 94, something that I have wanted since I had become interested in guns.

I went to the local wally-world, and made my way to the firearms counter, fully prepared to purchase a model 94 ranger 30WCF. I knew how much it would cost me, and was essentially dead-set on the purchase. I had the gravel-voiced hag behind the counter grab me one from the back, and she dissappeared.

Then I saw something that would change the outcome of this event...a marlin model 336.

The marlin was about 10 dollars cheaper, came with a sling, and was in a different league than the 94 as far as overall quality, strength of the action, smoothness of the action, the finish and the wood. The 94 looked 'nice', but I could not justify the purchase based on buy a name, even if it was one that would no longer be with us for the time being.

I looked down disappointed at the little 94, a rifle that had been outclassed. I couldn't make the purchase. I made the woman take it back apologetically, and realized that when I am ready, the marlins will probably still be waiting for me. Winchester may not, but I saw very keenly why.

I am bummed at the final outcome, but in the end, the 94 I would have bought wasn't the same kind of gun that existed in my imagination- a romantic gun of a bygone era, the hunter's most faithful companion.

Hopefully, in the future, a company who understands the vision that the model 94 brings to the american shooter will revive the name and Winchester will make a triumphant return. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks to have a well-made weapon. The cost-cutting eliminates the mystique of the gun, transmuting it from an object of legend to a cheapened mockery, an insulting jab at the american perception of quality and mass production.

I have custom-built 2 AR-15s, and done refinishing work on several other rifles. I take great pride in the handmade craftsmanship that goes into a fine weapon. I understand that factory rifles are not going to get that kind of attention, but at least allow me to believe that pride has gone into the construction.

Rant/Anecdote off
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:26:02 AM EDT
jmindler,

I'm a little concerned about there being no warranty whatsoever on the new Winchester rifles.

Buying used, you at least have some reassurance that a couple hundred rounds went through, came out straight, and the reciever did'nt crack, right?

While I don't own a Winchester, I have been thinking of a lever action for awhile before I heard this recent news. What I'd like to know is... how do Henry rifles compare to Winchester, Marlin, etc...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:51:29 AM EDT
Marlins are a superior rifle, but I wish they would expand their offerings.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:
Marlins are a superior rifle, but I wish they would expand their offerings.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:56:16 AM EDT
I agree on the comparison of Winchester and Marlin lever actions. I think Walmart sells the 336W. I'm interested in the 336C. The C is walnut, the W is "walnut finished ... hardwood".

GL

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:56:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:
jmindler,

I'm a little concerned about there being no warranty whatsoever on the new Winchester rifles.

Buying used, you at least have some reassurance that a couple hundred rounds went through, came out straight, and the reciever did'nt crack, right?

While I don't own a Winchester, I have been thinking of a lever action for awhile before I heard this recent news. What I'd like to know is... how do Henry rifles compare to Winchester, Marlin, etc...

I highly doubt it would break. '94s are reliable little rifles.
Find a nice used one for 2-300 bucks.

The Marlin 336 is a superior rifle IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:04:52 AM EDT
The new Winchester 94 I bought last year at Big 5 was $300. My trapper is in 44 Mag and it is a nice little carbine. I like the Winchesters because they feel so much slimmer and handier. That is what I was looking for. The accuracy and trigger pull are surprisingly good.
Top Top