Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Assuming he is going to a call, Lights and Siren scare bagguys off.  Funner to catch them in the act.

Cuts down on the number of future victims too
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cops complain all the time about a general disrespect for the Law.  And quite rightly.

OTOH, some cops contribute to this disrespect by their actions.

Case in point is every time someone sees a cop "getting away" with an act that would be patently illegal for the non-cop citizen.

I would think that the correct attitude for a cop who sought citizen respect and help would be to always be seen as setting a good example, not cutting corners simply because it was possible and personally conveniant.

I understand that there may be some rare instances where lights and siren are no-go.  Note the word "rare".

That not really true.  Most calls to dispatch requires the officer to get there quick and running code can slow them down more the helping them get there faster, sometimes.  The sheeple really freak out when they see the flashing blues behind them,  (think of a pothead with a joint on him/her)  

The fact is that fewer accidents are caused by cops speeding to calls thant cops running code.  Few people freak out when beeing passed but they will slam on the brakes the first flicker of blue.

Side note:  I think that some of the LED lightbars on police cares are way to bright.  At night, the new style strobes blind the fuck out of me as I drive by some one who got pulled over.  

OK, then.  In the interests of Public Safety, take all the lights off, and let the officers run with the same equipment as the rest of us .

No. I have a better idea.  Let them use common sense when and when not to use them.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where is that statute? I can't find the exemption in 20‑135.2A, and back home the state troopers seem to think it only appiles when actually responing to a call, or so they have said as we left in the big red truck.

- I know it used to be posted at my team office so I'd have to check there to for the actual state statute. In the mean time, evidence can be seen here:

Look past kid's in truck beds

and

PDF file on seat belts

The PDF reads as if the exemption is for the child seat belt laws, as in children are exempt from wearing seat belts in emergency vehicles, and indeed such an exemption is found in § 20‑137.1., in fact it appears both reference that code.... but that exempts children in emergency vehicles, not the adult operators. I can find no exemption to the law covering adults in 20‑135.2A, and if people are using the 20‑137.1. exemption thinking it covers them I do not think this is right.

This was a pretty hot issue between a couple of (new) state troopers and the volunteer firefigters in my county (a ticket was actually issued) right before I left, until it started taking a real long time to respond for any non-injury accidents or calls for traffic control those troopers were working. After the first time one said "what took you so long" and was answered "I had a real hard time getting my seat belt to buckle" they got the idea that being out on I-40 alone was no fun.........
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where is that statute? I can't find the exemption in 20‑135.2A, and back home the state troopers seem to think it only appiles when actually responing to a call, or so they have said as we left in the big red truck.

- I know it used to be posted at my team office so I'd have to check there to for the actual state statute. In the mean time, evidence can be seen here:

and

PDF file on seat belts

The PDF reads as if the exemption is for the child seat belt laws, as in children are exempt from wearing seat belts in emergency vehicles, and indeed such an exemption is found in § 20‑137.1., in fact it appears both reference that code.... but that exempts children in emergency vehicles, not the adult operators. I can find no exemption to the law covering adults in 20‑135.2A, and if people are using the 20‑137.1. exemption thinking it covers them I do not think this is right.

This was a pretty hot issue between a couple of (new) state troopers and the volunteer firefigters in my county (a ticket was actually issued) right before I left, until it started taking a real long time to respond for any non-injury accidents or calls for traffic control those troopers were working. After the first time one said "what took you so long" and was answered "I had a real hard time getting my seat belt to buckle" they got the idea that being out on I-40 alone was no fun.........

- Sorry about the PDF... I didnt look over the entire thing.  As I said, I'll have to look up the actual statute tomorrow or so.  I know it is also covered in BLET that first responder vehicles and several other types of vehicle are exempt. And it isnt dependent on being enroute to a call like speed exemptions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about a cop on a motorcycle giving me a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt?

I mean, if him and I get in a head-on collision, he's going to be the one to die.  So he should write himself a ticket to protect him from himself.

Holy shit!! How did you ever make it this far in life?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I read the first page and decided I wasn't going to read the rest.  No one has noted the public's reaction to lights and sirens.  

I have seen a guy driving in the left lane of the highway suddenly swerve to the LEFT and crash into the jersey barrier.  The right lane was empty.

I have seen people come to a stop in their lane of travel they hear sirens.

If people would move to the right, then slow down, I'm sure emergency vehicles would have no issues.

The fact is, people lose their minds when they hear and see the lights and sirens.  My preference has always been to run quickly, and hit the emergency equipment before intersections etc.  You guys all drive on the roads these days, and know that drivers are a panicky, inconsistent, and unpredictible group, that talks on the phone, eat Bic Macs, and even read while driving.

The people complaining are probably the same that complain when the police don't get there quick enough.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I read the first page and decided I wasn't going to read the rest.  No one has noted the public's reaction to lights and sirens.  

I have seen a guy driving in the left lane of the highway suddenly swerve to the LEFT and crash into the jersey barrier.  The right lane was empty.

I have seen people come to a stop in their lane of travel they hear sirens.

If people would move to the right, then slow down, I'm sure emergency vehicles would have no issues.

The fact is, people lose their minds when they hear and see the lights and sirens.  My preference has always been to run quickly, and hit the emergency equipment before intersections etc.  You guys all drive on the roads these days, and know that drivers are a panicky, inconsistent, and unpredictible group, that talks on the phone, eat Bic Macs, and even read while driving.

The people complaining are probably the same that complain when the police don't get there quick enough.

Uhhh......I think a couple of people HAVE commented about the publics reaction to lights and sirens
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, that info may come in handy once I am home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This statement is both flagrant and BOGUS!

You mean flagrant and BOGUS like a family member who is a Georgia State Cop saying to me "what are some perks to your job."  My reply... "I get to shoot a gun that fires 4000 rounds a minute."  His reply "well one of my perks is being able to drive home after shift at 110."  

sincerely,
Citizen Doorgunner84hr

While it might be true that he said this to you, I doubt he would risk his career actually doing it. Next your going to tell me that you rode with him when it happened. If that's the case, then he is a liability waiting to happen. Or maybe, we do it differently over here. We tend to have some integrity and actually try to to good despite the bad PR from some of our brethren. Some people will always argue and some people will always have different opinions and/or experiences. I think we are horse.gif!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
So rolling up to a potential burglary in progress, or domestic in progress, I should have my lights on, thereby giving away all surprise? I need to be able to observe and listen to things before i approach without them knowing Im there, to see if I can hear/observe any actual physical altercation, screaming, weapons, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't forget that in some areas, the motor vehicle code specifically excludes emergency vehicles from speed limits, parking restrictions, etc etc.

In my state emergency vehicles are ONLY exempted from speed limits while running code (lights and siren). That would make a speeding cop without lights and siren.......a criminal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:10:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The hypocrite thing pissed me off , but on the other hand a cop car going the speed limit will back up traffic sooo bad

+1

As bad as I hate cops who think they are above the law, this is one instance where I don't get worked up over it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean, if him and I get in a head-on collision, he's going to be the one to die.  So he should write himself a ticket to protect him from himself.

What's your point?  My point is that seatbelt laws are ridiculous.  I can understand writing someone a ticket for not buckling up their children, but fining an adult for not protecting themseleves is just stupid, and it pisses me off.  

I guess the government figures if I die in a car wreck then they'll lose out on some tax dollars, so it's in their interest to keep me from risking my own neck.  Fuck the government.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I think it is a good thing that police officers speed and run stops if they are careful about it.  It just means they can patrol more effectively and get to where they are needed faster.  Not just for specific calls, but just to be in areas where their presense is needed to prevent crime or catch crimes while they are happening.  

Stopping and then running a long red light at 3 in the morning at an intersection with visibility in all directions is really not that dangerous and the small potential for a collision is made up for by the greatly enhanced ability to be where they are needed most.

I am not advocating things like going 30mph faster than traffic is moving or blasting through red lights without looking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Stopping and then running a long red light at 3 in the morning at an intersection with visibility in all directions is really not that dangerous and the small potential for a collision is made up for by the greatly enhanced ability to be where they are needed most.

True, but you'll most likely get a ticket if a cop sees you doing that at 3 am.  Police have important jobs, but so do many people, and the ability to drive fast when it's safe to do so may also allow me to be more efficient in what I do.  

I don't have a problem with cops speeding in order to do their job, but I do have a problem with a cop sitting on a nearly deserted highway in west Texas waiting to catch out of towners like me safely doing 79 in a 70 for a cool $200.  That's what makes it hypocritical.  Everyone knows cops are capable of safely driving fast to get their job done, but so are you and I.  And people won't stop viewing them as hypocrites until they cut out the traffic tax bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Because if it is allegedly unsafe for me to speed, then it is likewise unsafe for them to speed.  WTF kind of question is this anyway?  The answer is so blatantly obvious, and your position is so indefensible, that you have to be making a sarcastic joke, or trolling.  A little of each perhaps?  

Because it exposes the hypocrisy of the speeding laws for what it is: Just another layer of taxation upon the fat, stupid, lazy, ignorant masses of sheeple.

Oh, and it adds to the "above the law - Us Vs. Them" mentality that is rampant in law enforcement.

If the question was genuine, look no further.  There it is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Uhhhh........could we PLEASE not bait the Cop Bashers

wtf???? You start this thread and then say that?

TXL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have to ask the question then you don't have a clue! When my car broke down my friend let me use his while he was working. When I would pick him up after his shift ended, I would watch the cops leave the lot & blow the 1st light at the corner by the station.

But thats ok, because they are Cops

BTW: Not one of them stopped for the light.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding, I thought you died instantly if you did not wear your seatbelt.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there's one thing I hate in this world it's a hypocrite,
~Dg84

Agreed.  If a situation calls for them to be speeding the light bar should flashing as well.

Well said.  Remember, just because they are cops does not mean they are above the law.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
well I guess you have ESP and know when a officer is on his way to a call or not then................

If I need a cop somewhere, I hope he is speeding to get there.  Same for a doctor, EMS, fire, and hookers too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Why anyone cares is beyond me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I would like some opinions from those who drive for a living.

I know I have witnessed a few things that just make me figure nothing will change and that it is true, "some animals are more equal than others."

Around here in the country we do not have any spiffy lights for emergency or police vehicles to flash their lights and get a green.

I have seen them come to a stop and then run the red.

One night I was behind someone who did the same thing, he got pulled over for it.  I watch the local weekly paper and sure enough, he got a ticket for doing what ambulances, fire trucks, police vehicles, and sherriff vehicles have been doing.

Out here in the country we also have fewer police per square mile so they often drive very fast.  I really dislike it when I am keeping an eye on my mirrors so I know what and when I can expect to get passed since I do the speed limit and while doing a routine check of the mirrors here is a police vehicle doing 10 or 20mph over the limit and they are really gaining ground.  I like flashing lights and what not since I see them when they are way back there and know I am going to get passed quickly.

As far as rolling up to something and not wanting to make noise, out here I think they should run lights and siren until they get somewhat close.

This way they would run lights and siren on the divided 4 lane and then when they turn off to head for their destination they can shut the lights down.

I don't expect things to change, you can have all the reasons you want.

But if it is dangerous for the average driver to slalom through traffic in a car like a z28 that they took to autocross and other driving schools, I wonder what makes it so safe for police to do it in a full size car that is generally hauling a lot of weight in the trunk and does not handle as well as that z28?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I work at a dispatch center and get complaints about the patrolmen speeding all the time.

There are many situations where officers are not supposed to have their lights or sirens on, but need to get to a scene as soon as possible.  This is especially important at night when city sounds are quieter and noise carries and lights are more obvious.

Domestic violence runs - if the suspect hears a siren, he'll often get more upset and assault the female worse than would be otherwise.

If there's a robbery or just an alarm at a business, the thiefs will be scared off before the police arrive - causing them to lose a suspect.

If there's a narcotics sale in progress - the dealers will take off, ditch, or swallow the drugs before police can get on scene.

If one officer is on a traffic stop with a person who has a warrant, an assisting officer will get there as quickly as possible without lights or sirens to backup the stopping officer.  This is so the guy dosen't fight, run, or otherwise harm the stopping officer.

There are many more situations - don't assume that just because an officer is speeding without lights/sirens, that he's just doing it because he can.

What about when the officer/cruiser is blatantly out of his jurisdiction and is doing 80+ in a 45mph highway construction zone?  I've seen it.  Also, bsed on your examples, each situation could allow use of the light bar until the officer is close to the situation.  Or, how about 1/2 mile from the station, i'm in the left turn lane and the cop comes up the straight ahead lane and cuts me off?  It is hypocrisy and that is what drives everyone nuts.  As to whoever said that moving faster through traffic allows them to see more vehicles, sitting stationary will allow them to see a bunch more and not put any one else at risk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#25]
When a cruieer goes speeding passed me, I breathe a sigh of relief because he didn't stop me for speeding  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, several reasons actually.

First off, to those that have seen "several cops bend the law for personal convenience," how can you be sure that none of the things below applied?

Secondly, let me say that when on duty, I am considered exempt from traffic laws.

If you're going to uphold the law, then you'd better fucking follow that law as well.

This statement is both flagrant and BOGUS!

I could be responding to a robbery/burglary in progress. If I roll code, then everybody with a gun pointed at a cashiers head is gonna know I'm coming for them 2 blocks away. A quick, but stealthy approach can save lives.

I could be hurrying to catch up to a speeder or someone driving unsafely up ahead.

I could be responding to any number of calls that don't require a code 3 (lights and siren) response.

I could be pacing someone that is speeding nearby (we don't have Radar/LIDAR in all of our cars).

etc.

For those who disagree with the above or still have their doubts...I guess this is how I should respond...

Citizens want you to come to their aid in an instant - but complain if they think you are driving too fast elsewhere.
Citizens want you to write motorists for 5 over the speed limit in front of their house, but when they are the motorist in front of someone else's house, they want a "break"
Citizens expect you to be stonger than the bad guys, faster than any criminal, and know more about law than a judge.
The bottom line is that they want you to actually be more than any person should be expected to be - and if you fall short - they want you fired, "they" pay your salary, they call you some jack-booted Nazi.

Welcome to my job. I LOVE IT!

First, welcome to ARFCOM
However, in Ca, you are only exempt from the rules of the road when your emergency lights are activated. And things like reckless driving laws still apply. But I would agree that following the letter of the law may be unworkable in the real world.

So, is it safe to say that most LEO's believe it is ok to break laws that they would otherwise enforce if it means they are less hampered.

By this thinking, warrents are not needed, because they hamper police activities.

Besides, if traffic laws are there to create a safe driving enviroment, then how in the hell is having someone doing 95mph though 70mph traffic safe?  Unless of course traffic laws do nothing to create a safe driving enviroment much like gun laws do not make the local crack house any safer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and

PDF file on seat belts

So if I understand your post correctly, there were Troopers out on the Interstate asking for help with traffic control.  But because you or one of your brethren had received a seatbelt ticket from a Trooper, you took your sweet time getting to the scene.  Suppose another crash had occurred because you were trying to make a point over something so trivial as a seatbelt ticket?  Nice work.  It's good to know that our emergency services agencies are working so well together...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and

PDF file on seat belts

So if I understand your post correctly, there were Troopers out on the Interstate asking for help with traffic control.  But because you or one of your brethren had received a seatbelt ticket from a Trooper, you took your sweet time getting to the scene.  Suppose another crash had occurred because you were trying to make a point over something so trivial as a seatbelt ticket?  Nice work.  It's good to know that our emergency services agencies are working so well together...

It wasn't my department, just one in my county (my departments SOP states seatbelts are always worn) that this happened to.

Traffic control is done as a favor by the volunteer fire departments for the troopers and not either a mandated nor primary duty. Legally unless there is a fire, hazmat situation, or injury requiring an ambulance there is no obligation for the FD to respond and the troopers are supposed to do all traffic control. If you want someone to do you favors, esppecially getting them out of bed at 0300 to do them, best not to be an asshole to them.

That said, my department has never had any issues with them except one asshat that gave one of our guys who was responding to a call in his POV a ticket for following too close to a firetruck, and the judge threw that one out.

But this one trooper, from the story that went around, flagged down a rescue truck as it was pulling away from an accident and gave the driver and passenger tickets for no seatbelt. There is probably more to the story for sure, and I left town for military stuff before the whole thing was calmed down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I feel all traffic laws should apply to police untill they turn on thier lights and sirens.

A fully agree.

Walk it like you talk it if you want the respect of the civilian population....otherwise, you just look like a hypocritical jerk-off.

Cops in my town seem to be a pretty good group of people, but honestly, in general, the occupation seems as though it could use a PR touch-up. That might start by coming in the form of not violating the same laws you stick it to the rest of us for breaking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Please, God, make it stop.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there's one thing I hate in this world it's a hypocrite,
~Dg84

Agreed.  If a situation calls for them to be speeding the light bar should flashing as well.

Burglary in progress, hostage situation where "if the cops are called I'll start offing people" MULTIPLE situations call for code 1, but fast, response.  

In most states it's illegal to have the lights on and no siren on.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't mind LEOs speeding and such in the line of duty, but I really blew a fuse a couple of years back when I saw a police car in a handicapped spot.

He was inside shopping.

Had he been picking up a shoplifter or something, that'd been different, and he'd have parked outside the door.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I work at a dispatch center and get complaints about the patrolmen speeding all the time.

There are many situations where officers are not supposed to have their lights or sirens on, but need to get to a scene as soon as possible.  This is especially important at night when city sounds are quieter and noise carries and lights are more obvious.

Domestic violence runs - if the suspect hears a siren, he'll often get more upset and assault the female worse than would be otherwise.

If there's a robbery or just an alarm at a business, the thiefs will be scared off before the police arrive - causing them to lose a suspect.

If there's a narcotics sale in progress - the dealers will take off, ditch, or swallow the drugs before police can get on scene.

If one officer is on a traffic stop with a person who has a warrant, an assisting officer will get there as quickly as possible without lights or sirens to backup the stopping officer.  This is so the guy dosen't fight, run, or otherwise harm the stopping officer.

There are many more situations - don't assume that just because an officer is speeding without lights/sirens, that he's just doing it because he can.

I don't know about you, but I sure can't hear a lightbar coming.
(And the backup traffic stop situation would actually be one where it's beneficial to have the lightbar on)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well I guess you have ESP and know when a officer is on his way to a call or not then................

Maybe he does, but I don't...I usually rely on the blinking lights....but 9 out of 10 times, I don't see them on. All too often do I see a Mass state trooper go whizzing by me doing well over a 100 mph...judging by our relative motion. And you can't tell me that Crispy creams are THAT good. So I say, SLOW THE F*CK down!

It's Krispy Kreme and yes, they are that good.  But to all those saying slow down, will be the ones bitching that it took them forever to get to you when you call them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(And the backup traffic stop situation would actually be one where it's beneficial to have the lightbar on)

In most of the country it's illegal to have a lightbar on and not have a siren sounding.  This is how it should be.  7 year vet of the Fire service and I can honestly say in most cases, Code 3 (lights and sirens) slows you down and in many cases, causes accidents.

Idiot sheeple with the windows up and the radio on often don't hear a siren anyway till your halfway past them. And if they happen to look up and see lights in mirror they lock up their brakes and cause further problems.  Chances are, unless you've run around a lot with lights and sirens on, you won't understand the issues with it, and advocate things like "traffic laws should be obeyed until lights and sirens are on"  If you've been around, you know better than that bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If more drivers were situationally aware, they would notice a lightbar approaching  in their mirrors long before you get to them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I feel all traffic laws should apply to police untill they turn on thier lights and sirens.

That's why you don't make the laws.

See all of the above reasons why we don't follow the normal traffic laws while on duty.

80% of the time I do exactly what the traffic laws tell me to do. But if I am responding to a call of a serious nature such as a burglar alarms, holdup alarms, domestic, what have you, I will NOT always use my lights and siren. It is unsafe for me, other officers, and any victims that might be in the area.

Does that mean I can drive in an unsafe manner? Not at all. However there are reasons for the things we do.

Now the guy just trying to get to BK doing the lights thing? I agree that's BS. Justdon't paint us all with the same brush.

Also I give about 90% warnings on my traffic stops. Some are written. I have quotas don't you know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yep, and they assume that no lights and sirens means its not a hot call.  They dont realized that we dont use lights and sirens for certain calls because they warn the badguys of our approach and draw fire.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I understand that there may be some rare instances where lights and siren are no-go.  Note the word "rare".

Rare like 3-5 times a shift for me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#41]
FWIW the fire department rolls Code-3 to all calls.  no matter how minor.

LAPD is considering a simular policy in order to cut response times. Lights and sirens to every call, even stale report calls.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Friday, 13 Jan 2006, north of Seminole, Oklahoma on Highway 99. . .got behind an Oklahoma City patrol car running 75 in a 45.  Pulled up to the stoplight and driver in plainclothes.

I would have been writing a $300+ contribution check to the State of Oklahoma. . .unless the officer was having a bad day in which case it probably would have been reckless driving.

<sarcasm>But I'm sure I don't have all the facts. . .he was probably on his way to do something important. . .</sarcasm>
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't mind LEOs speeding and such in the line of duty, but I really blew a fuse a couple of years back when I saw a police car in a handicapped spot.

He was inside shopping.

That's a different story. Yes, that would be wrong. It pisses me off every time I see *regular* people who aren't handicapped parking in those spots, let alone a police officer.

Now, as far as the speeding issue goes, yes, I don't like it when officers speed when not on a call, but face it fellas, if they DON'T speed, traffic gets backed up big time.

This is one instance where I'd rather the officer not follow the law.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Why do people get pissed?  My best explanation is because they are jealous and have no life, so they feel justified in bitching about things they have no clue about.

"Lead by example" ? You think I'm your platoon sgt?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Friday, 13 Jan 2006, north of Seminole, Oklahoma on Highway 99. . .got behind an Oklahoma City patrol car running 75 in a 45.  Pulled up to the stoplight and driver in plainclothes.

I would have been writing a $300+ contribution check to the State of Oklahoma. . .unless the officer was having a bad day in which case it probably would have been reckless driving.

<sarcasm>But I'm sure I don't have all the facts. . .he was probably on his way to do something important. . .</sarcasm>

This would be pit material right here.  [slow explaination as if talking to a backwards child] just cause you see a light bar and stickers doesn't mean the officer inside has to have a uniform on, do you ever see uniformed officers in unmarked cars?[slow explaination as if talking to a backwards child]

He very well could have been on duty.  Could have been a detective for instance and his normal ride could have been in for maintanence.  Any number of explainations for this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't mind if they are going 5-10 mph over without lights. If they are going 20+ over the limit without lights to pull over someone who was going 10 mph over, I have a problem with. It sort of cancels out..Especially if they are fishtailing all over the median strip to get into the other lane and leaving roostertails.

We had an interesting experience the other week...I saw a hwy trooper in the breakdown lane, we were driving about 5 over the limit(about 75mph), everyone was flying past us in the left lane. All of a sudden the trooper did a bootleg turn into our lane right in front of us. We couldn't go anywhere to dodge him, just mash the brakes and hope for the best. He then decided to turn on his lights and floor it. We passed him giving him a ticket to one of the people that flew past us.

So a person going 10-15 mph is more dangerous than pulling into a full lane of traffic driving at highway speeds? I wonder what my ticket would have been if we hit him?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This would be pit material right here.  [slow explaination as if talking to a backwards child] just cause you see a light bar and stickers doesn't mean the officer inside has to have a uniform on, do you ever see uniformed officers in unmarked cars?[slow explaination as if talking to a backwards child]

He very well could have been on duty.  Could have been a detective for instance and his normal ride could have been in for maintanence.  Any number of explainations for this.

Heck, I don't care if the officer was driving naked. . .but it is just another "hmmm" when I see 1) a *marked* car 2) 60 miles outside it's jurisdiction 3) with a non-uniformed driver 4) driving 30mph over the speed limit 5) *away* from the town he has jurisdiction in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I could NEVER be a police officer. They'd fire my ass yesterday. Here's some of the shit *I* would pull, just because:

* Do whatever I had to do to get on a SWAT team. Convince everyone that we need to fly over to the donut shop, pile out of the van, and make a "tactical entry". Preferably at lunch time, when there are witnesses.

* Drive the minmum speed on the freeway (45) and see how many drivers have the balls to pass. When one does work up the nerve, ride his bumper for 5 or 6 miles.

* Pull a friend over on his birthday, and write him a birthday card.

* Buy an honest-to-God pair of Jackboots on ebay, uniform be damned.

* Put  "Breast Inspection, 6' Ahead" on my bumper.

* Hang a cigarette out the window while waiting in traffic.

* Yes, saying "Meow" IS funny, and damnit - somebody needs to post real video.

* Bolt a set of spinners on my cruiser.

* Spit in my own burger at the drive through window, and say "There, now it tastes normal".

* Run plates until I find one with a CCW holder. Pull him over, hand him a box of Gold Dots and say "Merry Christmas, son".

* When the light turns green, wait a few seconds while looking distracted. See if anybody works up the nerve to honk.

* Insist on having a CB radio installed, then spend hours fucking with truckers.

* It goes without saying, I'd have an ar15.com license plate cover on my patrol car.

So, anybody know any departments that are hiring?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So, anybody know any departments that are hiring?

You are right; you couldn't do most of that stuff.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top