Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You must like the challenge. Most folks would just give up on that and walk away.We routinely chop up stuff that looks MUCH better than that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey mr44, how ya doing!  I used to spend long hours paroosing docs technical forums myself when I was much younger and into paintball.  Internets a small world.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
What Crime scene, I didn't see anything or am I missing something??

I myself would leave it alone.  I found a  Colt Peacemaker in a dried out creek bed in North Dakota a few years ago, hammer back and three live rounds still in the cylinders. The pistol grips were dried out but still intact, and not split

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
snip

I'll have more pictures up tonight.

-Hans

tag for pics. It would be so cool if you got to be shootable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You must like the challenge. Most folks would just give up on that and walk away.We routinely chop up stuff that looks MUCH better than that.

Ah  - but hes on the "tinker's guild". They often do something - because they can.

hehehe
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Tinkers guild is one thing, but coming from a family with a massive collection of Winchesters..... this is part of the family legacy! I think at last count we're up to 8 pre-64 model 70's just between Me, Dad and my Uncle. Though I'm not actually the one who found it, I'm doing the work for somebody else.   I'm trying to talk him into selling it to me, but we shall see.  

First thing I checked was the chamber and magazine, and I think the guy who actually found it may have tweaked the lever a bit forcing the action open.  Still, I'd rather have to heat and re-bend the lever than to risk putting a .38/40 through somebody.

I also have a 'parts box' model 92 that we've been working on intermittantly for about 20 years now, almost ready to blue and put it's first rounds downrange.   Probably going to do the blueing for both at the same time.

http://www.siegecraft.us/images/m73-005.jpg
http://www.siegecraft.us/images/m73-008.jpg
http://www.siegecraft.us/images/m73-010.jpg
http://www.siegecraft.us/images/m73-011.jpg
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Put it in the equipment exchange, and advertise it "Like new"...  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
So, was there any ammo in it?  If so, what kind and headstamp?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Try some liquid wrench
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#10]
No, there was nothing in the chamber or magazine.   However, the riser block is stamped .38cal, which means it's chambered in .38WCF   (.38/40)

-Hans
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, still new to the forum and it's ways of things....

'Tag'?  

-Hans
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Team members can "tag" threads to come back and look later.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
BAH! that ain't nothin. You guys have seen the stacks of rusted Thompson 1928's have'nt you? Or the STG-44's piled sky high that are rust piles??
OTOH - that is a very very cool find. And i must say quite salvagable. But it aint no collector item anymore. But still useful. I forget do those have steel or Brass recievers? i assume steel. Since the Cartridge is pistol worries aboout KB should be minimal. It's all a matter of the Barrel grooves. Everything else can be fixed or replaced. When this is fully restored pic please?? I'd like to see the outcome. Also, anyone want to find such things?? Get a metal detector a electric magnet and do some snooping! Mostly around public water bodies such as Ponds or creeks and lakes. Tons of stuff gets tossed in there even to the point where the cops have to do it them selves! There was a drought here in NY and a local pond went down 50%. A kid found a .22 cal pistol and brought it to the police, They got a magnet and went digging. When they finished they found 5 more guns in various shapes all in that one pond. Mostly pistols! I guess criminals and people who wanna dump a gun just throw them i there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Was it found in a lake bed?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Found in a peat marsh actually.   The property it was found on is a large private piece, and apparently the previous owner(s) were hunters.  Probably fell out of a truck, got left behind by accident or something similar to that.  I just find it odd that something like this was being hauled around in the field anytime recently.  Not like .38/40 is a common caliber anymore and you really can't rifle hunt in the area for quite a few years now.  The guy who owns the land now has had it for a few years, and was surprised that his kids found it.  

I agree, it's not a collectors piece anymore, but it could definitely be brought back.  It's going to be a shooter again, not a shiny trophy or a rusty relic to hang on the wall.   Oh, and since it was brought up earlier...  Genuine Winchester, not an Uberti.

-Hans
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
My GF's brother dug up a carcano in Italy on a geology maping expidition,  and US Customs allowed him to bring it back.
Wood was gone,  action was rusted shut.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Throw it in some brake fluid!  It'll get the rust off!

Wood looks like it's in nice shape....concidering.

The antique car buffs soak rusted parts in Coca-Cola.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI, that's a Winchester 1873, not an 1866.  The 1866 had a brass receiver and was only chambered in .44 rimfire.

I wish I could find something so cool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah  - but hes on the "tinker's guild". They often do something - because they can.

hehehe

i dont think tc means it as a chop up for parts he probably mean gun turn ins and when the cops steal someones guns
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, you're right it's definitely a '73

I got thrown off a bit when I first unwrapped it, the reciever looked more like tarnished brass than rusted steel for a while in the bad lighting.  After I got down to actually cleaning it, I noticed my error pretty quick.

-Hans
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hehehe

i dont think tc means it as a chop up for parts he probably mean gun turn ins and when the cops steal someones guns

No ones guns get "stolen". Re-wrap that tinfoil!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Update?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Murder weapon!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like it's time to head for the blasting cabinet!

Is the wood salvageable?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Talking about finding stuff in the woods, I know a guy who's giant black lab ran off one day and came back an hour or two later, dragging a Remington 1100 (in very good condition) by the barrel.  

He called his cop friend who ran the numbers and said it wasnt reported stolen or missing; after another check 6mo later he decided it was his to keep.  It makes a great conversation piece and hangs in his foyer.

That dog is the most spoiled dog in the county.

Kharn

That's a good dog.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Talking about finding stuff in the woods, I know a guy who's giant black lab ran off one day and came back an hour or two later, dragging a Remington 1100 (in very good condition) by the barrel.  

He called his cop friend who ran the numbers and said it wasnt reported stolen or missing; after another check 6mo later he decided it was his to keep.  It makes a great conversation piece and hangs in his foyer.

Kharn

Well hell....If my dogs came out of the woods dragging firearms that I could keep, they would eat steak every night.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
He better be careful there isn't a live round in it LOL.

Seriously that is frigging cool!  Soak it in penetrating oil for a while, he should be able to get most of the rust off.  Would be an awesome non-firing display piece for the wall.

Yep, I worked for a guy filing rust off of 1886 model Winchesters.  They weren't as rusty as the rifle in that pic, but they were plenty bad, and VERY pitted, and some of them came out looking new.  It should clean up well enough to function.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Tag because I love Winchesters, also posted this on leverguns.com
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Well hell....If my dogs came out of the woods dragging firearms that I could keep, they would eat steak every night.

AMEN!

Filet Mingon served on a silver platter!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#32]
It's salvageable.  Look at the wood, it's barely decayed (yes, I'd replace it anyway).  The metal work can be cleaned up and the barrel relined.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Kharn

Hmmm

I wonder if I can train my dog to fetch .50 BMG rifles or some P90 mags
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Makes a good case for a sling, no?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top