BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What you guys havent considered is that many people leave their connections open so other people can use them.  You also have to set up your comp to allow access by others on your network...firewalls are your friends

I saw a site one day that said many people in the Puget Sound / Seattle area are leaving their networks open on purpose.  The goal was to establish an area-wide Wi-Fi zone!  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have my unsecured wireless router in my basement.  The signal doesn't go very far so I don't worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Technically it is..... But, if he isnt hacking it and that person didnt secure it, go for it...
Just remember, its on there router. So they can see everything your doing.....(I.E. passwords)

If their router has the default password set (likely if you they don't know how to secure their connection), then you can access it and clear the access logs.  

Linksys:
user: <blank>
password:admin

Netgear
www.routerlogin.net
user:admin
password:password

But don't use it, it's really screwed up.  It will slow them down, especially if you download/upload something.  Find a way to leave them a message that their shit is not secure.  You can connect to their network and check "my network places".  If they are sharing all the files on their hard drive, you can put a file that says READ ME WHOEVER THIS IS or something and tell them how to secure it.

You can sometimes do a net send to them as well, which will cause a windows message to pop up.

Do the right thing.

With Netgear, you can establish your own security protocol, and block out anyone and everyone, and even though you might see it on your broadcast list, you'd never get in, so long as the owner has actually used any of the security available.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Double Tag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
tag-even-though-it's-all-over-my-head
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top