Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:53:22 PM EDT
PLEASE DO NOT ASK IF THESE ARE FOR SALE, OR MY THREAD WILL GET TRASHED

At the request of my wife and one of her friends, I did a couple of shirts for them. ( I make these and a bunch of other stuff as a side job.)

First:

Second: My wife wanted this on a pink sweatshirt. I got permission from Greywolf2112 to use this image.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
sweet!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

Are they screen printed of transfers?
What kind of set-up are you running?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice!

Are they screen printed of transfers?
What kind of set-up are you running?

They are both transfers. The tractor shirt is done using a Roland plotter and Thermoflex. The Kalshnikitty is done using a Roland thermal printer and ColorCut (I think that's the name of it) transfer. All done with a HIX 15" press. I'm still kinda new to this, but am learning. When I get more room, I'm going to learn screen printing. I love to know how to do this stuff and can't get enough of it. Are you in the business?

Kris
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to be...
Ran a 6 color manual for a long time.
Mostly shirts & hats (did some flatstock for a while but it sucked...)

Kind of tricky having a home based screen print outfit, so I've gotten into doing transfers
a bit lately.  Mostly "craft" style, but they seem to be holding up pretty well.
MUCH less messy and labor intesive than ink!!

Heck, for the price, it's easy to just make another if it get wrecked...

Keep up the good work!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Used to be...
Ran a 6 color manual for a long time.
Mostly shirts & hats (did some flatstock for a while but it sucked...)

Kind of tricky having a home based screen print outfit, so I've gotten into doing transfers
a bit lately.  Mostly "craft" style, but they seem to be holding up pretty well.
MUCH less messy and labor intesive than ink!!

Heck, for the price, it's easy to just make another if it get wrecked...

Keep up the good work!

So, are you just cutting them by hand? What kind of substrates you using?

I've got some videos on screen printing, but I don't have the room to set up a press or anything. Once my new house gets finished, I'll be able to set one up in the basement. I really want to learn it and do it, so it's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been avoiding "floating" elements in most of my designs, just makes things a bit easier.

Been making silly stuff like this:

so images that can stay one piece are my friend!

I'd love to step this up a bit, nothing crazy, just be able to crank out a few quality items
from time to time...( the fab shop is my main focus right now...)

I used to do a lot of handcut laquer film for screen printing and brewed up a small 4 color press,
but with the advent of computer color separation, photo emulsion is the way to go for ink.

That will require it's own "dark" room for using properly, but not impossible if you have the space.

I do miss printing, so the transfers are kind of a pacification for me...

You're a good inspiration to get me going again!
Show me one person in the civilized world that doesn't own a shirt with something printed on it!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've been avoiding "floating" elements in most of my designs, just makes things a bit easier.

Been making silly stuff like this:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/weldor/HKshirt.jpg

so images that can stay one piece are my friend!

I'd love to step this up a bit, nothing crazy, just be able to crank out a few quality items
from time to time...( the fab shop is my main focus right now...)

I used to do a lot of handcut laquer film for screen printing and brewed up a small 4 color press,
but with the advent of computer color separation, photo emulsion is the way to go for ink.

That will require it's own "dark" room for using properly, but not impossible if you have the space.

I do miss printing, so the transfers are kind of a pacification for me...

You're a good inspiration to get me going again!
Show me one person in the civilized world that doesn't own a shirt with something printed on it!!

That is a sweet shirt! Mind if I make a few? Anyways, it's not that expensive to get started in screen printing is it?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Knock yerself out! ain't my design...

I couldn't give you a hard number on start-up cost, but depending on level of output
and deligence searching for deals, I'll bet you could get rolling for a few grand?

It does add up though!

decent press, screens, ink, emulsion, vacuum light table, racks, wash station, conveyor "oven"
blah, blah, blah...

Nothing is terribly difficult, most of the headache is in image registration.
(Something you usually don't need to worry about with transfers)
If you wanted to do single color ink designs, the complexity goes down a good bit.

I guess just like anything, start small and add what you need...definitely worth it!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I once told a girl at work she looked slinky and kinky. She went out and had a shirt made with those words on it.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Knock yerself out! ain't my design...

I couldn't give you a hard number on start-up cost, but depending on level of output
and deligence searching for deals, I'll bet you could get rolling for a few grand?

It does add up though!

decent press, screens, ink, emulsion, vacuum light table, racks, wash station, conveyor "oven"
blah, blah, blah...

Nothing is terribly difficult, most of the headache is in image registration.
(Something you usually don't need to worry about with transfers)
If you wanted to do single color ink designs, the complexity goes down a good bit.

I guess just like anything, start small and add what you need...definitely worth it!

I started looking into it for doing flat stickers, but have started liking the T-shirts. I'll probably just start with a single color press to learn with and go from there. A lot of equipment I can build myself. We will see where it goes.

Kris
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I started looking into it for doing flat stickers, but have started liking the T-shirts. I'll probably just start with a single color press to learn with and go from there. A lot of equipment I can build myself. We will see where it goes.

Kris

That would be a major plus!

Heck, a single color only needs a hinged clamp to hold the screen.
Just cut a shirt board, mark it so the shirts line up the same every time,
and cure 'em with a heat gun!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/shop_rat45/shirt-kalshnikitty.jpg

tinypic.com/kbrixj.gif

Is that a good or a bad thing? I'm confused.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice...IM inbound
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/kbrixj.gif

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/kbrixj.gif

Anything with a banana is good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Exactly! Plus it's dancing so there's that, too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly! Plus it's dancing so there's that, too.

Ok. Just making sure. I got confused with the Richard Simmons looking head. Thanks for the compliment.

Kris
Top Top