Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a CZ-85 (like a CZ-75 but with ambidextrous controls).  It kept prematurely locking the slide back.  It's gone.

I have a Ruger P-90DC .45.  Rock solid reliable and very accurate.  It's my bedside gun.  I'll be adding a KP-89 or a KP-95 to my collection one of these days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have nothing against Rugers. I was just passing on what I personally expierenced with them. Way back when.

Oh and the PD paid $225 each for them and was given $250 credit towards the trade on the 226's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had a P-89 for a while.  It was solidly built, reliable and reasonably accurate.  I ended up selling it because it was too bulky for me to CCW and I couldn't get used to the long trigger pull.  Most of my pistols are single action and the Ruger trigger left a lot to be desired.

Did you have a DAO?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd say CZ. the rugers felt cheap in my hands, much more so than the Mk II that I own.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
CZ
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CZ75's are DAMN fine handguns. I owned two of them. Only sold them because I needed money at the time. They are well made handguns and are accurate as Hell.  I would rate them better than Ruger semi-autos.

Do you actually have experience with the Rugers?

Yes, I have been shooting for better than four decades and many of my shooting buddies had Ruger semi-autos, ie. P85,P89,P90 and so on.  So I  have shot and am familiar with their accuracy, handling and reliabilty from friends. I, myself do not like thier ergonomics.  Browning HP, Sig's and CZ's are much better pistols. All of my shooting friends have since gotten rid of their Ruger semi-autos for   better handguns. I am not trying to flame you. This is just  my experience with all my guns and all of the people I have shot with and shoot with now. If you like your Ruger auto... Fine. I own a Ruger 10/22, MarkIII and a GP100 .357 so I am not against Ruger. I just think other semi-autos are better guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a P-89 for a while.  It was solidly built, reliable and reasonably accurate.  I ended up selling it because it was too bulky for me to CCW and I couldn't get used to the long trigger pull.  Most of my pistols are single action and the Ruger trigger left a lot to be desired.

Did you have a DAO?

I had the double-single model with the decocker.  The long first shot pull threw me off.

I haven't had a chance to try the new 94/944 pistols.  Maybe they have improved the triggers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
While I'm perfectly happy with my P89DC, I'd probably get the CZ75B.  How do they feel in your hand?

I held them both today, and I like the thinner grips on the CZ. I have large hands and its easier for me to grip onto smaller pistols. a set of hogue grips on that bad boy, and it would be "like a glove".

how the finish on them?

the houge grips on the cz make it feel like a completely different pistol. it actually begins to feel and point like an extension of your hand.

that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I love hogue grips, I have them on my AR, 10/22, and had them on my sig.

is the finish ok on them?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
No question.  Get the CZ.

My only complaint about the CZ was the finish.  I wish they made them in a blued finish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My only complaint about the CZ was the finish.  I wish they made them in a blued finish.

was the finish not durable? or just ugly and functional? I am considering KG gunkoting it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I most definitely recommend the CZ (I owned a Ruger years ago and did not like it). I've got three CZs (75D compact, P-01 and a 75 SA). For concealed carry, I would look into the the 75 D compact or the P-01. I have both of them. Both are light (alloy frames) and great shooting da/sa guns- accurate and reliable. Only possible drawback is they are decockers. Myself, I like that. They offer a da/sa compact that you can carry cocked and locked but it is heavier because the frame is made out of steel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I most definitely recommend the CZ (I owned a Ruger years ago and did not like it). I've got three CZs (75D compact, P-01 and a 75 SA). For concealed carry, I would look into the the 75 D compact or the P-01. I have both of them. Both are light (alloy frames) and great shooting da/sa guns- accurate and reliable. Only possible drawback is they are decockers. Myself, I like that. They offer a da/sa compact that you can carry cocked and locked but it is heavier because the frame is made out of steel.

I like it all steel, weight doesnt bother me when i carry, so i want the 75 B. how was the finish on yours?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it all steel, weight doesnt bother me when i carry, so i want the 75 B. how was the finish on yours?

So far the finish has held up on each of them pretty well. They show a little holster wear in a couple of places though, mostly, because when I shoot them I draw from a holster rather than picking them up off the shooting bench.
I really recommend the 75B if you don't mind the weight. I don't think you will be disappointed. You will get a great gun without spending a lot of money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
stay away from the Rugers. I have seen many of them go full auto, lock up, split barrels etc.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

was the finish not durable? or just ugly and functional? I am considering KG gunkoting it.

Nope just don't like that crap.  It's bad enough I have to have it on my .303 enfield.

I like blued, parked or stainless when it comes to metal.

Going to buy a beater CZ75 and parkerize it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
question. are there problems with the CZ75B? reliability/accuracy? I like being able to fire it double or single action, and it has a saftey that works the same as a 1911.

anything wrong with the ruger P series? reliability/accuracy? I want one of the ones with the manual safety and metal frame.

its one or the other, so no "get both". I would like it in 9mm. I know its not 45, so dont flame me.

this will be used for CCW when I get it, home defense, and SHTF use.

your opinion?

I have seen lots of folks with Ruger cenerfire semi-autos, and while I have never seen one break, I have also never seen an owner who was truly thrilled with them. Their casting process also tends to lead to bulkier guns than the milled guns of other makers. They tend to have pretty bad triggers and less than ideal ergonomics. They seem to work okay, but frankly I am not fond of them.

Lots of folks like the CZ-75 pistols. They are great quality for the money.

Frankly for around the same money you can probably get a Beretta 92, a Walther P-99, or a used Sig P229/P228/P226, all of which I have more experience with and reccomend heartily.

Given the two choices you mentioned, however, I would stick with the CZ-75 as I believe it is a much higher quality piece for the money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't know about the CZ but I would stay away from the Rugers. I know many of you own them, never had a problem etc. But I have seen many of them go full auto, lock up, split barrels etc.

Can't go wrong with the Ruger P series. Strongest pistol I know of. Big and bulky though. A beast for CCW.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry my P89 all the time. It may be at bit bulky, but I know it won't fail. It's coming up on 10,000 rounds with only 2 failures. Both were reloads. I have no experience with the CZ.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I used a P-89 in the police academy and had good success with it. It was pretty accurate, and I have also shot the CZ as well, and liked it also. I have heard both good and bad with both, but I would get what I wanted after I tried them both out. I am thinking of a P-345 one of these days
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quit bringing up facts. Some known ARFCOM members say Rugers are shit...threfore it must be true.

I've said at least 20 times how reliable my Ruger P94 is, and it makes no difference because some people that have never owned or shot one says "They suck" even though they don't.

Do they have the best ergonomics on the planet? No, but whatever...I paid $349 for my stainless P94.

I'm even known so much for my Ruger ownership that even been refered to as "Ruger Boy".
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The Ruger is fine if you like a cheaply made crap, that is of such substandard material that a fucking 9mm has to be as thick as a small block Chevy motor, and weigh about the same, and has a schlocky, shitty trigger that feels like its made from the pull-tab of a Miller can and the rubber bands from a 15 year-old's braces.

SG
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#23]
CZs are very nice, accurate, reliable pistols.  I have a CZ75 9mm ,  a CZ75SA in .40,  and a CZ97 in .45.

I have heard good things about the Ruger pistols, until I read this thread.  They just never appealed to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Ruger is fine if you like a cheaply made crap, that is of such substandard material that a fucking 9mm has to be as thick as a small block Chevy motor, and weigh about the same, and has a schlocky, shitty trigger that feels like its made from the pull-tab of a Miller can and the rubber bands from a 15 year-old's braces.

SG

Not worthy of an actually response.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SG

I think the word you were looking for was actually "actual"

Besides, no matter how much you try to rationalize it, 9mm, even a bulky, shitty, schlocky one,  is for women and pansies.

SG
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't know about the CZ but I would stay away from the Rugers. I know many of you own them, never had a problem etc. But I have seen many of them go full auto, lock up, split barrels etc.

BS

I have fired several of these.  Shoot by buddy's 89 all the time.  Have been soliciting many opinions on the P series lately.  Done much research.  Will be buying a Ruger P95 when I get next paycheck.

Nothing, but nothing I have dug up talks of anything but the reliability of the Rugers.  I also like the CZ's.   Ruger also has a P frame in .45.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=24575
www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=147469
www.lesjones.com/posts/000274.shtml
www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-74041.html

I'm from Mo if you have any split barrels show me.  Otherwise .
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SG

Besides, no matter how much you try to rationalize it, 9mm, even a bulky, shitty, schlocky one,  is for women and pansies.

SG

I actually agree with that statement. I'm mildly fucked up right now, spelling even worse than usual.

Well I guess I'm not a women or pansy since I use a Ruger .40.

Either way, no matter how much you try to rationalize it, only a would make the assinine statement you made.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a Ruger P-85 9mm many years ago - solid performer without any problems, and ok accuracy.  However, it would not be on my top 10 list of most liked pistols.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Had a Ruger P-94 in .40S&W.  It wouldnt go through a 50 round box without a failure to feed.  I had some reliability work done on it, and it was a lil bit better, but not by much.  When it fired, its accuracy was doing good to be considered par for the course.

My friend has a really well used CZ85Combat, and I want it bad.  I've personally fired 1,000 rounds through it, all jam free.  Its accuracy is very nice.  So far the round count on her CZ85Combat is around 20,000.  

Yes I wanna hit it(her)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Had a Ruger P-94 in .40S&W.  It wouldnt go through a 50 round box without a failure to feed.  I had some reliability work done on it, and it was a lil bit better, but not by much.  When it fired, its accuracy was doing good to be considered par for the course.

My friend has a really well used CZ85Combat, and I want it bad.  I've personally fired 1,000 rounds through it, all jam free.  Its accuracy is very nice.  So far the round count on her CZ85Combat is around 20,000.  

Yes I wanna hit it(her)

I wonder why that is, I mean how one gun can work perfectly like my P94 and then others like yours have issues.

People love CMMG AR's, but I had numerous problems with one. I have a different one now, so it may be fine and probably is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#31]
My opinion is that the CZ75 is right up there with the very best handguns ever made.  Very good pistol and I would not feel the least bit bad about carrying one every day of my life.  Mine is a Springfield Armory assembled P9 (European American Armory made Springfield assembled and finished) I beleive it is one of the best handguns ever.  First rate in reliability and accuracy.  

The only Rugers I have are centerfire rifles and rimfire rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a 45. CZ75B doesn't fit that bill. P345 does.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]
CZ-75.  A proven design.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SG

SG

I actually agree with that statement. I'm mildly fucked up right now, spelling even worse than usual.

Well I guess I'm not a women or pansy since I use a Ruger .40.

Either way, no matter how much you try to rationalize it, only a would make the assinine statement you made.

Or a drunk asshole stirring the shit.

I really don't give a fifth of a shit if you buy a Ruger or not, but it did make for some  fun banter on a Friday night.

I'm in too good a mood from my new M1A I bought today.

Sorry...

SG
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't know about the Ruger  but I absolutely love my CZ 75 SA!!!!    I am not positive I would keep my HK USP over it!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No, but a CZ97 does, and its also one of the finest .45acp chambered handguns out there.  Same girl I shoot with has one, an yes, I've shot it numerous times.  

Oh, and yes I'd still tap her ass given the chance
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but a CZ97 does, and its also one of the finest .45acp chambered handguns out there.  Same girl I shoot with has one, an yes, I've shot it numerous times.  

Oh, and yes I'd still tap her ass given the chance

I'm aware of the CZ-97 (got one), but he specifically asked about a CZ-75B.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I have owned both. The CZ-75 is the better gun, no doubt. Mine was the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired or owned (I just sold it in the EE). It was also reliable; I never experienced any kind of jam or failure with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Love my CZ and all my clones
Tanfoglio TA-90 was my first handgun, still have it

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#40]
As a CZ 75B owner, I have to say they are great guns. They are not in the same class as Glocks, Sigs, and HKs (the innards are not as nicely machined), but they are reliable and great shooters. Once you have the CZ 75B, you'll want the 97, and then ...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#41]
buy the CZ. its a $600 handgun that doesn't cost $600.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#42]
i actually have had both and never had a problem with either one.  I shoot the CZ much better just because of the grip and the fact that it points more like a 1911.   either would be ok, but i'd lean toward the CZ just because ergonomics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
question. are there problems with the CZ75B? reliability/accuracy? I like being able to fire it double or single action, and it has a saftey that works the same as a 1911.

anything wrong with the ruger P series? reliability/accuracy? I want one of the ones with the manual safety and metal frame.

its one or the other, so no "get both". I would like it in 9mm. I know its not 45, so dont flame me.

your opinion?

hehe, I ask almost the exact same question six months ago. Ended up with a glock. Before I got the glock I had moved away from the CZ mentally because I heard about lots of problems with WWM ammo. This worried me because I knew I would be shooting a lot of that.

Do you mean Winchester White Box?

If so my experiance with that ammo in my CZ-75SA is that its total shit. 1st hundred round box i bought (9mm) all i got was one FTE per mag with it.

meanwhile i've fed ammo through that pistol that would make a glock choke (guy with a 19 at the range was shooting Brown Bear same stuff I was shooting and his gun locked up with the brown bear) took the offendeing round and fed it through it my CZ no problem. Wolf, silver bear, brown bear, remington umc not a problem.

now fast forward to last weekend. I decided to try it again. bought another box from a diffrent wal mart. not as bad this time I got one FTE by the 3rd magazine. fed some though a sterling 9mm SMG a few weeks ago. it jamed it several times. ran some S&B through the same gun after the winchester and the gun ran fine.

people will disagree with me on this but IN my experiance winchester white box ammo is shit.  I wouldn't base my handgun buying decisions on one ammo. my wal mart sells blazer brass 9mm for $5.97 a box and it runs wonderfully.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#44]
thanks for your wonderfully opinianated opinions. I think that i will end up with the CZ. I currrently have a WTB posted in the handguns section.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Stick with a CZ.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

your opinion?

Ruger P series pistols are extremely reliable and tough. They can be very accurate if you get used to the sloppy triggers. They are too fat to be practical for a carry gun.
Get a CZ compact. ok to carry, excellent accuracy.

We used Ruger 9mms on our range for rentals and we cleaned them once a week and they each fired over 1k rounds a week for years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

your opinion?

Ruger P series pistols are extremely reliable and tough. They can be very accurate if you get used to the sloppy triggers. They are too fat to be practical for a carry gun.
Get a CZ compact. ok to carry, excellent accuracy.

We used Ruger 9mms on our range for rentals and we cleaned them once a week and they each fired over 1k rounds a week for years.

I am liking the CZ more and more......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#49]
get the CZ..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top