Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
bugs bunny the most, also scooby doo, pink panther, ant and the advark, ect..
and others mentioned in the 1st post. Cartoons were much better then.
Those were back in the days when you bought the cereal according to the best prize they were offering inside.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Dwoog34/Dastardly_Muttley_cast.jpg

My wife's favorite! She used to watch them, the Wacky Races, and Penelope Pitstop at home, growing up in Scotland in the 1970s. Toon culture is everywhere!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Primetime cartoon:  Where's Huddles

OMG- somebody else actually remembers that show- I think it was on for the summer season of 1970- and that was that!

"He's got his ball, let's hear it for Huddles- and he's over the old goal line!"

"Six Months's suspension!

NO, COACH!"

"I wanna play football with you dear- bowbowbowbowbbbowbowbow...."

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Battle of the Planets?
(G-Force, etc)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
OMG!!! Quisp cereal.  I used to love those little flying saucer shaped pieces of heaven.  As for Isis.....

Here is something more recent.....

One of my favorites!!!

Star Blazers.  Take a WWII Battle ship and turn it into a laser firing space ship.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
What about:

Rickety Rocket? (Possibly the most racist cartoon ever made)

Speed Buggy

Wheely and the Chopper Bunch

BTW: I think that they could do a major motion picture about Thundar the Barbarian. Get Dolf Lundgrin or Arnold to play him.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
there was a show called something like Korg: 20,000,000 years B.C.

and let's not forget Mr. Magoo.  I think it came on after Love American Style.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Another live action show: Dr. Shrinker

Lots of those '70s shows listed here
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#9]
" I am Tarzan,Lord of the jungle!"
Super Cats or something like that , I used to call them "Stupid Cats".
Rocky and Bullwinkle
FlashGordon
thats about all I can remember that wasn't said already.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
retrosuperheroes.com/Herculoids%20linl.jpg

Wow,forgot about that one. Really good cartoon!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

One of my favorites!!!
www.otal.umd.edu/~mgk/blog/yamato.jpg
Star Blazers.  Take a WWII Battle ship and turn it into a laser firing space ship.  

Yep I have all three seasons on DVD...

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Blackstar, and Devlin. Wtf was Ookla supposed to be anyway?(Thundarr)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about Pink Panther?  Used to eat the cereal too.  Man... these bring back memories.  Kids today need that old stuff instead of this crap they show.  In fact, there aren't that many cartoons on regular tv anymore are there?

No, regular TV is shit now. No good toons on the 3 networks, no Saturday mornings like the old days.

But, there are some great cartoons now for kids of all ages - I watch a healthy dose with my kiddo, and some are very good.

Believe me, our nostalgia has made our memory soft - watch some of those old toons now, they pretty much stink if you get right down to it. The animation is jumpy and slow, or just crude, and the stories/voices are juvenile. I think today's toons are often times (not always, but generally) smarter and better done.

Yeah,  they defanetly are a different breed. I do like Kids Next Door and SpongeBob. Dragon Ball Z is pretty good along with Fairly Odd Parents .Thats about it for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OMG!!! Quisp cereal.  I used to love those little flying saucer shaped pieces of heaven.  As for Isis.....

Before anybody goes on about "what a hag", I say she still looks good- how many women in their 50s look this good?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thundar the Barbarian rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arial was totally hot.

+1

So much better than He Man

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, how about Crusader Rabbit?

Also, remember Hobo Kelly on KTTV in L.A.? Sheriff John? I was thrilled when he wished me a happy 5th birthday over the air....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Underdog...
Does anyone remember Gigantor?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My 5 year old daughter only watches Boomerang!
She loves Dick Dasterdly and Muttley. She thinks she's funny when she laughs like Muttley.
She knows no curse words, only "Drat and Double Drat!"

I hate anything after the Smurfs. All things cartoon went downhill after that, IMHO.

Smurfs were definitely the beginning of the end.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my favorites!!!
www.otal.umd.edu/~mgk/blog/yamato.jpg

Yep I have all three seasons on DVD...

Finally, someone said Star Blazers -- that was da bomb!!!
That's goin right up on the wishlist!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Deputy Dawg with Musky and Vince (What happened? What happened!?)

Huckelberry Hound

Sigmund and the Seamonsters

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#21]
LAND OF THE LOST

ARE YOU PEOPLE, LIKE, SLEEPING????

hee hee...the "Dr. Shrinker" theme has been stuck in my head since 1974!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
bugs bunny the most, also scooby doo, pink panther, ant and the advark, ect..
and others mentioned in the 1st post. Cartoons were much better then.
Those were back in the days when you bought the cereal according to the best prize they were offering inside.

theimaginaryworld.com/tic316.jpg

Quake could kick Quisp's ass.  

ETA:  This was actually Ed Sr. in his younger days.  The arms give it away.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#23]
This whole thread is FLASHBACK CITY!!!!

Thus, uber sweet!!!  My childhood pretty much sucked except for Saturday Mornings....I can still remember my late best friend and I dropping the works and hoisting huge, sugar laden bowls of Cheerios to the theme of "Land of the Lost".

and, dammit, Isis WAS HOT , HOT , HOT !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
How 'bout Clutch Cargo and his pals Spinner and Paddle-foot???  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#25]
capt. caveman, wheelie & the chopper bunch, bugs & daffy show, space ghost, huckleberry hound, magilla gorilla, hokie & ding, deputy dog & musky, there are just soo many, plus the owns already mentioned. those were the days
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#26]
anyone remember the jackson 5 cartoon[they did the osmonds too] the funny thing is micheal was always the one swooning over the girls how ironic. and the nra hateing libtard director richard donner of leathel weapon fame was the director for the banana splits remember mouton the pirate
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#27]
How about, I believe it was G-Force with the Phoenix
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
not quite 70s but very early 80s
TurboTeen the dude that turned into a camaro
or really old crap Tennesee Tuxedo

Sponsored by GM/Chevy
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How 'bout Clutch Cargo and his pals Spinner and Paddle-foot???  

That wasn't a cartoon- that was Smell-O-Vision. One of the worst ripoffs ever to hit the airwaves, and even the dimmest bulb back then knew it. It died a quick and merciful death.

http://www.toontracker.com/clutchcargo/cargo.htm

"Those Crazy Clutch Cargo Lips!

Mr. Gillette's Synchro-Vox system was used in Clutch Cargo to combine live-action human lips with animated drawings. To make the characters speak, the lips of a live human actor were filmed and then superimposed over the motionless drawings of the character's face. To further cut costs, action was simulated using clever wiggling of the camera or the drawing itself. Walking or running was accomplished by showing the character from the waist up, to eliminate complicated leg animation. The use of real live objects, again superimposed, also helped to keep costs down. Real smoke was used for explosions and an actual balloon substituted for a bubble-gum bubble."

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
8-man and Giantor!

Dam, thats old. I remember
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#31]
The Jonny Quest back then was better than the new one now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The Jonny Quest back then was better than the new one now.

Children with guns, using them to defend themselves-Gasp-Oh, my!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#33]
George, George, George of the Jungle
Strong as he can be....
Watch out for that tree!

Ursala was a toon hottie!

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I read the whole thread I can't believe there isn't (at least I didn't see it) any mention of my very favorite at the time...

(I think DynaGirl was my very first "crush"... )

Quoted:
... Yep, HR Puffenstuff was part of Sid and Marty Kroft. Also had the Far out Space Nuts, Sigman the Sea Monster and Wonder Buggy...

Plus the above, Lidsville, and Doctor Shrinker.

...  Anyone remeber Space Giants? It was from Japan. It was a family of giant robots that turned into jets that shot lightning.

I rushed home from elementary school to catch that in the afternoons on (then) WTBS...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#35]
THUNDERCATS....HO!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah Saturdays used to be great for a kid, now all of the cartoons & "children's shows" suck. My favorite was "Creature Feature" at noon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#37]
The Mighty Hercules

Hercules

First, let's get this straight: I'm not referring to any wimpy Disney incarnation or pretty-boy live-action stud here, I'm talking about the real thing, the animated Herc that ruled my Saturday afternoons when I was a kid. It was classic animation. Every episode, it was the same plot: some beastie or bad guy trashes the tiny Greek kingdom of Calidon (renters must have had a hell of a security deposit) and the big guy is forced to come down from whatever Olympian orgy he's attending to perform a little deus ex machina on someone's sorry ass. Not much going on in the personality department, but you had to respect the guy. Never could figure out the whole ring thing, though. Why would a god need a ring to get stronger? And why would villains and monsters politely wait while he charged up? And why wait until the heat of battle to tap the juice? Why not charge up the ring as part of his morning ritual, like flossing or sucking in his gut in front of the mirror? So many questions. B

Newton

The lovable centaur who acts as Herc's sidekick. We know he's lovable because he has a really high-pitched voice, and everything he says comes out repeated twice ("Herc! Herc! Over here! Over here!"). Personally, given the historically raunchy reputations of the Classical centaurs, I'm aghast a generation of children are denied basic truths of Graeco-Roman mythology. But then my displeasure is tempered by another deeper, more disturbing question: How the hell did that little quadruped do it? No matter where they were, all Herc had to say was, "Newton! My bow and arrow! My shield! My thermonuclear warhead!" and off Newton went to fetch it from the nearest tree trunk. Ten seconds later, Herc is armed and ready. Were the villains kind enough to pick the same field all the time for their little rumbles, or did this four-footed freak of nature have weapons of mass destruction stockpiled in every tree trunk in the kingdom? Eerie. B-

Helena

Herc's girlfriend. Um... and that's about it. Really, character development isn't exactly a priority when you've only got five minutes to defeat the Sentient Rock Men of Mykonos, or whoever's causing trouble that week. She was blonde, she wore short togas, and she got kidnapped once a week. End of story. C

The Young King of Calidon
I'm sure he had a name in the series, but I can't remember it right now, which is all you need to know about his importance to the plot. Every five minutes, he's being invaded by conquering armies, legendary beasts, and power-mad sorcerers, and his entire defence plan seems to consist of having Hercules on the ancient Grecian equivalent of speed dial. Corrupt politics and intern-related scandals are a small price to pay for the security of knowing we'll never again have to put up with dorks like this winning the leadership lottery. D

Daedalus

The unofficial leader of the only three villains in Calidon... which is about as prestigious as being elected treasurer of your bowling team. Straightforward, by-the-book villainy here, usually with a ferocious beast or magic spell providing him with the necessary tools to gain his prize -- the throne of Calidon, which from what I could tell consisted of literally just that. Still, you had to give him some credit -- no matter how many times Herc dragged his sorry butt back to an Olympian prison cell, the Daedster kept coming back to scheme anew. Never could figure out the mask, though -- you wouldn't think that cackling, power-mad sorcerers would have an issue with people getting to know the real person inside. C-

The Mask
Speaking of masks that make no sense, here's a candidate for the Darwin Awards if there ever was one. His shtick is that he wears the "Mask of Vulcan," a giant soup tin with eyeholes that makes him invincible. Which is just super-duper, except it kinda doesn't work when you go around telling everyone this little fact!!! It never fails; every time the Mask shows up, Herc bruises his knuckles trying to beat up the guy, and the Mask laughs. "Nothing can harm me," he cackles, "so long as I wear the Mask of Vulcan!" Scene cuts to Herc with a giant stick/magnet/can opener and yoinking it off his head. I mean, really. I know criminals aren't Mensa candidates to begin with, but even pro wrestling fans can see the problem here. D-

Wilamene

Our third entry in the Only-Three-Bad-Guys-in-The-Kingdom Club is, in fact, a woman, created apparently for the sole purpose of giving Helena bigger roles than "Screaming Hostage #1." While the other two baddies content themselves with power and riches, this one chases after Herc's girlfriend and feeds her the Potion of Aging, or some such thing. Frankly, I'm surprised Naomi Wolf hasn't weighed in on this topic, but I'm sure she will eventually, so I'll remain mute. The only other thing I couldn't figure out is her repetitive choice of wardrobe. Come to think of it, all three bad guys wore the same full-length purple toga in every episode, even when they were in disguise. Beats me why -- though I'm sure an audit of the animation lab's supply closet would have shown someone with a serious overstock of Indigo #9. Just a thought. C-

The Theme Song
Catchy. Simple, yet it gets the message across about our big guy -- people are safe when near him, and only the evil fear him. I'm just wondering who came up with the line "with the strength of ten ordinary men." Maybe ordinary men were tougher back in the ancient days, but I'd want more than my uncle's baseball team backing me up if the Bolias Beast ever got loose in the backyard. B

Hercules,
hero of song and story
Hercules,
winner of ancient glory
fighting for the right
fighting with his might
with the strength of ten
ordinary men
Hercules,
people are safe when near him
Hercules,
only the evil fear him
softness in his eyes
iron in his thighs
virtue in his heart
fire in every part
of the mighty
Hercules!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Was not a cartoon but I remember Sigmund and the Sea Monster
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I loved Starblazers...it was soooo dramatic.  It was some of the original Anime from Japan.

Nothing else like it at the time....now it's all japanese.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Johnny Quest (Dr. Quest had to be gay didn't he?),

JONNY QUEST... turn in your kid card  

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Johnny Quest (Dr. Quest had to be gay didn't he?),

JONNY QUEST... turn in your kid card  

www.classicjq.com/images/DougWildeyMontage_frontpage.jpg

Haadji would be offensive in todays world.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I loved Starblazers...it was soooo dramatic.  It was some of the original Anime from Japan.

Nothing else like it at the time....now it's all japanese.

I remember watching that before school, like 6:30am.  Loved that ship.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I liked Monster Squad with a pre-Love Boat Fred Gandy as a wax museum night watchman who revived Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstein to go out and fight crime!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Oh my god! I can't beilieve I forgot about Dr. Shrinker! I remeber some of that song!
Dr. Shrinker
Dr. Shrinker

He's a mad man with and evil mind!

Damn that just made me laugh!

Oh yea I do remeber G-force and the fiery phoenix! I loved that show.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#45]
HR Puff & Stuff
Bugaloos
LidsvilleSigman and the Sea monsters
Josie and the Pussycats
Skyhawk
Speed Racer
Flintstones
Peebles and Bam Bam Show
The Cat and The Funky Phantom Ghost
Land of the Lost
Bannana Splits
League of Justice
Batman
Superman
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I was trying to remeber the name of Starblazers. Where they raised the battleship Yomato and made it space worthy to go kill aliens! Bad Ass Cartoon!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Two of my favorite cartoons were on Canadian TV:

rocket robin hood

and

Spiderman

Anyone remember the song?

spiderman, spiderman.

Cartoons today, especially on Saturday AM, suck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
And the BBC's Danger Mouse

"Tiptoeing though the Penfolds" was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life.

Are they on DVD?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I liked Monster Squad with a pre-Love Boat Fred Gandy as a wax museum night watchman who revived Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstein to go out and fight crime!

DAMN!!!!  That is the FIRST TIME I have thought of that show since the 1970's...

SWEET!!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Fat Albert
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top