Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 1:21:42 PM EDT
www.avpics.de/lffamp/me109hw.wmv

listen to that Daimler-Benz .... sweet plane...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for home...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazing, how it lands, dog-legged, into the crosswind. And I thought only B52s did that!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Amazing, how it lands, dog-legged, into the crosswind. And I thought only B52s did that!

All planes can be crabbed into the wind for a landing.  The unique thing about the BUFF is that the landing gear TURN to remain straight with the runway axis even as the plane is weathercocked into the crosswind.  I've never seen any other plane be able to do that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That is cool!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like one of the Spanish birds - is it really a Bf109?

G
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The spanish ones have an enlarged cowling to fit a Merlin into them. That is a daimler powered German aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
OKey dokey.

Is this the one that was pulled out of a swamp in Russia and rebuilt?  Just asking because I was pretty sure the only remaining Bf109s were in museums.  No?  

G
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
oh man that is awesome....

boy those things land at a high speed too

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That's one hell of a leaf blower you have there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The spanish ones have an enlarged cowling to fit a Merlin into them. That is a daimler powered German aircraft.

Not all looked like that. About 20 years ago, I saw a Bf109 of Spanish vintage with a very strange pointed spinner and smooth nose out in front of the MBB (Messerschmitt-Blohm-Boelkow) offices in Augsburg.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
oh man that is awesome....

boy those things land at a high speed too

Which is why so many people died in them, due to that and the narrow track of the landing gear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

It is a Daimler-Benz engine!!!!

Appears to be a Bf-109G6 series, note the blisters just forward of the cockpit which is a dead givaway to the G6 series.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OKey dokey.

Is this the one that was pulled out of a swamp in Russia and rebuilt?  Just asking because I was pretty sure the only remaining Bf109s were in museums.  No?  

G

From a webpage written by a German:

"Bf 109 G-6 "FM + BB" (Messerschmitt-Stiftung/Germany)

www.adlertag.de/heute/airworthy.htm

At the beginning of the seventies, the Messerschmitt AG decided to bring a Bf 109 back in the skies with Daimler-Benz engine. therefore, the Spanish HA-1112 M-1L serial number 195, built in 1959 and later displayed as "black 8" of the I./JG 27 in an US museum.

When the restoration begun in 1976, the workers discovered, that the fuselage came from German production, being an "original" Bf 109 fuselage. The engine came from Sweden in 1978, being a licence built DB 605. It was checked in Germany and installed to the Bf 109. A huge number of problems threatend to destroy the project, but on 4th April 1982 the Bf109 took of for its maiden flight.

Until summer 1983 it flew 49 times and was a highlight at many air-shows.

On June the 3rd 1983, the plane broke out during the takeoff and ended as a wreck.

The MBB decided to repare the plane another time. Another Ha 1112 fuselage was bought in France (serial number 156) and in Spain suddenly original construction documents were discovered, that enabled the restorateurs to reconstruct nearly every part of the "Gustav".

The engine survived nearly undamaged and was used for the new plane, after it was carefully reviewed. More spare parts were organized and so the Bf 109 got a more realistic view, than before. Also the handling was better than that of the first restored Bf 109.

The first takeoff was in June 1986, three years after the crash. Since that time, the "FM+BB" travelled from air-show to air-show, now belonging to the "Messerschmitt Foundation" and based in an EADS hangar at the Manching airbase.

On the ILA 2002 in Berlin, there it cames nearly to a desaster. During a show-flight, the "FM+BB" suddenly got a smoke trail and Walter Eichorn had to land the warbird with a standing propeller. Because it is even difficult to fly a functional Bf 109, the achievement of the pilot is very honorable. The landing was okay, but the engine wasn´t. What had happened? During the time coal dust deposited on the crankshaft. This caused a connecting rod to knock through the engine and leaving a hole, with the seize of a fist! The repair - the changeing of the engine - was planned to be completed in early 2003, but it was late 2004, until the FM+BB was able to fly again. It´s first presentation in flying display was at Hahnweide on September 2nd 2005."
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Nine-Five!

G
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Red Seven crashed last year. It was a 109G6 built with an HA-1111 donor fuselage. It is a shame! The owner spent years rebuilding it to G6 specifications and I don't think he had insurance. Some aircraft enthusiasts think all 109s should be grounded for the sake of posterity and I have to agree. It is nice to see them fly, but they're simply too tricky and too rare to risk for the sake of entertainment. If folks want to fly 109s, let them build replicas.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd give my left nut to get checked out in that thing.

Truly awsome. Thanks for posting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top