Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:42 AM EDT
When our heater turns on it makes a loud sort of electric humming buzzing sound. The sound is very noticeable and distinct. It is an intertherm unit.

Anyone out there specialize in heating/cooling?

What would make this thing be so damn loud? Would I be able to fix it myself or is it going to cost an arm, leg and kidney?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
draw down and do a double tap

I would say call a pro but their probably is one here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it an electric unit or gas?

If electric it sounds like a sequencer or it could be a fan relay.

If it is gas it could be a fan relay.

If it has a control module (board) on it then it could be something on it making the noise.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
electric heat?

shorted coil I'm guessing.

(Holiday Inn last night)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
electric.................
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
electric.................

Is it a residential or mobile manufactured home?

Does it have a control board in it?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Could be the  240 to 24 volt  transformer. Try giving it a tap with something non metalic. Or it could just be loose mounting screws.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a contactor buzzing. SOme contactors have rubber pads to keep them from doing that and they deterorate over time. You need to pull the covers off and try & locate the source of the noise first, then go from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top