Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:39:10 PM EDT
Okay, so a few days ago I bid on and won what I thought was a wireless G router that was also 802.11 b backwards compatible.  Now I am looking at the auction and the router is described as a being a dual A + B wifi router, not a G + B router.

At first I thought I had screwed up and didn't read the product description but under the section "Questions from other members", there is this question and answer:

Q: Is this compatible w/ 802.11g Pre-N PC card WGM511 & also w/ non-Liksys 802.11b PC cards?
Jan-02-06
A: As long as the card supports 802.11G or 802.11b you'll be fine. It will run in mixed mode.

Is it possible that the seller changed the description after the auction was over?

Here is a link to the auction:

Router auction

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The description cannot be changed after the auction ends.  Actually I do not think the description cannot be changed once an item has a bid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The description cannot be changed after the auction ends.  Actually I do not think the description cannot be changed once an item has a bid.

Second statement is correct.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This is true.  You can add addendums but cannot change anything that was on the page when it received a bid.

Most likely you didnt read the description correctly.

This is one area where ebay actually does a good job of policing sellers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure the answer is no.  Once the item ends, it can't be changed.  If I remember correctly, there is a note displayed if the seller revised the item description during the auction.  I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do work for eBay, albeit not in the software side.

A, B, G Linksys wireless routers usually go for $40 to $50 NIB so considering the price you won at, its probably not a G type.

What are you planning to run on the wireless?  Some stuff advertised a G type may be backwards compatible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, so a few days ago I bid on and won what I thought was a wireless G router that was also 802.11 b backwards compatible.  Now I am looking at the auction and the router is described as a being a dual A + B wifi router, not a G + B router.

At first I thought I had screwed up and didn't read the product description but under the section "Questions from other members", there is this question and answer:

Q: Is this compatible w/ 802.11g Pre-N PC card WGM511 & also w/ non-Liksys 802.11b PC cards?
Jan-02-06
A: As long as the card supports 802.11G or 802.11b you'll be fine. It will run in mixed mode.

Is it possible that the seller changed the description after the auction was over?

Here is a link to the auction:

Router auction

I think you just bought what is essentially a 802.11b router.  Max speed is limited to 11mbps regardless of the hardware on the other end.  While it will run with 802.11g equipment (by running "b" mode), it can't do "g" speeds, ever.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, that is an A+B router. The giveaway if the dual 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies used. A is 5Ghz.

Just use it as a 802.11b router or get an A card off EBay cheap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The seller's answer was accurate:  The router should run with a 802.11g pre-n card, in 802.11b mode, which was an affirmative answer to the question posed.  The question didn't ask if the router was a 802.11g or pre-N router, it asked if the router could interface with the specified card.

The seller is not (normally) able to change the auction description once bids have been made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top