Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
To use up some of a free sunday afternoon and evening....

First--find a good, fatty cut of pork.  The Boston Butt is good (bone in or boneless is fine), but in this case, I walked into Wally World and found Boneless Pork Picnic Shoulder for $0.88/lb, so I used that.

Unwrap the pork, (in my case, I cut the netting off also) and rinse.

Make a rub:  3 parts Brown Sugar/ 1part Kosher Salt/ 1 Part seasonings (paprika, ground mustard, garlic, black pepper among others).

Rub well on Pork.

Let Sit for several hours (overnight is fine) in the refrigerator.

Put it in the Smoker

Start a heavy smoke and keep the smoker at 250 degrees.  I have a gas smoker and used apple wood chips (just because I had them).

Half Way through cooking process--notice 2 thermometers--one in the meat (should reach 195-100 degrees when done) and one for the cooking chamber.  Temp Control is important.

Pulled them out after 7 hours (internal temp was 175).  Wrapped in foil and into a 250 degree oven for 2 more hours to finish them--note that the meat plateaus at about 160 to 165 degrees (reaches that temp and then holds for a while before beginning to rise again.   Don't have to pull them, but it was getting late and I was getting too lazy to go outside to keep checking temps.

As it was late, I put the wrapped pan in the refrigerator overnight.

Just finished pulling them now.

Re-heated a bit in the microwave for consumption now--a bit of KC Masterpiece on them (what I had open).  Don't have any Cole Slaw to go with it.  Freezing the rest...

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
So, uhhhhh, where in Pa are you?  I'll be by for some!!  

LOOKS GREAT!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!

yummy yummy yummy!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Mr. Brown recipe from TVWB board, with awesome results as well.  Lookin' good, when you bringing some over to the rest of us?

ETA...normally I smoke mine to about 190, though.  Mmmmm....Pulled pork sammiches....Pulled pork quesadillas....pulled pork, period!!!  

ETA2, get a remote thermometer (one of the cute $20 with wired probe [huh huh huh--i said probe]) so you don't have to open as often.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Serious tag...that looks awesome!

HH
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I honestly thought this post was headed in another direction......

What you know 'bout BBQ Yankee...?      JK...Looks good....
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good!

2 things you might want to know:

1. Meat stops taking smoke at 170 degrees.

2. Homemade BBQ dip is way better than that cheesy store bought stuff. IM me and I'll give you a recipe.

Eat harty!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

2. Homemade BBQ dip is way better than that cheesy store bought stuff. IM me and I'll give you a recipe.

Eat harty!

+1

looks fantastic though!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude dont fuck that good looking pig up with no damned yankee thick BBQ sauce!!
You better get a good NC BBQ'ers res-pee on some vinegar based dip!!!!

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, can do good pulled pork like us Tarheelians!
But that does look a bit tasty!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude dont fuck that good looking pig up with no damned yankee thick BBQ sauce!!
You better get a good NC BBQ'ers res-pee on some vinegar based dip!!!!

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, can do good pulled pork like us Tarheelians!
But that does look a bit tasty!!

Wow, Suprised it took this long for one of these vinegar types to post!

I like it the Carolina way as well as the yankee way!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
PCsutton:

1. Meat stops taking smoke at 170 degrees.

There is a bit of discussion about that on the KC Barbeque board...the theory I subscribe to is that the smoke RING stops forming at 165 - 170 degrees, but you can still get a bit of smoke flavor--that being said, I usually pull the stuff and wrap in foil at about 165-170 anyway and finish in the oven--convenience for one, and the juice then accumulates in the foil/pan.  If I refrigerate overnight, I can pull the remaining fat off the meat and off the top of the juices and mix that into the final product (keeps it moist without having to add things like apple juice or bourbon or BBQ Sauce.

Agreed--I have several recipies myself (I'll still IM to see if yours is much different) and prefer the home-made, or with No sauce (the rub and smoke make for an excellent flavor), but I had an open bottle of KC Masterpiece and it was after 9pm when I finally got a chance to pull the pork.

Outsider--I also like the vinegar based stuff, and also the Mustard based stuff depending on the mood (have a real fondness for Bill's BBQ out of Richmond, VA).

MNGuns...y'all go on home now, Yankee...I worked 10 years in Richmond, VA, lived in VA for 16 years..my work was next to the White House of the Confederacy (Jeff Davis' Home).

AFARR  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
PC:

Thanks for the vinegar based sauce recipe.  I'll definitely give it a try sometime.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Dang it one of these days I will be able to afford a team membership so I can post pics. of my smoking fun. I have not had time to smoke anything right now. Just got the the roof replaced after the tornado, still working on the siding and windows, and gutters. What kind of smoker were you using, and any mods to it? I use a Great Smokey Mountain that I have modded. Usually do loins, shoulders, and turkeys for the holidays. I use a lot of Tony's (search Louisanna spices) as a base for my rubs. I try not to use commerical BBQ sauce.
Mods do we need a AR15.com BBQ thread?
I can think of some tacticle habinero sauce, garenteed to take down the libs that come over and your self in the can the next day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dang it one of these days I will be able to afford a team membership so I can post pics. of my smoking fun. I have not had time to smoke anything right now. Just got the the roof replaced after the tornado, still working on the siding and windows, and gutters. What kind of smoker were you using, and any mods to it? I use a Great Smokey Mountain that I have modded. Usually do loins, shoulders, and turkeys for the holidays. I use a lot of Tony's (search Louisanna spices) as a base for my rubs. I try not to use commerical BBQ sauce.
I can think of some tacticle habinero sauce, garenteed to take down the libs that come over and your self in the can the next day.

You from southern IN by chance?? I worked that tornado along with 8 other co-workers. I'm a dispatcher in Vanderburgh County.

I have a gas smoker as well and love it. I get alot of crap from the die-hard "no gas" guys but it works for me. Did some turkeys for Thanksgiving and I need to get out and smoke some Butts too. Man that looks good!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Where is the bra less, chilly, female serving the final product?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You do not have to be a team member to post pics.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Jack:  I personally think the gas smoker is fine for convenience.  I have a stick burner (Silver Smoker) that does a better overall job, but takes much more watching/temp control to get a nice product.  The gas puts out a 90% product (with the silver being 100%--although the gas smoker seems to do much better on Salmon and makes a nicer looking product).

Michael:  Nice Bark on that Butt!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow I like what I see.

Might need to fire up my smoker.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You from southern IN by chance?? I worked that tornado along with 8 other co-workers. I'm a dispatcher in Vanderburgh County.

I have a gas smoker as well and love it. I get alot of crap from the die-hard "no gas" guys but it works for me. Did some turkeys for Thanksgiving and I need to get out and smoke some Butts too. Man that looks good!!!!

Yes I am from Southern Indiana Newburgh actually. I live just off bell road, four houses from me was total distruction. Brick homes reduced to rubble. BTW Vanderburgh Dispatch, I was on Vanderburgh County Sherriff depart. many years ago. I aslo worked for Alexander Amb. when they were around. You guys did one hell of a good job that night. Thank you
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I am from Southern Indiana Newburgh actually. I live just off bell road, four houses from me was total distruction. Brick homes reduced to rubble. BTW Vanderburgh Dispatch, I was on Vanderburgh County Sherriff depart. many years ago. I aslo worked for Alexander Amb. when they were around. You guys did one hell of a good job that night. Thank you

Well I appreciate the good words but as I'm sure you know there were so many people involved that night that went above and beyond. It was very hard taking the calls from people in need and having to tell them we will get you help as soon as possiable but not really knowing how soon that might actually be, and hearing from officers and firefighters when they started calling in fatality locations and such. It was bad, but it could have been alot worse.

Glad to hear you were unharmed and our thoughts are still with the families that lost loved ones.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Man i'm hungry
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Lets post some smoker pictures here and we can start talking mods also.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
ahhhhhhh.....Mr Brown.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Vinegar? Where the F is tha Vinegar in that recipe - everybody knows it ain't real BarBQ if'n it ain't  been "brined" in or don't use vinegar in the sauce. Oh, and where is the BEER?  sacralidge

Just kidding - looks really good, I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.

I didn't think that anyone in PA knew how to barbeque - glad to see that there are some folks around that know what good food is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks good
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Vinegar? Where the F is tha Vinegar in that recipe - everybody knows it ain't real BarBQ if'n it ain't  been "brined" in or don't use vinegar in the sauce. Oh, and where is the BEER?  sacralidge

Just kidding - looks really good, I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.

I didn't think that anyone in PA knew how to barbeque - glad to see that there are some folks around that know what good food is.

That is a particularly commendable job for PA.

Brining butt is never necessary...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top