Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 9:42:03 PM EDT
Fact or fiction??

I know we have guys here who will know the truth behind this mystery.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
methane gas
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen it on the map, its blue
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
1) Aliens

2) Atlanteans.

3) It's Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
methane gas

At least that explanation has some merit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
1) Aliens

2) Atlanteans.

3) It's Bush's fault.

#3 doy!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The ocean is a big, nasty place.

If you look at the actual statistics, the rate of loss in the triangle probably isn't that much greater than the rate of loss outside the triangle.

I most often hear people mention the triangle in the same breath as greys and other whatnot.  It doesn't inspire credibility.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
isn't it some weird magnetic shit that got people lost there?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fact or fiction??

I know we have guys here who will know the truth behind this mystery.

While true that I do have secret knowlege of this subject I  cannot talk about it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Fact - lots of ships and planes have been lost in the area.

Fiction - un natural causes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Some men go in and never come back
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
There are documented magnetic anomolies - numerous planes record compasses malfunctioning.  I think there is an unusual metallic deposit under the ocean, magetite or something.  That explains the lost squadron and many other vanishings - their magnetic compasses went haywire.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Kind of like my prom date.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I heard that Chuck Norris was driving around on vacation in the Atlantic and decided to wizz into the ocean, thus it became the Bermuda Triangle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Been through there many times on my old broke down DD, lost of wrecks were documented on the TDSS.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Statistically, no more ships are lost there than at any other similiar (in terms of size and traffic) chunk of ocean in the world. But the Bermuda Triangle has better PR, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

that's what my wife calls it
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]
www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq8-1.htm

Countless theories attempting to explain the many disappearances have been offered throughout the history of the area. The most practical seem to be environmental and those citing human error. The majority of disappearances can be attributed to the area's unique environmental features. First, the "Devil's Triangle" is one of the two places on earth that a magnetic compass does point towards true north. Normally it points toward magnetic north. The difference between the two is known as compass variation. The amount of variation changes by as much as 20 degrees as one circumnavigates the earth. If this compass variation or error is not compensated for, a navigator could find himself far off course and in deep trouble.

An area called the "Devil's Sea" by Japanese and Filipino seamen, located off the east coast of Japan, also exhibits the same magnetic characteristics. It is also known for its mysterious disappearances.

Another environmental factor is the character of the Gulf Stream. It is extremely swift and turbulent and can quickly erase any evidence of a disaster. The unpredictable Caribbean-Atlantic weather pattern also plays its role. Sudden local thunder storms and water spouts often spell disaster for pilots and mariners. Finally, the topography of the ocean floor varies from extensive shoals around the islands to some of the deepest marine trenches in the world. With the interaction of the strong currents over the many reefs the topography is in a state of constant flux and development of new navigational hazards is swift.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
methane gas

Yup...saw that show too.

Quite informative  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife and I have maritime interest and ventured through the Bermuda Triangle to conduct a study.  However during our passage we were side tracked between the rum drinks, our cabin, and the Mrs clothes falling off.  Strange things do happen within the triangle!  Proven :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Wasn't there a steamship that was found adrift with no crew on board in the triangle?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Alka-Seltzer's secret dumping ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top