Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Norelco rotary electric with tilting heads and all that (5811xl) is what I use if I shaved the day before.

If I've skipped a day or two, I use a disposable in the shower because I have really thick hair and the electric just takes too long to get all the hairs that are just too long to be cut on the first pass.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I shave at the end of my shower - by then my skin is fairly hydrated and the wiskers are a little softer.  Closest shave I have found - and rarely nick myself.

Oh - I shave my head daily, not just my beard.

Next to end of shower, raping up in a steaming towl is my second option - it works fairly well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
For the past five years all I have used is the Braun which sits in the cleaner/charger.

I love it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been trying to learn to use a straight razor. The first few times, it looked like I shaved with a helicopter. I'm getting better, but I'm not brave enough to do anything but the sides of my face with it yet. (I figured out why men traditionally shaved when they went a-courtin'. It was a sign of COURAGE. And I also understand now the old fashioned mustache and beard styles - under your nose and under your lip are the most difficult places.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a nice electric, but I rarely use it.  Mach3 gets much closer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Electric.
Braun Syncro system.  Good shave.
Really cool how the system cleans itself with alcohol.
And I just add alcohol to the cartridge as it evaporates.  I've had the system for two years and have only purchased three catridges.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Mach III. I used to use and electric but it didn't get close enough. Electrics are good in a pinch or when you're in the field and using a regular razor isn't as convenient. Beyond that I'd never go back to one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mach3 Power Nitro

The blades are expensive as all hell but this razor is the best I've found.  Once again another thing where ya get what ya pay for.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Gillette makes a fully disposable version of the Mach 3. This works 10x better than the Mach 3.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a Gillette Atra.
Gillette has been pushing the Mach III HARD.  The idea, of course, is to make lots more money for Gillette and its shareholders.  The Atra is extinct at all FOUR of my local supermarkets, but Mach IIIs are stacked up EVERYWHERE taking up ALL shelf space.  The Mach III is a much more expensive shaver and naturally, this is the whole point.  I've tried the Mach III and it doesn't work for me (I actually own TWO of them; one still in it's original packaging.  I got that one for free).  1) My beard has never been that heavy.  2) My face likes the narrower profile of the twin blade.  3) The twin blade works really well for me and is economical (I guess the economical part is bad for Gillette).  4) I REFUSE to spend over a hundred dollars a years just to shave!

www.shavethis.com

That's where I get all my shavers/razor cartridges now.  FREE SHIPPING!  No minimum order!

If I hadn't discovered shavethis I would go back to a straight razor.  I used one for years.  I wouldn't want to go back to that after the plastic coated twin blades, but I'll do that before I spend money hand over fist just to shave.

I guess the Atra is sold now only overseas or something.  I hate the "gunk strip" (Atra Plus), too.

www.shavethis.com!

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Braun all the way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Mach 3 with just water.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#13]
First it was 2 blades on the razor, then 3 then 4.  Next thing you know, there will be like 20 blades on disposible razors and you only have to do one stroke on each side of your face each week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
First it was 2 blades on the razor, then 3 then 4.  Next thing you know, there will be like 20 blades on disposible razors and you only have to do one stroke on each side of your face each week.

wasn't it madtv that did a commercial parody complete with the animation where the multiblade razor takes his skin off
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I went electric for a while (3 head Norelco) but went back to a blade.  The electric just didn't get as close as I wanted it to.

I'm using a Mach III now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Straight razor.  Since I was 13 or so.  Takes me about 90 seconds now.  YOU NEED TO BE AWAKE WHEN YOU DO THIS SO HAVE YOUR COFFEE FIRST.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Used to use some sort of electric.  I hated it on humid days.  It would be terrible to try and shave sort of wet skin.  Got a mach 3 in the mail for free and I have never looked back since.  I hate electric.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a M2A1-7 flamethrower, smoothest shave I ever had!

Really it's an Atra.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My face hates everything, so I go with el-Cheapo razors.  I've given up on getting a good shave.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Straight razor.  Since I was 13 or so.  Takes me about 90 seconds now.  YOU NEED TO BE AWAKE WHEN YOU DO THIS SO HAVE YOUR COFFEE FIRST.

A very big +1! And lock the bathroom door, as the kids/spouses have a tendency to come busting in, door hitting shaving arm as you put the razor blade to neck......
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Razor. Same Atra system they first gave me as an incoming Freshman in college back in 1980. Liked it and never saw a need to switch to any of the newer systems that came along since then. I've bought a  few electric razors over the years to carry as back ups while travelling,but I have a rough beard that kills electric razors very quickly.

I like the Atra too.  Electric just burns my face.

Who came out with these fucked up razors with the head that is loose and flips?  May be OK for girls but not men.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I have both.  I use a normal razor for my neck, because the electric tried to irritate it.  Using an electric razor is much faster.  The Norelcos have a great battery life too.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top