Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:03:53 PM EDT
My dog just ate a chicken bone.. Thigh bone to be exact... I heard this can be bad as they can splinter... Am I ok, or what should I do?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
probably will be ok. The dog will probably vomit it out later. If not, check for blood in its stools.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Was it cooked or raw???

You might want to give him a LITTLE vegetable oil to help things along.  Keep him well hydrated as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This will pass.

I know lots of dogs that eat lots of chicken bones and do fine. I don't risk it with mine but if I were you I'd keep an eye on the dog tonight and the next day or two ... I'm assuming the dog splintered the bone into small pieces right?

Here's hoping everything passes.

Was dropped on the floor and vaccuumed up instantly... It was crunched into VERY small pieces I am assuming.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Was it cooked or raw???

You might want to give him a LITTLE vegetable oil to help things along.  Keep him well hydrated as well.

Cooked
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are concerned, get the dog to vomit right away. One tablespoonful of hydorgen peroxide, and wait less than 5 minutes. Then check it for pieces.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont worry,my dogs have eaten much worse and are still kicking, i wish i had my remote back,all i have left is the batterys.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
What ever you do, don't call the heat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Cooked supposedly does not splinter as bad. So I am told. Keep an eye on him for a couple of days and make sure he is eating ok and not in any pain. Keep rubbing his belly and see if you see any pain symptoms. If you do get him to a vet asap.  He probably will hate you rubbing his belly (I know mine does ).

How big of a dog????
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cooked supposedly does not splinter as bad. So I am told. Keep an eye on him for a couple of days and make sure he is eating ok and not in any pain. Keep rubbing his belly and see if you see any pain symptoms. If you do get him to a vet asap.  He probably will hate you rubbing his belly (I know mine does ).

How big of a dog????

65lbs  Shepherd mix
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I would give him about 1 tsp of vegetable oil and keep an eye on him. Make sure he can get outside if he needs to (and he will).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm not a DVM..

but i am a professional retriever trainer as well as own a Veterinary Laboratory.

dont sweat it..

i have had dogs eat the following:

a BIC double blade razor ..
dozens of green army men..
glass..
Xmas ornaments..
too many other things to list.

if bird bones were an issue..
why was wiley coyote...chasing after the road runner..

there isnt too many things that the K-9 stomach cant handle..a bone of any type shouldnt be a problem.

watch the dog..
if you think he's acting funny..take him to a competent vet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are concerned, get the dog to vomit right away. One tablespoonful of hydorgen peroxide, and wait less than 5 minutes. Then check it for pieces.

H2O2 you might want to take him/her onto the patio for that one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys... Ill be watcing my best friend very closely..Will call the vet in the AM if needed..

John
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
our idiot basset ate most of a 5 lb bag of flour.  We expected that to cause her some problems.  The rest of the bag was mixed with slobber on the floor and couch and where she dragged it getting it away from the other idiot basset.

I'ld be more worried by a fragment from a steak or pork chop bone.  They got those too, both cooked and uncooked.

Knocking a bowl off a counter and then scarfing the bowl contents and fragments and shards before we can stop them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
dog should be okay, Check his stool for the next few days and keep an eye out for signs. (Dark or bloody poop)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Geeze, this chicken bone shit is way out of proportion.   When I was a kid we always gave chicken bones to our dogs.   My old german shepherd was somewhere between 15-17 when he died.   He ate bazillions of chicken bones with no ill effect.

I generally dont give alot of chicken bones to my dogs now but they get the softer ones all the time.   Hell I eat the wingtips myself
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I always heard the bigger problem from chicken bones was choking.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

H2O2 you might want to take him/her onto the patio for that one.

I fail to see the wisdom of having a potentially splintered bone being  violently thrown up, versus allowing it to pass normally.

At any rate, I agree that the chicken bone thing is blown out of proportion, dogs can eat a lot of nasty shit and do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with the others - your dog will be just fine...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
IMO the chicken bone thing is an old wives tale. I have never heard nor seen of a dog dying from it. Most every dog I know has eaten chicken bones at one time or other. My father in law has been feeding his dog table scraps, including chicken bones since it was a puppy. Dog is 5 years old and has no problems.

Don't worry about it unless he starts acting unusual.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
- your dog will be just fine...

- georgestrings

I was a Vet Tech in a past life. I agree with the above.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Should be all right but keep the vets number close.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Cooked chicken bones are the ones you have to watch.   Raw bones are not as brittle, bend more and break easier than cooked bones.    Lot of people out there feed raw diets so the dog is getting raw bones and they are suppose to be very healthy for your pet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#25]
All seems to be fine, no vomiting...Not sure if its passed yet, but no abdominal discomfort that I can see..

Thanks for the replies and concern..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]
My dogs have eaten the strangest things...I once found half a red rubber ball in my lab's poo...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top