Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My head hurts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's why a fly can fly around in the space in your car while you're driving at 60 MPH, but otherwise can not fly at 60 MPH in the middle of the woods.

Good example! I think that helps clear it up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Scenario, two guys, with handguns, on top of a train, moving at roughly ~150mph. Both men have similar handguns, same caliber, same load, bullet size and barrel length, effectively the guns are the same.

They both fire at each other at exactly the same moment, as obsevered from some one equadistant from eachboth are completely accurate shots.

Lets say that there is no friction due to air resistance (it's a train in space or something).

I say they both get hit at the same time. What do you think?

So long as the train is not rounding a bend or accelerating then yes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wrong, While it is true that the bullet fired in the direction of the trains travel will uneffected be the trains speed, The bullet travelling rearward will be the faster of the two bullets.

The earth is rotating at 1k mph.  does that mean firing west makes the bullet go faster in relation to the planet?

Believe it or not....yes.  Ever read about the experiment they've done with Atomic cesium clocks?   One stays stationary.  One flies around the world eastward, one flies around the world westward...........Guess what happens?............

Don't believe me.....go google it.  Interesting stuff.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
So, if a hypothetical vehicle traveling at the speed of light turns on the headlights will it exceed the speed of the light and never illuminate the front of the vehicle?

or

If two spacemen are using a  vehicle that can travel at .9999999 of the speed of light and are traveling away from each other and they both turn on their headlights at the same time to illuminate the other will either of them ever see the other's headlights?

or

If two spacemen are traveling at .9995 of the speed of light and travel near a black hole will they be able to transmit images back to Earth?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, if a hypothetical vehicle traveling at the speed of light turns on the headlights will it exceed the speed of the light and never illuminate the front of the vehicle?

or

If two spacemen are using a  vehicle that can travel at .9999999 of the speed of light and are traveling away from each other and they both turn on their headlights at the same time to illuminate the other will either of them ever see the other's headlights?

or

If two spacemen are traveling at .9995 of the speed of light and travel near a black hole will they be able to transmit images back to Earth?

At those speeds the rules change.

As an example, if you were traveling toward someone on the ground at near light speed and shined a light toward them, the light would not hit them at almost double light speed.  It would hit them at light speed, even though to the person traveling, the light would be traveling away from them at light speed.  Logic says that the light should then be traveling the person's speed plus light speed, but it doesn't.  The reason that this makes sense is that time is warped.

The observer on the ground would see the light from the traveler extremely blue-shifted, and even though the person was coming toward them at near light speed, the person would appear to be almost stationary.

To the person traveling at near light speed, he would observe time on the ground traveling very fast, and light coming from the ground would be extremely red-shifted.

I think I got all that right.  If I didn't hopefully someone can correct it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top