BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Pete, how are we allowed to attach the chain/bungee to the weight????

I didn't really think that far into it.  It's just something I came up with after some light reading tonight in a composites book I have, and reminiscing back to the college days years ago before I changed my major to finance from mechanical engineering.

Ah, regrets - something tells me that designing wing spars at Scaled Composites for Burt Rutan would have been more rewarding than worrying about Sarbanes-Oxley compliance (but would not have paid nearly as well).

Assume the bungee and chain each have hooks, and the weight is like a weight the coyote would use, with a big ass eyelet on top of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How about the attachment point/s on the beam?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How about the attachment point/s on the beam?

You're over-analyzing.  It's a problem from a (presumably) intro text, you can assume that it is a point connection with infinite strength.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You go to the store and get proper materials, instead of half-assing around trying to hang a half ton with a partially loaded bungee.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You go to the store and get proper materials, instead of half-assing around trying to hang a half ton with a partially loaded bungee.  

That's what I said earlier, so do we take your rig or mine?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm kind of amazed that people continued trying to answer the question when one person solved it half-way down the second page, i.e. cutting the chain in half.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I said earlier, so do we take your rig or mine?

Well, if we only need one weight, how about I trade you my chain for your bungee?

That way we'll both have 1200 lbs of load capacity!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm kind of amazed that people continued trying to answer the question when one person solved it half-way down the second page, i.e. cutting the chain in half.

When I was in class, everybody had to answer questions on the test, even after teh fast guy got his paper turned in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where is this taking place?

In a fantasy land called oscar's trash can.....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top