Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 1:28:14 PM EDT
Well, as an ambassator for the sport I love I'm bringing this to the attention of my AR15.com family...

First a little bit about myself...
I'm a 6'3'' 200lb. midfielder for the University of Illinois lacrosse team.  I've played for six years now, and I love the sport.  Its fast paced like hockey with the open field hits of football.  And the best part is that you can take a swing with a titanium shaft at someone legally.  Its a hell of a sport, and I love it.

Now, for the reason I'm posting this...
This fall it was announced that Major League Lacrosse (the only pro outdoor lacrosse league) was creating a few more expansion teams.  However, this does not mean that the league is out of the neck of the woods yet.  Two years ago there was talk of league bankrupcy.  So, all I'm asking is if you have a pro team in your area, go check it out.  I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and the experience.

ETA:  www.majorleaguelacrosse.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]

May as well edit again and preface with: The game I caught last night was from a different league...a VERY different league. No wonder I was so flummoxed as to WTF these guys were doing, as detailed below...

Caught the MN/Philly game last night....as a former attack player...

a) WTF is up with that "rink" for a field?!?  That kills like half the game...a lot of the game was being skilled enough to whip shit around without having it go out of bounds. Admittidly it does speed the game up on missed shots on goal, but that's about it...

b) that field looks SMALL, really small. The nets look positivly tiny.

c) I noticed that crease violations were ignored, almost completly

d) Christ, how many pads do they need?? Their goalies look like they raided the hockey supply warehouse and took every bit of kit they could so there'd be no exposed skin...wearing armpads and shoulderpads so thick they could stop a .22...shinpads...etc. Man, it wasn't even until my junior year in HS that they mandated that players MUST wear shoulderpads After my freshman year I never wore more than a helmet, gloves, and shoulder pads...and a cup, can't forget that.  Our goalie wore the chestpad and the home-plate cup and helmet (and gloves of course)..that was it. Not even shoulderpads until he was forced to by the rules.

I love lacrosse. I played every year in HS, spending most of my soph year out due to a ripped knee ligament. Senior year I applied to, and was accepted at, Hobart (At the time, they were Divison AAA champs for like 2 centuries running...this was before they went Division A, and got whupped).

Last game, senior year, maybe 10-15 minutes left in the game...I was a victim of the Perfect Check(tm) while going for a ground ball. Landed the wrong way; snapped my collarbone and seperated my shoulder. That kind of ended that, and by the time I was able to really play again, I was fat and loving pizza too much

Wish I could play again, I miss it...but man, if they're mandating that people wear all those pads, it takes the fun out of it

Nothin' says lovin' like a good poke check...

As an aside, I thought the game was great, but man, I found myself yelling at the TV half the time..."DUMBASS, DON'T SHOW OFF AND TWIRL THE CROSSE, YER GONNA GET...yep, checked." as the guy had his crosse knocked out of his hands, or the ball knocked out, etc...one-handed ground scoops, many of which either failed outright or were checked by moves with less pressure than a soft breeze..

I used to think my coaches were asses and being way too anal, and then I saw lacrosse played on the college and pro level, and they were right Flash and show is fun and makes people cheer, but it only makes you look like an idiot when you get poked and drop the ball...

Oh, and I don't think I saw one pick set during that game. Maybe it was how we played in HS, but about the only thing more valuable than a good pass was a good pick...

Ok, done dissecting the game I need to find their schedule locally and see about getting some tickets.

ETA: AHH, looking it up, the game I saw last night was the MN Swarm VS he Philly Wings..National Lacrosse League, not Major Leage Lacrosse...wrong league

National Lacrosse League home page

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer watching it..

Womennz lacrosse that is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a game tomorrow.  Miami Makos.  I've started playing again (goal) after being out of it for 29 years. I don't think I'm slower ... Hell, I was never fast to begin with, but these guys now can really shoot AND put it where they want to. I've got at least 10-25 yrs on my teammates and I'm having a hoot knocking heads with 'em.  I've never seen box lacrosse (I assume that's the arena game you saw Ed)  but if watching a game is half as much fun as playing is for me, anybody should give it a try.
Illinigunner21, if you're ever up for some South Florida LAX, just drop me a line.         Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Evil_Ed

What you saw was National League Lacrosse, which is an indoor "box" league.  Totally different rules.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I had some of their boots.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to Hopkins for six year and lax is, I believe, our only D1 sport. That's where I was introduced to the sport and grew to enjoy it. Even got a few sticks to toss around with some of my classmates. But alas, there seems to be very little exposure to lax here in Cleveland...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I played in highschool and college.  I still play on a men's team.  We play college teams in the fall and other men's teams in the spring.   That is me this summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top