Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:00:51 PM EDT
GUNSHOW
I am going to the Conrad and Dowdell gunshow in Media Ohio on the 22 of jan.  It is my first gunshow, I have avoided them in the past because of the articles and posts that I have read, so what scams should I look out for, if any?  
Thanks
Icon
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just watch what you buy. I've seen some really good deals, and really bad rip-offs at gunshows.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget  to buy a Beanie Baby and jerky from the 400 lb
ex Navy Seal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the gunshows that I've been to in Calif, many of the guns are over-priced and emperat caveator(latin for "buyer beware" is the watchword, ie be sure of the prices) and know what you're buying especially the used stuff, and to a lesser extent the new stuff.  Typical stuff that I buy gun shows is powder  & primers, and bullets because I'm a reloader, cleaning supplies, miscellaneous acessories, magazines.

I usually bring my own food and drink because I hate standing in line and paying the outrageous prices.

If you plan to haggle bit, I would bring some cash in $1s, $5s, $10s, & $20s so that you can pay the vendors very close to the price you haggled for.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Most of the gunshows that I've been to in Calif, many of the guns are over-priced and emperat caveator(latin for "buyer beware" is the watchword, ie be sure of the prices) and know what you're buying especially the used stuff, and to a lesser extent the new stuff.  Typical stuff that I buy gun shows is powder  & primers, and bullets because I'm a reloader, cleaning supplies, miscellaneous acessories, magazines.

I usually bring my own food and drink because I hate standing in line and paying the outrageous prices.

If you plan to haggle bit, I would bring some cash in $1s, $5s, $10s, & $20s so that you can pay the vendors very close to the price you haggled for.

Man, you speak Latin real good.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, you speak Latin real good.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
GUNSHOW
I am going to the Conrad and Dowdell gunshow in Media Ohio on the 22 of jan.  It is my first gunshow, I have avoided them in the past because of the articles and posts that I have read, so what scams should I look out for, if any?  
Thanks
Icon

I went to my first gunshow in 1969 at the Barberton Armory with my Dad. Guy's have been bitching about the same things since then. Unless they are giving away guns at the door,  people just aren't going to be happy.

Rule number one is, never sell a gun to a dealer at a gunshow. He will break it off in your ass.

Rule number two is, never ask for an appraisal from a dealer at a gunshow. He will low ball you and try to break it off in your ass.

Rule number three is, never buy a used gun from a dealer at a gunshow. He will break it off in your ass.

Rule number four is, if a dealer at a gunshow can find a way to break it off in your ass, he will.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Just use common sense, and enjoy yourself, you'll have a great time
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just use common sense, and enjoy yourself, you'll have a great time

In other words:

Buy ammo!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Take lots of money with you!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
common sense...  if you want to buy a firearm, know which one you want before you go and know what it's worth.  that way you won't get ripped off if you happen to come across that particular gun there.

i've seen some absolutely rediculous prices at gun shows...  used maverick 88's going for over $300 when i can get them brand new for $130.  what get's me even more is when i see people buying this overpriced shit.

in the last 5 or 6 shows i've gone to, i've purchased a total of two magazines, one knife, a couple ammo cans, and one "brass knuckle shaped paper weight".  the only reason i really go is to kill a couple hours...  i guess that's worth the $5 admission price.

ETA:  i almost forgot about my nagant that came from a gun show down here.  you can usually find surplus rifles that are in good condition for a low price.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top