Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:30:34 PM EDT
It's been a while since I have had to sign up for this, but I just had a nephew that did.

So, what exactly is it other than a head count?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's been a while since I have had to sign up for this, but I just had a nephew that did.

It's a trap set by George Bush and his oil gang to get American youth to fight for the Illuminati and Nazi's in Antarctica.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
it is the registry that they would pull from if they had to reinstate a draft.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
<whisper>HALIBURTON</whisper>

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it is the registry that they would pull from if they had to reinstate a draft.

+1

I signed up for it when I got my green card.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Draft was around before Halliburton.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea what ever happened to mySelective Service card.

No matter, as I did my time...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]

If you don't have your Selective Service card, you can go to www.sss.gov and look up your number.

If you want/need a new card, you can call 1-847-688-6888.

Up until age 26, you're supposed to update your address.  In my case, since my parents never moved, I didn't bother, regardless of where I actually lived.  I figured, in the event I was drafted, I'd still get the letter.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't remember ever getting a card.  I had to call someplace to get my number for a contract job at Customs once.  Seemed silly to me.  I need to prove that I registered for what is really the draft, even though you have my DD214, and my current Nat. Guard ID card.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Card?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I never registered for the Selective Service.

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't remember getting a card, but I know I have a number.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I never did either
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
To all who never registered, why the hell not?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Draft was around before Halliburton.

Hallibutrton has been with us since the dawn of time. They have weather machines buried deep under the ground all over the world just waiting for the signal to rise up and destroy the human race.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By dpmmn

Same here.

I never did either

Shit!...That makes four of us..

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I left for  Navy boot camp  3 weeks after my 18th birthday
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Turned 18 in Ft. Sill. already on the payrole.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:17:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hm, I didn't when I got my Green Card, but I reckon I am too old to be drafted anyway!!

Not being registered for SS also means you can't get some Government jobs, but as a non-citizen I would be excluded anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Never had to.  I was born just before the cutoff date.  Besides that, I did my 20+ in the Air Force.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was a 17 year old Paratrooper.

+1  I was already in the Army when I turned 18.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cuz they sent the card to me and I didn't have to go and reigster... Gives you a wierd tingle when you're a week from 18 and you get a letter from the Selective Service with all the stuff in it...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hm, I didn't when I got my Green Card, but I reckon I am too old to be drafted anyway!!

Not being registered for SS also means you can't get some Government jobs, but as a non-citizen I would be excluded anyway.

I think they told me that I probably wouldn't be "drafted" anyway, because of my years of prior NATO service.  But, you never know - and since I'm a compulsive rule follower, I just signed up anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't sign up either.

1- I don't like volunteering for potentially fatal slavery.
2- I think it is discriminatory that women don't have to sign up.

When the sheriff came to my Moms house to ask why I didn't sign up for SS I wasn't there.  I was on my second WestPac cruise in Okinawa.
I still haven't signed up.  I just put N/A on the SS line.  Since I continue to work for .mil - if they want me they'll know where to find me.

Fritz
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Selective Service System is not a head count. That's the census.

The Selective Service System is an independent federal agency operating with permanent authorization under the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. App. 451 et seq.). It is not part of the Department of Defense; however, it exists to serve the emergency manpower needs of the Military by conscripting untrained manpower, or personnel with professional health care skills, if directed by Congress and the President in a national crisis. Its statutory missions also include being ready to administer an alternative service program, in lieu of military service for men classified as conscientious objectors.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I never did register.  They called my mom's house looking for me because of it, too.  They told her since I had never registered they were coming to get me.  She told them they could find me at Ft. Benning GA in basic training.  Then they said that it wouldn't be necessary for them to talk to me after all.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I registered for conscrpition secure in the knowledge that if they were so low on manpower that they needed ME the country was screwed anyways and tracking me down to throw a rifle into my hands was the least of their worries.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Selective Service Number:
34 - 0524865 - 2
Date of Registration:
12/4/1996

Signed up one semester before graduating H.S.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember back in 1984 some asshat at AIRPAC got a wild hair up his ass and made the decision that all AIRPAC personnel had to be registered for the selective service.
We had 270 people in my command alone and it took three weeks to get everyone who was supposed to be registered registered.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You know what's fucked up, even if you did serve, if you didn't register.  You are ineligible for Federal Financial Aid, Federal Jobs, and IIRC even VA loans.

IIRC, those who have served and haven't registered can get the mess cleared up but it takes a while given how slow Govt. works.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what's fucked up, even if you did serve, if you didn't register.  You are ineligible for Federal Financial Aid, Federal Jobs, and IIRC even VA loans.

IIRC, those who have served and haven't registered can get the mess cleared up but it takes a while given how slow Govt. works.

I worked for a DoD Contractor (ATK) nothing ever came up when they did my Security Clearance
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Its a registry for if the draft ever gets reinstated.

You only have to register once.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I registered in 1985, I'm 38 now and I'll STILL maintain my address with the system even tough I am no longer required to due to age and have my SSS card in my wallet. Not that it's a big deal as I reenlisted nearly 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked for a DoD Contractor (ATK) nothing ever came up when they did my Security Clearance

I did six years active duty and everytime I had to change my security clearance the SF-86 asked for my selective service number. I had it but I don't know what happens if you haven't registered and apply for a clearance    My brother forgot to register and they sent a letter that encouraged him to get it done.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I didn't sign up either.

When the sheriff came to my Moms house to ask why I didn't sign up for SS I wasn't there.  I was on my second WestPac cruise in Okinawa.
I still haven't signed up.  I just put N/A on the SS line.  Since I continue to work for .mil - if they want me they'll know where to find me.

Fritz

But you enlisted? Curious view of the matter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they told me that I probably wouldn't be "drafted" anyway, because of my years of prior NATO service.  But, you never know - and since I'm a compulsive rule follower, I just signed up anyway.  

You'd think that prior service would bump you up on the list of guys they'd want to call in. If we get to a draft, I think that cutting favors to prior service guys would be low on the list of priorities.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it is a requiremnt for DoD Contractor's.  It IS a requirment for a Govt Job.

I had to get my SS number for my application for a Govt Job and IIRC my VA loan for my house.   If you are a Vet, I think it is just paperwork shuffle but there is a deadline at  certain age if you are not a Vet.  If you didn't meet that deadline, you can kiss off any chance of Fed. Financial aid, VA loan, or Govt Job.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
they required proof of registration when i enlisted.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I didn't sign up either.

Fritz

I signed up. No problem doing that. The text I highlighted in your post REALLY PISSES ME OFF. (Not at you, rather at the .gov) There are plenty of things a woman can do in todays military or "alternative assignments" as needed to help a war effort. F'n BS that they don't have to register if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it is a requiremnt for DoD Contractor's.  It IS a requirment for a Govt Job.

I had to get my SS number for my application for a Govt Job and IIRC my VA loan for my house.   If you are a Vet, I think it is just paperwork shuffle but there is a deadline at  certain age if you are not a Vet.  If you didn't meet that deadline, you can kiss off any chance of Fed. Financial aid, VA loan, or Govt Job.

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left for Navy boot camp 3 weeks after my 18th birthday

Hell I'll be 44 in 5 months, do you think they would still want  an Old Aviation Ordnanceman
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't sign up either.

Fritz

The key word is SLAVERY.  It was MY choice to sign up.  MY choice to put my life on the line for a cause I believed in.  Not some faceless burocrats decision.  
How many ARFCOM  members would allow themselves to be drafted for assignment to firearms collection details?

I'm a DOD contractor now.  When I went to college on the GI Bill and on my security paperwork I entered N/A in the SS box.  I got the job and the $ for college anyway.

Fritz
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Never saw any reason to, since no branch of the service will take me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You did and never even knew it :)  Check the SS web site and you will see you do have a number.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Holy S#%T you're right.  I just punched in my info and my number was on the website.

Canada here I come.

Fritz
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#46]
If you don't sign up for selective service there are many government loans, like school loans, you won't qualify for. You shouldn't live in a country and enjoy its' freedoms if you aren't willing to give your life in it's defense JMHO
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#47]
If you ever served, you are signed up, at least in the last 10 years or so. You can't be entered into the database unless you enter a selective service #. Just so happens that any # will work, up to, I think, 9 digits. Some recruiters will sign you up and you will have no idea, some will put in some BS # so the database will take the applicant.

If you want to do a check go to the selective service web site and run your SSAN, DOB, and last name.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#48]
i registered but i never was sent a card.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I didn't sign up either.

Fritz

That may change link. If they draft daughter #1 she should be assigned to Bitchin' and Moanin'. #2 daughter could re-organize all their warehouses over the weekend.

Saturday, May 1, 2004

Selective Service eyes women's draft
The proposal would also require registration of critical skills

By ERIC ROSENBERG
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON -- The chief of the Selective Service System has proposed registering women for the military draft and requiring that young Americans regularly inform the government about whether they have training in niche specialties needed in the armed services.

The proposal, which the agency's acting Director Lewis Brodsky presented to senior Pentagon officials just before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq,   also seeks to extend the age of draft registration to 34 years old, up from 25.

The Selective Service System plan, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, highlights the extent to which agency officials have planned for an expanded military draft in case the administration and Congress would authorize one in the future.

"In line with today's needs, the Selective Service System's structure, programs and activities should be re-engineered toward maintaining a national inventory of American men and, for the first time, women, ages 18 through 34, with an added focus on identifying individuals with critical skills," the agency said in a Feb. 11, 2003, proposal presented to senior Pentagon officials.

Brodsky and Richard Flahavan, the agency's director of public and congressional affairs, reviewed the six-page proposal with Pentagon officials responsible for personnel issues. They included Charles Abell, principal deputy undersecretary for personnel and readiness, and William Carr, deputy undersecretary for military personnel policy.

The agency officials acknowledged that they would have "to market the concept" of a female draft to Congress, which ultimately would have to authorize such a step.

Dan Amon, a spokesman for the Selective Service System, based in Arlington, Va., said that the Pentagon has taken no action on the proposal to expand draft registration.

"These ideas were only being floated for Department of Defense consideration," Amon said. He described the proposal as "food for thought" for contingency planning.

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Jane Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Defense Department, said the Pentagon "has not agreed to, nor even suggested, a change to Selective Service's current missions."

Nonetheless, Flahavan said the agency has begun designing procedures for a targeted registration and draft of people with computer and language skills, in case military officials and Congress authorize it.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, say they oppose a revival of the military draft, last used in 1973 as the American commitment in Vietnam waned, beginning the era of the all-volunteer force.

Mandatory registration for the draft was suspended in 1975 but was resumed in 1980 by President Carter after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. About 13.5 million men, ages 18 to 25, currently are registered with the Selective Service.

"I don't know anyone in the executive branch of the government who believes that it would be appropriate or necessary to reinstitute the draft," Rumsfeld said last month.

At present, the Selective Service is authorized to register only young men and they are not required to inform the government about any professional skills. Separately, the agency has in place a special registration system to draft health care personnel in more than 60 specialties into the military if necessary in a crisis.

Some of the skill areas where the armed forces are facing "critical shortages" include linguists and computer specialists, the agency said. Americans would then be required to regularly update the agency on their skills until they reach age 35.

Individuals proficient in more than one critical skill would list the skill in which they have the greatest degree of competency.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't sign up either.

Fritz

The key word is SLAVERY.  It was MY choice to sign up.  MY choice to put my life on the line for a cause I believed in.  Not some faceless burocrats decision.  
How many ARFCOM  members would allow themselves to be drafted for assignment to firearms collection details?

I'm a DOD contractor now.  When I went to college on the GI Bill and on my security paperwork I entered N/A in the SS box.  I got the job and the $ for college anyway.

Fritz

It's also your choice to not renounce your citizenship and move to another country.  It's part of the responsibility or cost even of being a citizen and accepting it's rights, privileges and protections, such as they are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top