Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 11:09:05 AM EDT
For the last seven weeks there's been a highway construction project going on right outside of the building I work in.

So all day long CLANK...CLANK...CLANK...CLANK...CLANK...CLANK...CLANK...CLANK

and along with each clank the floor of the building bounces up and down enough to shake my computer monitor around.

The noise is annoying and the vibrations are giving me some kind of mild motion sickness.

What a way to work.

I'm almost ready to go hunting for a new job just to get away from this annoyance.

I should see if I can use this as an excuse to work from home.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a cause of action and should consider suing them for the emotional distress you've suffered, as well as the replacement of your "damaged" computer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
get you some ear plugs.  and one of those vibrating seat warmers and you will be set
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are looking for work, I hear the local construction company is hiring pile driver operators.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Just think, running that pile driver could be *your* job.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
For some reason, nonlinear resonance or hysteresis, before the foundry across the street closed down, you could be in certain parts of our 7th floor and swear that you were in the middle of an earthquake.  Visitors from Japan were easily freaked out by this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/mdm6.jpg

Yeah.  That is what I thought the thread was about when I clicked it too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]
That noise you here is music to me, I do alot of consulting to companies that do pile driving.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]
"F***ing pile drivers"....

I take it you went and saw Brokeback Mountain?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I take it you went and saw Brokeback Mountain?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
if your job can be done from home tell management the vibration is making you ill and try to work from home for a week. I have had coworkers that got away with that for over a month.

And, don't forget to add that it may be harmful to (the employer's) equipment to be operating in that environment.  Shut it down securely, and let you work from home, where the equipment, especially disk drives containing precious data, will not be subjected to vibration.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just think, running that pile driver could be *your* job.

Are you kidding me? That guy's gotta be a union engineer and he's making $28 an hour. I could definitely live with that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
"Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff would bounce a mother a foot in the air when he used the Pile Driver.

And Pile Drive the 'Taker......only in a movie.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the same problem in my dorm room first simester. I would wake up to the sound of "CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK......" at 6 am every morining. Its a good thing were not alowed to have guns in our dorms jk

Get some earplugs, and if it gets really bad double up with shooting muffs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Get some earplugs...

The sound I can live with ... it's the tremors in the floor that get me. My damn water cup looks like the one from jurassic park all day long.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it you went and saw Brokeback Mountain Backdoor Mountin'?

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For some reason, nonlinear resonance or hysteresis, before the foundry across the street closed down, you could be in certain parts of our 7th floor and swear that you were in the middle of an earthquake.  Visitors from Japan were easily freaked out by this.

'Godzirra!'
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#19]
We had raised floors in some of our office buildings at Hughes and you could feel vibrations from carts or? going down the aisles and it felt like an EQ starting.  Used to freak Californians who didn't realize it wasn't an EQ.

That you could feel vibrations from a pile driver would be enough to drive everybody in one of those buildings nuts.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I was thinking of the speakers named Pile Drivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top