Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:22:48 AM EDT
What is it with you guys (and gals) that ends up with me spending lots of money (ref the threads on building my PC, video cards, granite/corian countertops, etc.)? Now you've got me thinking about a kitchen remodel.

I live by myself in a 1980s-era condo in the middle of Philadelphia and the kitchen is horrendous. I cook for myself (every day) so the kitchen sees a good amount of use. I just bought the place over a year ago so I'm dealing with a lot of crap that the previous owners left.

I mean this place (before I got to it) was like a time warp back to the 1970s. Orange shag carpeting in the closets (now removed). Avocado particle board cabinets. Three (3!) layers of ugly brown vinyl tile in the kitchen. The list goes on and on.

I don't have the skill(z) to do a major renovation like the kitchen. Otherwise I'd do it myself. I have taken home repair classes at the local college but this is just too big of a job. And I'm not that handy anyway.

I'm going to get a few quotes but I wanted to get an idea ahead of time how much this would cost me (ballpark). I am well aware that prices vary by geographical region but I just want a general idea ... hell any info within +/- $5k would make me happy at this point, for budgeting purposes. Then once I get my tax refund and/or bonus (if any, sigh) in March, I can get going.

For labor only, to (1) remove the existing cabinets in a small (10x12) kitchen and install new ones; and (2) to pull up existing vinyl tile floor and redo with ceramic, how much would that run? I'm thinking $10-15k?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jthuang:
What is it with you guys (and gals) that ends up with me spending lots of money (ref the threads on building my PC, video cards, granite/corian countertops, etc.)? Now you've got me thinking about a kitchen remodel.

I live by myself in a 1980s-era condo in the middle of Philadelphia and the kitchen is horrendous. I cook for myself (every day) so the kitchen sees a good amount of use. I just bought the place over a year ago so I'm dealing with a lot of crap that the previous owners left.

I mean this place (before I got to it) was like a time warp back to the 1970s. Orange shag carpeting in the closets (now removed). Avocado particle board cabinets. Three (3!) layers of ugly brown vinyl tile in the kitchen. The list goes on and on.

I don't have the skill(z) to do a major renovation like the kitchen. Otherwise I'd do it myself. I have taken home repair classes at the local college but this is just too big of a job. And I'm not that handy anyway.

I'm going to get a few quotes but I wanted to get an idea ahead of time how much this would cost me (ballpark). I am well aware that prices vary by geographical region but I just want a general idea ... hell any info within +/- $5k would make me happy at this point, for budgeting purposes. Then once I get my tax refund and/or bonus (if any, sigh) in March, I can get going.

For labor only, to (1) remove the existing cabinets in a small (10x12) kitchen and install new ones; and (2) to pull up existing vinyl tile floor and redo with ceramic, how much would that run? I'm thinking $10-15k?

Thanks in advance!

I redid my kitchen myself. It's all pretty simple.
Doing the labor myself kept material costs below $5K.

10-15K is realistic.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:07 AM EDT
Plan on taking out the cabinets yourself...A prybar should run ya less than $20 or so. If the new cab's are the prebuilt kind you're in luck. Labor should be well under $5K. The intall of cab's is a breeze if they don't have to custom fit stuff. Labor for the floor will take the guys half a day to remove the old vinal tile. New ceramic will take half a day to put down and grout, Next day they come in and put sealer on it...This is assuming that the subfloor under the tile is in great shape and no real work has to be done to get it ready for the thinset mortor for the ceramic tile.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:19:35 AM EDT
10 to 15K seems reasonable
but cabinets can get very expensive, don't go overboard.
Get a NICE countertop and a real nice sink, that's what people see.
Tile is nice, tile install isn't expensive,
do windows if you have them while you are there.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:23:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
10 to 15K seems reasonable
but cabinets can get very expensive, don't go overboard.
Get a NICE countertop and a real nice sink, that's what people see.
Tile is nice, tile install isn't expensive,
do windows if you have them while you are there.

Brian

+1 on all that, but a big +1 on replacing the window(s) while you're at it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:25:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 8:26:37 AM EDT by macman37]
DIY

I didn't have the skills either.

I SWORE I'd never do it again, but in our next house (if it isn't new), I'd do it again.

Edit: Just draw limits: For me, I don't do anything but minor electrical work (adding/replacing outlets, fixtures, etc), NO plumbing work, and I don't do stuff that could cause the outside to leak inside (like windows). That leaves plenty of room for indoor work (boy howdy).

Do it yourself- you'll be so proud and happy with what you did when it's done.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:02:55 AM EDT
The bad thing about doing it yourself is that it'll take a lot longer than you expect, wind up costing more than planned, some parts will be screwed up, and you'll have to put up with living in the middle of a dusty, messy construction project.

The bad thing about hiring it out is exactly the same.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:14:47 AM EDT
I'm in the middle of a remodel now on my house. Everything was gutted and tossed.

Appliances: Fridgidaire stainless steel microwave w/vent, oven, fridge, and dishwasher
$3,600

Cabinets: Ikea. I visited their store in chicago and was impressed. They aren't hardwood but are quality. I'm a single guy who doesn't do too much in the kitchen but I want it to look neat and 'modern'. These cabinets fit my style and I think I can get 10 years out of them. $3,000

Countertop: I went top $ with this as I think it really makes the kichen pop. $3,000

Floor: Slate tile $500

Odds and ends (paint, tools, etc) $500

My kitchen is 12x13. If you got the cabinets from Ikea you can get them anywhere from $2,000-$4,000 depending on your style and how many you need. If you want to go cheap on the counters, make them yourself with tile over plywood or concrete sheet. Do all the labor yourself and you probably can get something nice for around $5,000.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:18:28 AM EDT
Did this two years ago:

1. Cabinets: $14k
2. Counter top: $5k
3. Appliances: $5k
4. Other: $7k

Total: $31 and it could have been much worse.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:28:05 AM EDT
Yep, the dollar amount I quoted was strictly for labor...That part should be fairly cheap. (really the labor for what you're talking about outta be less than $2K)

You CAN do the floor yourself. Instead of a pro taking a day to get the tile down, it'll take you a full day just to get the old floor up, two days to get the new tile down and another couple of hours to seal it a day or so later. You'll also have to buy some tools (a HEAVY DUTY drill to mix the thinset and grout, you could rent it but I'd recommend buying it) Don't try to go with a standard duty high speed drill it'll burn up right away. Tile saws are $80 or so and you really want to have one. We recently did our utility room and doing the floor was a breeze with this understood. Materials for the tile floor can either be mega$$ or almost nothing. We bought our tile at an outlet store for $.50/sqft (yep, 50 cents per sq foot) loaded in the back of my truck.

You can also take down the old cab's yourself...it's also therapudic. So what you're left with is having a pro come in and install the new cab's.

Definitely recommend doing the window at the same time if there's one in there.

Since getting this new house I've developed a newfound respect for what my wife and I can accomplish. Just be sure to buy the right tools from the outset to make the job go right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 9:44:21 AM EDT by sixgunsblazing]
10-15K is very realistic without appliances
I'm in the midst of my lowbudget facelift (paint, floors some appliances)

http://forum.doityourself.com/ is a good website for questions, but doesn't have nearly the traffic ARFCOM has
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:48:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jthuang:

For $15K, I'll redo your kitchen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:55:54 AM EDT
I would do wood floors over tile.

My parents are as we speak remodeling the kitchen and it took me, my father, brother, and 2 other guys 8 hours to smash out all the tile and clean it up.

Unless you want to have it there forever, think twice before you do so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:14:40 AM EDT
Here I go again...

Make you a deal, dude.

I need a vacation from here, and I have friends in Johnstown.

You buy the plane ticket, give me a place to sleep, beer to drink, food to eat, and cable and internet, I'll come down for 2 weeks and we'll do it all together. We can do it, but you'll need to buy tools and stuff (can't bring tools on an airplane, or fire, LOL). A couch to sleep on is just fine, as is macaroni and cheese for meals. I'm not easy, but I'm cheap

You send me home with $1,000 in my pocket and beer in my belly, we'll call it good. Note: I AM NOT A LICENSED CONTRACTOR IN YOUR STATE.

I can do the cabinets, electrical, walls, countertops, floors, and etc. Materials, of course, you buy, and appliances. But for a place to sleep and relax and a grand for helping, you've got me 10 hours a day for 14 days if you'll help me do the labor itself. In 2 weeks, we can get everything done. So labor will cost you a round-trip plane ticket, food and beer, and $1,000. And I want some Venison to bring home.

Best I can do, bro, but if you're interested PM me and we'll swap numbers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:21:53 AM EDT
PLAN PLAN PLAN

The cabinets will take up to 4 weeks from ordering so plan that- unless you get the standard ones your home store may have

Add more outlets if possible

Dont buy Schrock cabinets

Get the best counter -Corian or something

Look at replacing your appliances with stainless-or whatever you like

laminate wood floor is pretty nice and easier than tile by eleventeen billion fold

replace the window if bad

plan on a total (ie $10k) double it then add 20%
Actually- get a toatal for everthing you can think of (or bid from contractor) and add AT LEAST 20% more for options/other stuff they find that needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 10:28:39 AM EDT by superdav]
I'm in the process of remodeling mine

Fridge stainless $1200
Stove stainless $700
Dish washer stainless $400
Gas cooktop stainless $400
Oak flooring $2200 (including underlayment)
T moulding and reducers for oak flooring $400
Slate tile $700 (including backerboard and grout)
Counter top tile $600 (including copper accent tiles and copper edge tiles)
Island cabinets $430
Copper sheet for island $115
Copper sink for island $200
Copper faucets $800
Double bowl stainless sink $400 ( cause the double bowl copper one is $1000)
New oak cabinets $2000 (finished and installed myself)
New oak baseboards and other oak trim $500
plywood and backerbord for counter and other wood for contruction $300
Stain and poly $35
Copper hinges $120
Hardware for cabinets $320
Replaced rotten floor sections $350
New windows $460
New patio door in dining area $550
New paint $50
Knockdown wall texture $100 (including cost of gun)

$13300 spent above

Tools and other supplies
texture gun
tile saw $75
cordless drill $80
Nailgun $120
Caulk gun $15
Caulk $50
Screws $20
Nails $40
Circular saw $60 (the old one was found murdured by furious owner for constantly cutting at an angle)
Band aids $20
Alcohol $?
New hammer $20 (last one was seen making a quick escape into the field)
Black pipe and fittings $30
other plumbing $40
New ladder $100
counseling $ on going

Headaches, bruises, cuts and Fights with wife about where the fuck is all our money going ?
Pricless!

total $14,000

did all the work myself and saved $1000's
still yet to buy
new table and chairs
microwave
lighting

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:18:38 AM EDT
I remodeled my kitchen about one year ago. My son and I did all the demo and clean up. Electirc work was done by a contractor as it was extensive. All the trim work was also done by me.
We went with top of the line everything so costs got a bit out of hand. When were done adding it all up it came to just under 60k. (and this was a small galley kitchen)

However, it looks really nice and I get to eat some tasty meals prepared by naked women with lusty intent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:59:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sslocal:
I remodeled my kitchen about one year ago. My son and I did all the demo and clean up. Electirc work was done by a contractor as it was extensive. All the trim work was also done by me.
We went with top of the line everything so costs got a bit out of hand. When were done adding it all up it came to just under 60k. (and this was a small galley kitchen)

However, it looks really nice and I get to eat some tasty meals prepared by naked women with lusty intent.

You spent $60,000 on a kitchen? I'd need pictures for that. I've done commercial kitchens that were 1/2 that price, and they were custom design and builds with the best contractors Phoenix had to offer.

Got any pics you could share? Or was that a typo and you meant $6,000? For 60k, you'd have a kitchen worth showing off, complete with a live-in butcher!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 1:11:12 PM EDT by sslocal]

Originally Posted By richardh247:

You spent $60,000 on a kitchen? I'd need pictures for that. I've done commercial kitchens that were 1/2 that price, and they were custom design and builds with the best contractors Phoenix had to offer.

Got any pics you could share? Or was that a typo and you meant $6,000? For 60k, you'd have a kitchen worth showing off, complete with a live-in butcher! [:P
]

No photos to speak of but it was custom cabinets. I might add that it included the rest of my downstairs as well. Ceramic tile through out the downstairs area. New bar built with matching ceramic tile on the countertop and bar. Custom lighting, new drywall and insulation. Removal of exsisting door and patch up the hole. Paint to match the rest of the stucco. Smooth coat all drywall downstairs.

I did all the painting downstairs by myself as well as the stairwell. (that was a pain)

Yes, 60k not a typo. (my wife does well in the butcher department)

BTW - This is the kitchen I promised my wife when we moved in to this house 10 years ago. When we moven in there was a stove, a glass shelf, and a frige. nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 1:28:45 PM EDT by RuskEnt]
jthuang- I'll send you a PM later, i may be able to help you out and save you money. I do this stuff for a living.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:07:39 PM EDT
I just finished a MAJOR kitchen renovation. We did:
1. New Cabinets (and re-arranged the kitchen minimally)
2. New Fridge
3. New over-the-range microwave
4. New floor
5. Cheap laminate countertops (that look damn good for the money)
6. New marble sink
7. All brushed nickle hardware (including decent faucet)

We had the cabinets and microwave installed (there had only been a range hood so it required some electrical work. I (with some help) did the demo, the drywall work (fairly involved, some areas of the kitchen had none behind cabinets), the painting, and the new floor, the countertop, sink, faucet and hardware install. Me doing that labor saved us about $4k from several quotes we got. THe install on the cabinets was money well spent. I also had my building engineer reconnect some of the plumbing (the new sink had the drain in a different location which required cutting the drain pipe).

All told we spend about $6k for a galley style kitchen. It was a dramatic improvement and we did virtually everything the inexpensive way. We bought KraftMaids bargain line cabinets (Premier) and spend about $91/linear foot per cabinets. We did almost all of it through Home Depot, which worked out pretty well. I would do the work again myself in a heartbeat, it took some time but the money it saved earned me some play money for guns and guitars.

Feel free to IM me if you want any advice,

shooter
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:21:40 PM EDT
JT, it really isn't that hard-especially putting down ceramic tile. When I recently redid my latest kitchen,I only contracted out the granite countertops (a screwup here will REALLY show). A place like Home Depot usually has classes for things like tile laying,and they can set you up with all the right tools and materials. I put up new cabinets in one kitchen I did, which was not too bad a job,especially when I learned a few tricks like how to brace them up and clamp them together while I was putting them up. In my present kitchen,the oak cabinets were faded and dull-looking, so I took all the doors off,and removed all the hardware like knobs,and wiped them down with mineral spirits (outside!),and restained them. Then I sprayed them with polyurethane,and put new knobs on them-they look brand-new. If you live alone, you won't have a wife breathing down your neck to get the job done in a hurry,and you can go slow and do the job right. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:44:25 PM EDT
Anybody have a suggestion for a granite counter top subsitution?
I'm looking for something that looks like granite but cheaper to install as counter top and splash board. It would also have to be durable, look good and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:55:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yobo:
Anybody have a suggestion for a granite counter top subsitution?
I'm looking for something that looks like granite but cheaper to install as counter top and splash board. It would also have to be durable, look good and easy to clean.

Had a buddy use granite floor tile, it really came out nice
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:29:31 PM EDT
Thanks for all the responses. I'm a single guy, living alone so I don't know a lot of about this stuff.

Damn, I figured the pricing was gonna be high. Right now I'm looking at $16k for labor on the cabinets and flooring alone. Gonna have to save my pennies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:36:16 PM EDT
In case you missed it....

Originally Posted By richardh247:
Here I go again...

Make you a deal, dude.

I need a vacation from here, and I have friends in Johnstown.

You buy the plane ticket, give me a place to sleep, beer to drink, food to eat, and cable and internet, I'll come down for 2 weeks and we'll do it all together. We can do it, but you'll need to buy tools and stuff (can't bring tools on an airplane, or fire, LOL). A couch to sleep on is just fine, as is macaroni and cheese for meals. I'm not easy, but I'm cheap

You send me home with $1,000 in my pocket and beer in my belly, we'll call it good. Note: I AM NOT A LICENSED CONTRACTOR IN YOUR STATE.

I can do the cabinets, electrical, walls, countertops, floors, and etc. Materials, of course, you buy, and appliances. But for a place to sleep and relax and a grand for helping, you've got me 10 hours a day for 14 days if you'll help me do the labor itself. In 2 weeks, we can get everything done. So labor will cost you a round-trip plane ticket, food and beer, and $1,000. And I want some Venison to bring home.

Best I can do, bro, but if you're interested PM me and we'll swap numbers.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:43:58 PM EDT
i jsut added a 24 x 24 additon that is more or less kitchen /great room. I dont have anywhere to host my pics otherwise I would post. cost about 45 k doner all by me and pops.

It gets old quick working on it everydy for 1.5 years.
Top Top