Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:52:28 PM EDT
Has George Lucas released the first 3 movies made New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi on the big screen lately?  My son would like to know.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Lately?

I think I remember them being re-relased (with new cleaned-up effects, etc) back in the late 90s, but I don't know if there was a re-release more recently.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lately?

I think I remember them being re-relased (with new cleaned-up effects, etc) back in the late 90s, but I don't know if there was a re-release more recently.  

I thought I saw a comemercal that they were going to be released in the 90s but I never saw them in the theaters locally.  Of course Oregon is always the last to get anything but usually we at least get it.

My son is writing Lucas Arts asking him to re-release them.  I think he has a good chance!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Circa 1997-98 I think was when he did the rereleases on the big screen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
On thing bad about home video is older movies are not released to theaters today. This was still a common practice up in to the mid-late 70s. You could still catch many older films on the big screen… Gone with the Wind for instance was played in theaters almost every year as did many of the classics. The original Star Wars movies had several theater releases but no more.

Nothing like seeing a movie in a old style movie house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The remastered special editions were rereleased in the late '90s not long before The Phantom Menace was released. I think '97-'98 is probably about right.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I caught them all in Portland when they were re-released in 1997.

Very cool, especially on the huge screen at Eastgate theater (now closed).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If I recall star wars was like in the theaters for like 2 years back in the 70's when it first came out. And then I think the re-released it just before the "Empire Strikes Back" came out in
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If I recall star wars was like in the theaters for like 2 years back in the 70's when it first came out. And then I think the re-released it just before the "Empire Strikes Back" came out in

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On thing bad about home video is older movies are not released to theaters today. This was still a common practice up in to the mid-late 70s. You could still catch many older films on the big screen… Gone with the Wind for instance was played in theaters almost every year as did many of the classics. The original Star Wars movies had several theater releases but no more.

The local Cinemark does old movies at midnights on Fridays.

This weekend, for example, they're playing Clockwork Orange.

ETA:   Re... Star Wars, it was just the bungled up "special" editions.
You know, Greedo shoots first, etc.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The last time the REAL Star Wars was in theaters was 1981.  Lucas released the totally ruined, PC'd "Special Edition" versions of IV, V, and VI in 1997.  He refuses to release the original versions on DVD.

I wouldn't hold your breath about SW being brought back to the theaters anytime soon, though if Lucas and Fox had any brains, they would re-release them every 10 years.  It's not like they wouldn't sell out every show for a month...

-Troy

what made them pc?  did he delete scenes?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The local Cinemark does old movies at midnights on Fridays.

This weekend, for example, they're playing Clockwork Orange.

ETA:   Re... Star Wars, it was just the bungled up "special" editions.
You know, Greedo shoots first, etc.

Good but not the same, I hate those cracker box sized theaters.

The old movie theaters that sat hundreds of people were a community experience.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm waiting for the Star Wars Christmas Special to hit the big screen...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]

HAN SOLO FIRED FIRST!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The last time the REAL Star Wars was in theaters was 1981.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The last time the REAL Star Wars was in theaters was 1981.  Lucas released the totally ruined, PC'd "Special Edition" versions of IV, V, and VI in 1997.  He refuses to release the original versions on DVD.

I wouldn't hold your breath about SW being brought back to the theaters anytime soon, though if Lucas and Fox had any brains, they would re-release them every 10 years.  It's not like they wouldn't sell out every show for a month...

-Troy

Mostly computer CG changes and added unnecessary stuff not in the originals. "Cleaned up"
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Lucas is making a huge mistake by not releasing the original versions on DVD. I bet legions of nerds and fanboys (myself admitted ) would buy it out in an instant

Hell it's why i dont have the originals on DVD myself yet,

GODDAMN HAN SOLO SHOOTS FIRST!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

Mostly computer CG changes and added unnecessary stuff not in the originals. "Cleaned up"

Yeah, they also mede it so Han shot Greedo in self defense, which is total bullshit.

On the plus side, they DIDN'T fix the nip-slip in Jedi.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Good Lord, I hope they don't release the originals on DVD until my son can start buying this stuff himself!  I swear I could have put a Lucas kid through a good community college with the money I've spent on Star Wars!

I haven't watched the remake of the Solo/Greedo fight.  That's horrible.  

One thing for sure there's just no way to share the excitement we had [our generation] for watching Star Wars the original on the big screen for the first time.  It was just a huge......

WOW

I remember when my brother and father snuck in and watched it [with out the entire family, something happened and we had planned to go see it a few days after it was released] and they were suppose to keep it a secret that they had seen it.  They both came home looking as if they flew in a leer jet with out a wind shield.  It was so exciting to hear them try to explain the special effects.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Without too much work you can find DVD "backups" of the Laserdisc versions of the original trilogy to go with your Box Set that was released last year (I think it was last year). Not exactly reference quality (from what I hear) but every collection by true fans should have the original story before Lucas went nuts and started messing with my beloved childhood memories.

Just sayin'.

Though I still have the box set. Those movies have never looked or sounded better than they do on the official Lucasfilm DVDs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the original "Star Wars" (a new hope) and "Empire Strikes Back" on CED if anyone is into collecting CED disks...

And a whole bunch of others .. along with about 5 players in various conditions gathing dust ..

Ted...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm just waiting for the remastered Raider of the lost arc.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One thing for sure there's just no way to share the excitement we had [our generation] for watching Star Wars the original on the big screen for the first time.  It was just a huge......

WOW

Patty

Oh, I don’t know about that.

I purchased the Star Wars Trilogy for my son for Christmas because he showed an interest in the latest movies. I unknowingly created a new 13 year old Star Wars fan, and rekindled the interest I once had in the movies!

I came home from work to find my son out in the work shop building this Tie Interceptor model. Of course I had to get in on the model building action too and helped out.

But take a look at the Tie Fighter he built on his own from scratch!

I kind of feel bad now that I sold all the Star Wars stuff I collected as a kid, I’m sure my son would have loved to have it all now!  By the way……..I now have an original 1977 R2-D2 model on the way that I’m going to build!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have the original "Star Wars" (a new hope) and "Empire Strikes Back" on CED if anyone is into collecting CED disks...

And a whole bunch of others .. along with about 5 players in various conditions gathing dust ..

Ted...

Thats great..

Do me a big favor..

In the original release of SW 4 one particular scene comes to mind. When the Millinium Falcon first arrives at Yavin 4, It comes in at a steep angle to the surface. In fact its nose dive straight to the ground and pulls a snapping 90 degree turn just above tree level. When the movie was release on TV and VHS/Beta this scene was removed.

Does your CED have that scene.

It really pissed alot of people off when that was deleted.

It is just as bad as reducing the opening view of the Spaceball destroyer so that you can't understand or laugh at the ridiculous lenght and the bumper sticker at its rear.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
They both came home looking as if they flew in a leer jet with out a wind shield.

I've always wanted to try that!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

Yeah, they also mede it so Han shot Greedo in self defense, which is total bullshit.

On the plus side, they DIDN'T fix the nip-slip in Jedi.

What?! You mean to tell me that they got so PC as to make it where Han had to shoot in self defense??? What a bunch of pansies!

My sister gave me the VHS boxed set of the first three films for Christmas back in the late 90s, whenever it was first released. What's different about that version?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Although I am agianst revising original movies, a few of the more minor changes I didn't really mind so much that I would not watch the movie, but at least one change was made in each of the three Special Editions that totally ruined the movie.

Ep IV:  Greedo shooting first.
"Wrong Wrong Wrong!"

Ep V:  Luke screaming as he fell after losing his hand.
He let go voluntarily, for God's sake.  He chose to die rather than join Vader.  Why would he scream?  It ruins the power of his decision.

Ep VI:  Probably that stupid dance number they put in Jabba's palace and the changed Ewok victory song they put at the end.  And they didn't make more Ewoks die horrible deaths.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm just waiting for the remastered Raider of the lost arc.

www.crankycritic.com/qa/qaimages/ssonsouthpark.jpg

Done a few years ago, wasn't it? I have the Indiana Jones trilogy box set... Looked remastered to me!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#30]
A 3-D version of all six movies will be released beginning in 2007.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Let's not forget the HORRIBLY DONE scene in A New Hope where Jabba comes to the hanger to talk to Han Solo.  That smaller, unintimidating, pensive-looking Jabba looks NOTHING like the Empire Jaba, and it really undermines the "mafia Don" mystique that the Empire Jaba has.

Bad-asses like Jabba (was originally depicted as) don't leave their lair to have conversations with people who owe them money.  They send underlings (hey, now that you mention it, remember Greedo?) to do their dirty work.  If they are going to interface with "the little people", they do it in places that they control.  Of course, Francis Ford Coppela understood this dynamic, and originally wrote those plot elements into A New Hope.  Lucas, who is a HORRIBLE writer, came back and screwed it all up with the Special Editions.

Nearly every change made to the original movies took away from the story.  Okay, so the CG shots of Tatooine and the Stormtroopers on the lizards might have been acceptable, except that they looked so out-of-place inserted into an obviously-live-action scene, but I could have lived with that.  I'm also fine with them cleaning up a lot of the matting problems from the space scenes, but changing important plot elements (Greedo shooting first?  Please.) just ruins the whole experience.

^
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ted...

Thats great..

Do me a big favor..

In the original release of SW 4 one particular scene comes to mind. When the Millinium Falcon first arrives at Yavin 4, It comes in at a steep angle to the surface. In fact its nose dive straight to the ground and pulls a snapping 90 degree turn just above tree level. When the movie was release on TV and VHS/Beta this scene was removed.

Does your CED have that scene.

It really pissed alot of people off when that was deleted.

It is just as bad as reducing the opening view of the Spaceball destroyer so that you can't understand or laugh at the ridiculous lenght and the bumper sticker at its rear.

I've never seen those scenes cut from either film. Maybe I'll have to dig out our old laserdisc copy of A New Hope and see, but I know my Spaceballs DVD is uncut.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You're kidding right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

one every year for the next 6 years

May the force...and your wallet.....be with you!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

one every year for the next 6 years

May the force...and your wallet.....be with you!

That Lucas has me by the short hairs, and he just won't let go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd love it if Lucas would let Genndy Tartakovsky redo all six movies Clone Wars-style.  That would so totally rock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

YES HE DID!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES HE DID!

I still feel bad for Greedo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The last time the REAL Star Wars was in theaters was 1981.

maybe on a wide scale. But I remember as kid in the  late 80's a small local threatre ran them during the summer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 I hear that they are considering re-relasing them in 3D format
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember them being released just before Episode I came out a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
+1 I hear that they are considering re-relasing them in 3D format

I saw Attack of the Clones in a domed IMAX theater a couple years ago.  Due to the size of the screen and field of view, the people scenes were difficult to watch, but the action scenes were awesome!  If it had been filmed specifically for IMAX it would have been better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top