User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:38:10 PM EDT

70 Miles per hour head on and the cage still holds:

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6605730767077503480

www.zapworld.com/cars/smartCar.asp

California won't approve it because it does not meet the California emission standards or "safety" standards.  They frowned against the scooter I rode to work last summer.  Eventhough I was getting 70+ miles per gallon, they did not treat it as a low-emission/gas-saving vehicle (City of L.A. offers free public parking and some other perks to LE vehicles).

I think these things would be great for the Los Angeles area.  Too bad this state is so ass-backwards when it comes to the environment...

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You can thank American automobile makers for the lack of cheap, fuel efficient cars in America. Eons ago American industry used to fight against senseless regulation. Eventually they realized they could use it to their advantage. All kinds of innovative products are kept from us under the guise of protecting us from 'dangerous' products.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]

I can't believe you're serious

What a POS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
needs spinners.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
POS?  Jeeebus I cant tell you how many times I've witnessed people in big honkin trucks/SUV's driving around with absolutely nothing in them but the driver and their personal shit.  Hell I know a bazillion people who drive around in just such a manner.  Yeah sure they have a right too... but I kinda like the idea of everyone(who can afford the lack of cargo space)  driving these smart cars, and the USA and commie venezuela to go pound sand as we dont need their crude any longer.  It would be fun watching the eurotrash duke it out with red china and the Indians for control of the oil in the gulf.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If I can't throw an ATV in the back, and hook up a trailer filled with camping supplies, then drive it 50 miles into the middle of nowhere on unfinished back roads in muddy weather, I don't care what kinda gas mileage it gets.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What a POS.

POS?  For your regular day to day office commuter type this would be a great thing.  Granted it's got even less room in it for a range day than my Miata, isn't going to be doing any offroading and it also looks like a rollover nightmare, but the car definately had a place.

I'd own one of these and a truck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a POS.

POS?  For your regular day to day office commuter type this would be a great thing.  Granted it's got even less room in it for a range day than my Miata, isn't going to be doing any offroading and it also looks like a rollover nightmare, but the car definately had a place.

Yeah, a car you need to be shoe-horned into every morning would be PERFECT for a commuter.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a POS.

Yeah, a car you need to be shoe-horned into every morning would be PERFECT for a commuter.....

Take a look at the google video with the Top Gear guy standing next to the Zap.  Shoe-horning is not an honest appraisal.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I want a Smart Crossblade. No windshield. No doors. No top.  Great for summer not for winter!

BTW, there's at least three Smarts already registered in Greater L.A. because I've seen them myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Needs to be lowered. And turbo charged.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a POS.

Take a look at the google video with the Top Gear guy standing next to the Zap.  Shoe-horning is not an honest appraisal.  

I can barely get in and out of my parents Grand Am, there's no fracking way my wide ass is gonna make it into that thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
In europe I saw these things up close quite a bit and they really arent as bad as you guys are trying to make them out to be.  Oh wow a car that is safe, makes very good mileage, and can still easily travel at highway speeds, and still has room for the groceries.(those shopping for a household of day laborers need not apply)  They arent as cramped as they look, your average person will fit in just fine.  Those of you who balk at the idea of commuting in these are silly.  It must suck depending on the size of your engine to make up for the size of your, um... ya know
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If they came to Cali you could bet on somebody getting them down to under 15mpg via superchargers, nos and giant fart cans within a week.  That governor would be the first thing off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I know I saw a Smart in a showroom in San Francisco two weeks ago.

There are several different Smart models, some larger than others.

Great for San Francisco. You can park the things nose-in to the kerb, and it won't stick out any further than a regular car which is parallel parked. They really are good little city cars. And no, they're not rollover type. Clarkson did his damndest to get one to either lift a wheel or powerslide, and he couldn't.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]
You "think" it's a POS, but it actually is quite a nice city car. Originally designed by swatch, mercedes engineering allows it to get awesome crash test rating despite the fact it is TINY. There are also newer, "cooler" versions available such as a AMG tuned version, and a brand new roadster which actually looks normal.

It wouldn't be a good car to take on the highways though... but for the city its MPG and small size make it much more logical to have than a ford explorer, a cadillac, or even a toyota camry!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I wish California would approve it too.  

Just keep it out of Arizona.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]
i dont see how sombody could survive a crash in one of those things
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
i saw these things in japan several years ago. very funky, should be a big hit with the kids!

ETA: this looks like a new thing so i musta seen something else. it sure looked like this though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a POS.

I have a friend who rented one in Germany (He is 6' and about 190lbs) and he was very surprised at the interior size. Pleanty of room and very well designed. He raved about it. I wish I could get the diesel version.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Motorcycle - that will keep you dry and clean on the way to work.  Priced correctly, I think they would be ok.  Not sure if they are any more crashworthy - but then again, besides my bike, I drive a BIG truck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#22]
You wouldn't catch me in one, but options for everyone is a good thing
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd never buy one, but they're convenient to have when you're in a crowded city like Taipei.

Unfortunately, this car would never do well in the US.

For one, even though it can withstand a 70mph impact into a concrete barrier, no telling what it'll do in a crash with some soccer mom's Excursion.

In addition to safety features, you must also give the IMPRESSION of safety. Big, heavy SUVs LOOK safer than they are. A MINI Cooper may do fine in crash against an SUV, but no one really believes that.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#25]
wouldn't work for my commute, but for city shitters, why not?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#26]

every now and again [when i was in the UK] i would see one of those bad-boys worked. exhaust, wheels, tires, all the bling-bling. that always gave me a little chuckle.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#27]
they're actually quite roomy for one person.  Huge head room.

They're a sponsor of the NYC Marathon. I got to drive one around a parking lot.

If I had to live in a big city I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I've already got a truck for hauling and I'd totally get one of those for the daily grind.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#30]
In Germany last May, I rented a Smart "forfour", a 4-door model. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs., and there was enough room for 4 of us and our gear. Fuel economy was outstanding, and it was peppy enough to more than keep up with traffic on the autobahns. I would have preferred a roadster-coupe, the sporty looking model picture posted previously, but all in all it was a nice car.
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
needs spinners.

+1

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I want one. I'd drive it in a minute.
Already have an Expedition for any wprk that needs done. All I need is a shitbox to get to and from work as cheaply and efficiently as possible that doesnt make me feel like I'm riding in a plastic crate ready to spread my ass across the road like butter.

After seeing that crash test, thats the ticket!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Big on the inside, small on the outside...some have trouble understanding that can be done. Funny that those that frequent a board dedicated to a "mouse" gun would have that problem...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I should probably put this on the police car thread.

Even the most Euroautophiles would be hard pressed to categorise this as a pursuit vehicle.

Still, useful for European policing.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Needs a big-block.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a POS.

I can barely get in and out of my parents Grand Am, there's no fracking way my wide ass is gonna make it into that thing.

If you have trouble fitting into a mid-size Pontiac you are either abnormally tall or extremely overweight.

The Smart Car is an awesome concept. It's built by Mercedes, right? I'd buy one if I had a long daily commute.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#39]
You do realize that the engine compartment is sealed on those right?  IIRC, the only thing you can do is add wiper fluid to them.  In Mainz, GE they had a rental place that had a 3-4 story spiral tower with those inside of it.  Just like a bubble gum dispenser, they hit the button and the next one rotated down.  Here is your rental car sir.  It had an elevator on the side to reload the returned cars.  Anyway, that will be 50 man points for even admitting to want one of these cars.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#40]
The video is meaningless. It tells us NOTHING about how a person riding in the car would fare. Put a raw egg in a .30 caliber ammo can and throw this down a pair of steps. The can will be virtually unharmed. The egg, not so good.

In European NCAP crash tests, the SMART did fair-to-poor. The lack of a front crush zone means the occupants are subjected to pretty severe stresses. In Europe, it got a 3 out of 5 stars, but did far better in side impacts than for front impact. And they only run the front impact  test at 40 mph. At 70, the occupants would most likely be DOA.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Anyway, that will be 50 man points for even admitting to want one of these cars.

A guy driving one of these will get more tail than a guy driving a C6 Corvette...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Nitrous (+350hp kit )

Big monster wing on the back

Neon underlighting

The aforementioned spinners (20in with the rubber coating, sometimes called a tire)

Flame paint job

edit:

1.21 Jigawatt sound system

Traction bars (although may already be part of the lowered suspension)

Engine rebuild kit (due to the overboost from the turbo/nitro combo)

and of course ...

FUZZY DICE

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I saw several of these in Germany on my last trip over. They would be great city/suburbia commuters. I saw one perpendicular parked on the street. YES - perpendicular. They are not for eveyone but a great option. We need options folks. You don't have to give up your man card to see the other side of an idea...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#45]
i seen some in LA... one of my buddies owns one there. u can buy it as a kit car w/o engine then just put it together.. i thikn u can register it also
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
This was going to be my point. Of course the cage is very rigid, but the driver is also travelling the same speed as the car. If the car doesn't deform to absorb the collision forces, what is going to take the force? The driver.
You're dead.

As cars move towards carbon fiber monocoques in the future, crumble zones won't be that important. The safest racing cars in the world have very little in the way of crumble zones. They also don't have airbags
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#47]
It seems like it might be cool but there si so much flash media bullshit on the page I can't even sift through to find any info.
They sure have some snazzy visuals and some music to go with it but I don't really have a clue what their product is all about.

It reminds me of the Salomon web page.

Fuck it.

ETA: This bitching applies to the SmartUSA page...the UK one seems better.  Has America been identified as a market with such horribly poor attention span that we are targeted for hypnosis via flash media rather than persuasion via useful information?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This was going to be my point. Of course the cage is very rigid, but the driver is also travelling the same speed as the car. If the car doesn't deform to absorb the collision forces, what is going to take the force? The driver.
You're dead.

As cars move towards carbon fiber monocoques in the future, crumble zones won't be that important. The safest racing cars in the world have very little in the way of crumble zones. They also don't have airbags

Actually, these race cars have long noses that are destroyed in crashes, allowing the driver's body to decelerate slower. Not a "crumple" zone, but a "destruction" zone. They don't have airbags because they have five point harnesses.

The laws of physics cannot be evaded.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're dead.

Actually, these race cars have long noses that are destroyed in crashes, allowing the driver's body to decelerate slower. Not a "crumple" zone, but a "destruction" zone. They don't have airbags because they have five point harnesses.

The laws of physics cannot be evaded.

They hardly slow the body down at all. Many wrecks have instant spikes of over 100g's of deceleration. The nose can not deform that much because the feet are awfully close to the front of it. They have been moved back in recent years (in the past leg injuries were very common) and materials have gotten better, but the human body will still take a massive shock. The noses don't destroy themselves that easily either...in fact they can act as a spear they are so strong...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#50]
I want one.  It would probably still be safer than my Geo Metro, and get even better mileage.  It is probably safer than my truck and easier to use around town.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top