Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most outstanding, Cope!  Thanks, bro.  

What I meant with my original "thirds" statement was like this:

You have a soffit of 12", which needs new rock.  On the top, the soffit transitions into a popcorn ceiling.  On the bottom, it goes opposite into another ceiling that won't be getting rock.  So, to transition smoothly (cornerbead would produce a funky angle since the adjacent surface would be original, while the "new" wall would be 1/4" topped), you'd rip a 4" piece and hang that center of the soffit.  Then, edge the old surfaces and let the blade ride on the new surface, after a fill of mud.  It works like cornerbead, but for the inside and doesn't require anything special besides a deft touch and going slowly - using lots of coats, of course.  

It's kind of hard to explain, but it's cheap and very effective - and it does the same thing as your product does, except it does it at a slant and on both the top and bottom.  There's no real way to graphically represent that here, but it slopes from the original surface to the 1/4" raised surface on both sides, which is pretty much not noticable once the mud dries and texture gets shot.  I'll make a little something and grab some pictures to show you what I mean if I can.  

Still, looks like your suggesstion is the way to go if I can find it!  And again, thank you!  

That is exactly what I thought you were saying, but I couldn't believe what my eyes were reading.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems to me like it may be similar to the following scenario.  Imagine me pigtailing a porcelain pull chain bulb holder with no shade and a 2" chain, retaining a single 200 watt unfrosted bulb, to a couple 10' lengths of knob and tube wiring, hanging down from a 16' cathedral ceiling over the formal dining room table of the Whitehouse.  Am I on the right track here?  

Oh, good God, NO!  Well, I suppose it could be, if I had ever used mud to fill that amount!  

Again, that is just one method I was taught when I was laughed at for the way I actually do it.  I scrape the popcorn off the ceiling, install the rock flush to the corner, and then inside corner tape and mud.  Then I blow new popcorn and texture and use masking (painters) tape to make a clean line between the peel and the popcorn.  When the reveal hits a ceiling with an outside corner, I would cut out a good portion of the cornerbead and replace it, then mud as normal.  

A sheetrock guy saw me doing this, and said I was wasting my time and to do it as I mentioned above in the other post.  It was his suggestion to split thirds, but I never did it, just as I never ran board and sealed the edge with caulk.  I don't mind taking the time to do it right.  I should have been more specefic, but trust me...  I am no hack.  

That's why I asked you for a better way.  And you gave me a great one I hadn't heard of!  So that's what we'll be doing.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That's why I asked you for a better way.  And you gave me a great one I hadn't heard of!  So that's what we'll be doing.  

I was jus funnin wif ya.  I can tell that you are well versed in renovation.  Just wanted to yank yer porcelain mounted pullchain.  Did ya catch where AZ is now wanting to do away with the existing popcorn and add crown?  No need to even use the Tear Away L Bead Now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was jus funnin wif ya.  I can tell that you are well versed in renovation.  Just wanted to yank yer porcelain mounted pullchain.  Did ya catch where AZ is now wanting to do away with the existing popcorn and add crown?  No need to even use the Tear Away L Bead Now.

I talked to him a few minutes ago.  Hell of a nice guy, but ain't it funny how sheetrock turns into "oh, yeah, and add switches and a few fans and a pool and an indoor shooting range and..."

Just funnin with ya AZ!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I am trying to send Rich the pics of the house, all 22 megs of them. Coxmail won't let me send ANYTHING this morning. Gmail says I can send 10 megs BUT still throws errors at 8megs.

This is pissing me off. I have tried for 30 mins, making the zips smaller and smaller. One file went, it was 8.4 megs, the other 2 at 8.6 megs died. I don't get it.

I will re send when I get home around 3:30.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Why stress it?  I'll be there tomorrow to see it in person!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
pics are sent.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top