Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:37:31 AM EDT
From reviewing the zombie documentary/training films, I realize that zombies were once living beings that died and then were re-animated.

While the original zombies were slow-walking, shambling, and operating on the most rudimentary levels (not like the new crop of high-speed "zoom-bies" that are able to run), it appears that their basic physiologic sytems are still functioning, though at an impaired level.

So, my question is "Would a zombie be affected by CS gas?"

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated as I have not seen this addressed in the Training Films.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
No..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
they dont breath, they dont feel pain

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
So their vision works and their muscular system works.

And breathing is a result of the involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle, so aren't they still breathing?

When they vocalize in grunts, that is air passing from the lungs over vibrating vocal cords.  So the fact that they can vocalize would lead me me to believe they are still in fact breathing.

So would CS cause spasmodic contractions of the diaphragm as well as stimulating the tear ducts and impairing their vision?

I just have a couple of "ert" CS grenades lying around and didn't want to pack them in my anti-zombie kit if they are just dead weight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Pack the CS anyway.  There will be other threats than zombies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for a well-thought-out scientific response.

Zombie response forces across America need to know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
if they are rotting, there vission would be cloudy

the films have it wrong,
the "freshies" could still move, but after a few weeks, depending on temp, they would be blind and after the mussle rots away, it wont work.. the "boney" zombies from return of the living dead could not walk ..
no tissue, no movement..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quote from xinflt:

Pack the CS anyway. There will be other threats than zombies.

Good idea.  I'll put them in my "Other-than-zombie-threat kit", unless someone decides that CS will affect zombies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#8]
also, that would make imbalmed zombies more dangerous, since they wont rot, there eyes might be stiched or glued shut, making them blind, but they can still hear and smell

but if they were autoposyed, they would be no threat, since the brain is removed and put back, thus severing the cord.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Won't affect them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Well if you guys would take this more serious and not as a joke you would have already done your own research, And found out that Zombies DO NO WORK ON SIGHT.. They work by smell and hearing only.

WTF, The ineptitude of this place is just F**king staggering! I only take 5 yes counting them 5 seconds to find the damn answer on the god damn net! Did you put forth any form of effort to find the answer your self or just thought "Hey ill just throw this out to the guys on arfcom and see if they will do my work for me." Well guess what sweet pea! When the Zombie hoard is knocking on your damn door your gonna be f**ked with out your arfcom buddies to wipe your ass for ya.

Screw you guys in going home...

/slams door

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Gosh, Fat McNasty.  I thought I would ask on ARFcom as I thought there might be others out there on this site with "ert" CS grenades that might be looking for a use for them, and hey, if it works on zombies then they're not wasted.

At least you answered part of the question, as CS gas will certainly inhibit the zombies' sense of smell.  So as I initially took your response as "I don't know, but I don't want anyone else to know that I don't know, so I'll just rant at the poster and then storm out of the thread and slam the door".  But now I see that your response was coded for the more astute members who take this seriously and not as a joke.

Screw all those other places on the web, I'm just looking out for my buddies on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So their vision works and their muscular system works.

And breathing is a result of the involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle, so aren't they still breathing?

When they vocalize in grunts, that is air passing from the lungs over vibrating vocal cords.  So the fact that they can vocalize would lead me me to believe they are still in fact breathing.

So would CS cause spasmodic contractions of the diaphragm as well as stimulating the tear ducts and impairing their vision?

I just have a couple of "ert" CS grenades lying around and didn't want to pack them in my anti-zombie kit if they are just dead weight.

Remember that a decapitated zombie head will still live.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
also, that would make imbalmed zombies more dangerous, since they wont rot, there eyes might be stiched or glued shut, making them blind, but they can still hear and smell

but if they were autoposyed, they would be no threat, since the brain is removed and put back, thus severing the cord.

the eyes might be glued shit, but the embalming won't matter. Embalming is almost never a permanetn thing anymore (the environment donthcaknow) normal embalming will only last a few days (long enough to keep the corpse presentable and not stinky for the services) and once in the ground as the chemicals oxidize rotting will occur and eventually dear great aunt suzie will turn to mush and bone, then dust. Instead of bustign up through her box t ocome chomp down on your living flesh...

oh, and CS will not affect a creature that does not cry or feel pain, and zombies don't do either
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WTF, The ineptitude of this place is just F**king staggering!

/slams door

'

I know it's frustrating dealing with zombie chow, but relax.  Remember, only a handful will survive this.  I'm already getting used to the idea of them feeding on each others.

Poor ignorant bastards need to read the book.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Fat McNasty says that they respond to smells and CS will affect their sense of smell.  Won't do anything for their hearing, but it will sure screw up their ability to smell you.

Note to self:  get more ammo, in case the CS does not work (since they never use it in the Training Films)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay, here is what I want to know.

Zombies are re-animated flesh.  So, If a zombie eats a regular living person, the regular guy is infected, right?  I would also assume that any piece of flesh would be animated, since the regular organs and stuff are unnecessary.
When a zombie eats a regular person, I would think they would have to digest them, too.  Waste is obviously a by-product of digestion.

So, is zombie poop animated?  It is flesh, after all.  Oh, sure, it wouldn't pose much of a threat, but just the same.

Or, do zombies eat flesh just for something to do, and not actually utilize it for nutritional value?  Even so, I would think they would still have to eliminate the extra somehow, or they would explode from gorging themselves.

either way, we are doomed.  animated zombie poop  AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Zombies are re-animated flesh.  So, If a zombie eats a regular living person, the regular guy is infected, right?  I would also assume that any piece of flesh would be animated, since the regular organs and stuff are unnecessary.
When a zombie eats a regular person, I would think they would have to digest them, too.  Waste is obviously a by-product of digestion.

So, is zombie poop animated?  It is flesh, after all.  Oh, sure, it wouldn't pose much of a threat, but just the same.

Or, do zombies eat flesh just for something to do, and not actually utilize it for nutritional value?  Even so, I would think they would still have to eliminate the extra somehow, or they would explode from gorging themselves.

The brain is reanimated.

If you cut off a zombies arm it is dead. Same for zombie poop. If it ain't attached to the brain, it is dead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The brain is reanimated.

If you cut off a zombies arm it is dead. Same for zombie poop. If it ain't attached to the brain, it is dead.

Ahhh, that makes sense.  I've seen zombie heads blinking and gurgling in training films.  I guess I just assumed other parts of them could live, too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, The ineptitude of this place is just F**king staggering!

/slams door

'

I know it's frustrating dealing with zombie chow, but relax.  Remember, only a handful will survive this.  I'm already getting used to the idea of them feeding on each others.

Poor ignorant bastards need to read the book.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/RealUgly/zombiehandbook.jpg

Is it a good thing if I noticed all the errors in that book?

Also, long story short- CS will have absolutely no effect on zombies and will likely just backfire on you. Similarly, while you might be under the impression that a taser might be useful (rendering their muscles out of control), it won't be. Zombies aren't nearly as affected as humans, especially since most human response is out of pain. Plus then there's the obvious question of what to do with the zombie now on the end of your taser.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I have anti-CS gear and have used it before, so I'm okay there.  Have seen enough training films to realize the taser is useless anyway.  Good point, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top