Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:57:32 PM EDT
I was listening to the 60's Channel on the XM Radio today when I heard the announcer say, "Tune into channel xxx for Fox News."  The other day during a little intermission the announcer was talking to the chick that was announcing for the emergency alert channel and she was doing a little report for the wildfires in TX and OK.

Why is one channel doing advertisments for other channels?  I want to listen to a certain channel for a reason...if I wanted to listen to a different channel I'd turn to it, mkay?

Edit-I don't mean to be rude but I don't want this thread to turn into a Sirius v. XM flame war, thx.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doesn't bother me at all.  They're just letting you know what's going on with the other channels.

BTW, I am an XM junkie.

Guess I get used to it.  I like XM BTW.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Money talks. Bottom line.

Pay anyone enough money and they will advertise for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Money talks. Bottom line.

Pay anyone enough money and they will advertise for you.

I guess.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it just me or do they play really deep tracks by obscure bands all the time?  Occaisionally I'll hit something I know and like, but most of the time I have no idea who the band is, or if I know the band it's some crazy b side track that never got airplay for a reason.  If the service was more than $5 a month I'd cancel it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
They are trying to get you to tune into a channel that has paid advertising on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is it just me or do they play really deep tracks by obscure bands all the time?  Occaisionally I'll hit something I know and like, but most of the time I have no idea who the band is, or if I know the band it's some crazy b side track that never got airplay for a reason.  If the service was more than $5 a month I'd cancel it.

I thought it was more than that?

I don't think they play any deep tracks...but it's my mom's car...and she doesn't listen to the sat. radio...my dad has been driving it recently since my mom had knee surgery and she's off her feet. So bottom line I don't pay much attention to it.  It's been familliar stuff...like Beatles, and Johnny Rivers, and stuff like that on the 60's channel.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are trying to get you to tune into a channel that has paid advertising on it.

So those are the channels that are not commercial free then?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't think they play any deep tracks...but it's my mom's car...and she doesn't listen to the sat. radio...my dad has been driving it recently since my mom had knee surgery and she's off her feet. So bottom line I don't pay much attention to it. It's been familliar stuff...like Beatles, and Johnny Rivers, and stuff like that on the 60's channel.

Perhaps not on Channel 6 (60's), but Channel 40, titled "Deep Tracks" runs albums all the time.

Quoted:

So those are the channels that are not commercial free then?

XM has no paid advertising on any music channel, with the exception of the specialty channels.  For example, XM opened up channels 103-107 for holiday music, and some of these carried brief ads or sponsorship information.  These were not normal music channels that run year round, hence, the "100% Commercial Free" did not apply to these.  The advertising on these channels was as brief as "blah blah blah brought to you by the United States Post Office."

The non-music channels are not advertised as commercial free, but I hate to lump them in the same category with terrestrial stations.  A normal FM station carries 15-20 minutes of advertised per hour.

The XM non-music channels might have 3-5 minutes, rarely more.

As far as the blurbs for other music channels, those aren't considered commercials, as they're not paid for.

Commercial Advertising, i.e. "commercials" are paid for by third parties.

Station Advertising, i.e. "Promos" or "Hooks", such as "Thanks for listening to <blank> on channel <blank!>  If you liked that, check out <blank2> on channel <blank2>!" are not paid for, hence, they're not a commercial.

For what it's worth, they also don't last that long.

I've had XM in one vehicle or another since a couple months after they launched the service on the West Coast, and have had a unit in the house for about two years.  It's completely replaced AM/FM for me.  In the last few years of listening, I don't think I've heard more than 4-5 minutes of any kind of advert or hook, and that includes when XM WASN'T advertised as being "100% Commercial Free Music".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I found out about Ethel (then Fred and Lucy) from a 'ad' on Top Tracks. Lots of stations, and ya gotta let people know what is out there, since we all lost those little 'station-ID' cards...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I found out about Ethel (then Fred and Lucy) from a 'ad' on Top Tracks. Lots of stations, and ya gotta let people know what is out there, since we all lost those little 'station-ID' cards...

www.xmradio.com/pdf/channel_guide.pdf

Print and save!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is it just me or do they play really deep tracks by obscure bands all the time?  Occaisionally I'll hit something I know and like, but most of the time I have no idea who the band is, or if I know the band it's some crazy b side track that never got airplay for a reason...

In my limited experience with it, that depends heavily upon which channel you choose.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it just me or do they play really deep tracks by obscure bands all the time?  Occaisionally I'll hit something I know and like, but most of the time I have no idea who the band is, or if I know the band it's some crazy b side track that never got airplay for a reason...

In my limited experience with it, that depends heavily upon which channel you choose.

I would kill to find a station that played decent rock and roll... give me some Tom Petty, followed by The Who and then Led Zeppelin.  Maybe some Stones in there too.  Do they have a channel like that?  Nah.

I've tried all the fred, lucy and ethel channels, Squizzle (who thinks up these names?) for very hard/punk rock along with the 70's, 80's, 90's channels, that seem to play nothing but those decades Captain N Tenniel.  Occasionally you'll get a good tune in there, but most of it is crap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#14]
OandA, the virus is spreading
Stern suxs
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Stern suxs

My first exposure to O&A was about a month ago when I was driving home from Omaha (450 miles) one night.  I needed something to listen to and the other talk stations were boring me to death.  I listened for about 45 minutes before I heard the now infamous Gangsta Fag segment.  The bit went on for about 50 minutes during which I never stopped laughing.  I have been hooked ever since.  

I do believe that if Anthony isn't already, he could easily be converted into a complete gun-freak with one trip to a local range with a MP5.  I swear that he already lurks on the survival forum.

FU HOWARD

SBG
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stern suxs

My first exposure to O&A was about a month ago when I was driving home from Omaha (450 miles) one night.  I needed something to listen to and the other talk stations were boring me to death.  I listened for about 45 minutes before I heard the now infamous Gangsta Fag segment.  The bit went on for about 50 minutes during which I never stopped laughing.  I have been hooked ever since.  

I do believe that if Anthony isn't already, he could easily be converted into a complete gun-freak with one trip to a local range with a MP5.  I swear that he already lurks on the survival forum.

FU HOWARD

SBG

Anthony is going after a carry permit. He talked about it on the show
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was listening to the 60's Channel on the XM Radio today when I heard the announcer say, "Tune into channel xxx for Fox News."  The other day during a little intermission the announcer was talking to the chick that was announcing for the emergency alert channel and she was doing a little report for the wildfires in TX and OK.

Why is one channel doing advertisments for other channels?  I want to listen to a certain channel for a reason...if I wanted to listen to a different channel I'd turn to it, mkay?

Edit-I don't mean to be rude but I don't want this thread to turn into a Sirius v. XM flame war, thx.  

FWIW, they were probably "advertising" for the Fox Talk station which just launched this week.

I have no problem with that. I want to know about new stations.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stern suxs

FU HOWARD

SBG

*infamous Gangsta Fag segment*

?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I think Anthony already is quite the gun afficianado...

Quoted:
Quoted:

FU HOWARD

SBG

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#20]
That's one reason why I cancelled my XM subscription.  When listening to Fox News they would play more commercials during the breaks.  Hey I'm paying for this, don't force more commercials into my ears, play some elevator music or something.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stern suxs

FU HOWARD

SBG

Anthony is going after a carry permit. He talked about it on the show

They also do a bit from time to time where listeners call in and blast away with whatever they happen to be shooting.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

myspace-185.vo.llnwd.net/00324/58/15/324475185_l.jpg

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cloudmax/shoot.jpg

Quoted:
Quoted:

FU HOWARD

SBG

I wasn't sure if he was just talking shit or if he actually knew something about black rifle disease.  

I am now committed to spreading the virus.
SBG
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

myspace-185.vo.llnwd.net/00324/58/15/324475185_l.jpg

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cloudmax/shoot.jpg

Quoted:
Quoted:

FU HOWARD

SBG

that is friggen cool!!!!!!
I like the show even more
ETA: So is he a lurker or a member?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I've listened to them quite a bit ever since I got XM about a 1 1/2 yrs. ago...never heard him mention it.

Good chance he's never been here I'd say...or hardly ever.

Who knows.  Ant?  You out there?   Yoooooohhooooooooo......

Quoted:
that is friggen cool!!!!!!
I like the show even more
ETA: So is he a lurker or a member?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]
XM 48 kicks ass.

Work, home, in the car.  I am addicted.  Thanks SigZiggy!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Because then you'd be getting another local broadcast station.  Diversity!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top