Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
I'm going to switch cell carriers from cingular to verizon because most of my family is on verizon so I'll get free calls to them with verizon's "in calling" program.

I was looking at the LG VX8100 ... it would be great except that it's all digital. I'd like something that can use the analog towers in rural areas.

Basically I want a phone with analog+digital, camera, speakerphone, and the ability to load in your own recorded sounds as ringtones.

Any suggestions on which of their phones to get?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Motorola 815 on Verizon. Verizon disables the phone's ability to use your own MP3s as ringtones, but I easily corrected that problem by following instructions on the interweb.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The last LG phone I had sucked and in my opinion analog mode is useless.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, does anyone know if it's possible to get better deals than what shows up on the verizonwireless.com website? Do they do coupon codes etc? Can you get better deals by going into a store and haggling with them?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My LG experience was less than stellar.  I admit I was hard on it and to Verizon's credit they replaced it for free once after I broke it and I told the I broke and was going to buy another one.  My wife had the exact same phone as I and she had not trouble at all.  Though she did not drop hers repeatedly .  I have a Motorola V710 and I love it.  The MP3 ring tone work around is simple.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
How do the mp3 workarounds go for the motorolla phones.

I've had a motorolla v60 since 2002 and it has served me well. I wouldn't be afraid to get another motorola.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
i switched from the lg 4400 to the motorola v710.   I like the trimode phones.   It has excellent reviews  

i would have gotten the 815 but its not trimode

the razor is also avail through verizon but same problem.   not trimode
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You will get two e-mail addresses for your phone if you get the unlimited text/pix plan.  You change the extension of an .MP3 (less than 200k) to .MID do not convert the file just change the extension and email it to the address of your pix. [yourcell#]@vzpix.com.  When it is on your phone you can set it to be your ringtone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking for a new phone right now as well, check out www.phonescoop.com for a good comparison website of the different phones available.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a new phone right now as well, check out www.phonescoops.com for a good comparison website of the different phones available.

I believe the url is www.phonescoop.com

You can pick the provider and the features you need and they will give you a list of phones that match.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm looking for a new phone right now as well, check out www.phonescoop.com for a good comparison website of the different phones available.

I believe the url is www.phonescoop.com

You can pick the provider and the features you need and they will give you a list of phones that match.

You would be correct, thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Mot V710.

Trimide, with cam and bluetooth.

If I was going to pick a phone that would be the one I would get.  

Thr very first ones had lots of problem ones within about the last year are ok though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mot V710.

Thr very first ones had lots of problem ones within about the last year are ok though.

I had a V710 before I got the 815. Pretty much the same phone. The V710 (when I had one at anyway) DID allow you to use MP3s as ringers by default. This was disabled on the 815, but it can be fixed. I thought that the V710 was completely replaced by the 815, but I could be wrong.

I got the phones for the Bluetooth capability, and am not disappointed by it. Bluetooth headsets rock.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had 3 LG phones and never had a proplem with any of them.  Every motorola I had was a complete POS besides the Star Tac like 6 years ago.  I made them replace my moto V720 5 or 6 times in as many months.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mot V710.

I had a V710 before I got the 815. Pretty much the same phone. The V710 (when I had one at anyway) DID allow you to use MP3s as ringers by default. This was disabled on the 815, but it can be fixed. I thought that the V710 was completely replaced by the 815, but I could be wrong.

I got the phones for the Bluetooth capability, and am not disappointed by it. Bluetooth headsets rock.

I got a cheapass Kyocera and I dont have bluetooth on it.  wish I did
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I'm going to cave in on the all digital phone thing and get hte motorola 815 and then hack it to remove the cripples verizon put into it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You will get two e-mail addresses for your phone if you get the unlimited text/pix plan.  You change the extension of an .MP3 (less than 200k) to .MID do not convert the file just change the extension and email it to the address of your pix. [yourcell#]@vzpix.com.  When it is on your phone you can set it to be your ringtone.

Can you do that if you don't get the unlimited text/pictures plan?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
free phone

if you are swiching carriers this is the way to go. but you have to wait 90 to 180 days to get all of your money.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you do that if you don't get the unlimited text/pictures plan?

I don't think so, that additional package allows you to do the e-mail.  I think there is a way to get the files on there but you will need some sort of software and an interface.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Let me start by saying that I work for Verizon Wireless not in sales but in corporate (full disclosure)  With that said I have the LG8100 and like it a lot.  My wife has had the LG 9800 for two weeks and I just had to have it replaced due to software issues.  Just so you know anolog is being phased out so if you are going to keep a phone fore three years you may want to go with a digital phone.  As far as deals go what you see on the website is what you are going to pay if you go to a Verizon Wireless store.  If you are a member of a union you may want to ask if they have a discount.  One thing you can do is go to a Verizon Wireless Authorized Retailer.  This would be a store that sells Verizon Wireless phones like you would see in a Mall kiosk.  They have more flexability with there prices and you may find a better deal on the price of the phone.  

Good luck.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top