Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:05:45 PM EDT
After my back surgery I'd like to get the hell out of here and move to a state that is free...

I work in finance as a software developer and would like to stay in the same line of work...

Any suggestions ?

eta: I'm 30 and single so I'd like a place where single ladies my age are pleantiful
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
"You're leaving?"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
come to Texas
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"You're leaving?"
images.usatoday.com/money/covers/photos/2002-01-16-schumer.jpg

LOL !!! That is some funny shit right there...

Yes Schmucky Schumer, I would really like to get out of here before you pass more laws that infringe upon my rights!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
come to Texas

I've been thinking about that... what cities are the best for a guy like me to live in? do the cities have restrictive gun laws or different from the suburbs...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hear Canada is nice?

no thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Virginia is great.  Lots of IT work around here.  Northern VA is very stong as is Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Come on down to the Gunshine State, Lots of wimenz and plenty of good weather and quite Pro Gun
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Free as can get down here in Virginia
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes Schmucky Schumer, I would really like to get out of here before you pass more laws that infringe upon my rights!

Unfortunately any gun control laws that Schumer passes will affect you in any state you move to.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Come to Florida. Very pro gun, No State income tax, Sunny, no snow to shovel, plus its full of new yorkers.
Check out Orlando and all of it suburbs, or Tampa and all of its suburbs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Stay away from Chicago...unless that is if you like fat chicks and opressive gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
come to Texas

I've been thinking about that... what cities are the best for a guy like me to live in? do the cities have restrictive gun laws or different from the suburbs...

From www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=TX

Texas QUICK REFERENCE CHART  Rifles and Shotguns           Handguns
Permit to Purchase                       No                                    No
Registration of Firearms                No                                    No
Licensing of Owners                      No                                    No
Permit to Carry                            No                                    Yes

A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, license or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearms supplies.

Too bad for me that the Marine Corps made me come up here from Ft Worth.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Houston is a great city.

C'mon down!

HH
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
After my back surgery I'd like to get the hell out of here and move to a state that is free...

I work in finance as a software developer and would like to stay in the same line of work...

Any suggestions ?

eta: I'm 30 and single so I'd like a place where single ladies my age are pleantiful

I picked Colorado.  Hopefully I'll be there within 2 months
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not New Hampshire or Vermont? Although I kinda think Vermont may be heading too liberal
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you work at an iBank or at a brokerage? Wall Street? If so, and you desire to stay in that sector, you probably should stay in NYC. Maybe some jobs in Chicago, LA or San Francisco, but those are not exactly bastions of liberty either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do you work at an iBank or at a brokerage? Wall Street? If so, and you desire to stay in that sector, you probably should stay in NYC. Maybe some jobs in Chicago, LA or San Francisco, but those are not exactly bastions of liberty either.

Eh, depends...I now work for one of the world's largest financial institutions, through years of working at my small little options trading firm..over the years we got bought by company X, then sold to company Y, and finally I find myself at company Z....

I was based out of around NYC, but when the opportunity came to move out to the tundra here to work in my division's main office in MPLS, I jumped on it faster than a martyr on a grenade.

Yep, I still slog on trading floors and get to yell at people in the tech sector, but I'm not in or near NYC anymore. Eventually I'll probably have to go back, but with the proliferation of electronic exchanges and such, other than having a presence on the physical exchanges...a company could be based anywhere these days, provided they have the provisioning for all the data lines needed.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why not New Hampshire or Vermont? Although I kinda think Vermont may be heading too liberal

It's really very nice here.  But you do have to like cold weather because it gets chilly here in the winter.  You can't have a loaded rifle in your car so I put together an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Any suggestions ?

Big +1 , I want outta this liberal high tax state . Just have to wait another year or so and I'm gone !!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately any gun control laws that Schumer passes will affect you in any state you move to.

problem is that we have a lot more like him at the local level. in the federal arena schumer is pretty much viewed as a jackass, but the liberals in New York adore him
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I' ve been working for hedgefunds for the last five years.... I work primarily in the back office with operations, accounting, and compliance groups.

My long term goal is to go to law school once my back is healed... but for now I'd like to do the same or similiar thing. That being said I'd like to move to a free state before I settle down... It would suck to meet someone up here and then decide to move. I love NY... but I hate the libs here... it is also getting so expensive... example: my uncle pays about 18,000 dollars in property tax each year. his mortgage has been paid off for 15 years...

I could never afford that
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I am leaving this year, too. Either Texas (for the freedom) or Indiana, where I have relatives.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
If I didnt have 3 little ones to raise, Id give alot of thought to Alaska, my bro in law lives in Anchorage and LOVES it, hes an electronic engineer and works the power plants, makes good money and class III is easy to come by !!!! I think it does get cold in winter though, but WHO CARES !!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If I didnt have 3 little ones to raise, Id give alot of thought to Alaska, my bro in law lives in Anchorage and LOVES it, hes an electronic engineer and works the power plants, makes good money and class III is easy to come by !!!! I think it does get cold in winter though, but WHO CARES !!!

Eskimo PIE
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"You're leaving?"
images.usatoday.com/money/covers/photos/2002-01-16-schumer.jpg

Virginia (well except for the top upper right hand part) is nice. Tennessee has a good climate (littel warm for me) and no state income tax, although I don't know that it is crawling with honies, there are good looking women there and (as anonymous someone pointed out to me in SC) "What's up with this place? The girls are thin and in good shape and the guys are fat lobs of goo!"

Stay the hell out of Tennessee, we are full.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Take me with you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Tennessee is a great state to live in, I recently moved back here from Florida as I wanted to give my daughter the same opportunity to grow up in a great place like I did. The people here are very friendly and southern hospitality is the norm in these parts. The state is definitely a free one, there are a lot of gun enthusiasts/hunters here, the gun laws are pretty lax, if you apply for a CCP you automatically qualify unless you have a felony on your record.

There's tons of things to do here, whether visiting one of the countries largest malls, going to festivals, or attending concerts at one of the local wineries, we have scores of Breweries and Pubs. Tennessee has a pretty unique culture too, few other places have as much to offer in the way of music, food, festivals, and cultural activities while remaining as down to earth as it is here. The real fun (IMO) is all of the recreational things there are to do in the outdoors, if TN is anything, it's a very outdoors oriented state. We have a bit of everything with handgliding, caving, white water rafting, canoing, horseback riding, camping, fishing, hunting, you name it.

The economical aspect of living here is pretty good as well. We have low taxes, no state income tax, the cost of living is low, and the pay is good, significantly better than Florida. There's a great job market here, in fact one month after moving here I had several great job offers right out of college and with limited experience in my field.  This area (Nashville) is known for the vast amount of medical and health care companies in this area, and there's no end to all of the IT jobs they supply, many of them would doubtlessly need finanical software developed.

Speaking of which... if you or anyone else here would be interested in a job in software development designing Internet and IPOS applications In PERL, my company is currently looking to fill a few positions. The pay and benefits are really good, the boss is great as are the people, and it's a great place to work.

Oh, and Aimless wasn't lying about the women.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#31]
North Louisiana is not too bad, money goes alot farther here.  We have no gun laws that are not federal.  However in your age range nearly all sain wemon available have kids.  Jobs arew not hard to find start the application process and let opportunity decide.  A nice 3bed house will run $90,000-150,000, nieghborhoods do not seem to intergrate so property value stays constant for the most part.  Avoid south Louisiana like a plague though.  Texas would be nice particularly on the edges of the Metroplexes like Mesquite is top Dallas-Fort Worth.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Any suggestions ?

Miami.

Next question?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any suggestions ?

Miami.

Next question?

How are the guns laws in Miami?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#34]
If you work in NYC, just move to PA. I commuted into the city for three years and it wasn't that big a deal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If you work in NYC, just move to PA. I commuted into the city for three years and it wasn't that big a deal.

PA may be the easiest option for you...

I feel PA may be the next state to fall to the scumsucking libtards...
Governor Ed Rendell (former Philly mayor)is a libtard antigun asshat...
That, and the eastern half of the state is filling up with liberal soccer mommies (my sister is one of them )...

WHATEVER you do..stay the hell out of NJ...

Spent six years in the Omaha area...
No CCW...but very gun freindly...

I wouldnt mind living their again...

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Come on down to the Gunshine State, Lots of wimenz and plenty of good weather and quite Pro Gun

LOL.

"Gunshine."

LOL.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Miami.

Next question?

How are the guns laws in Miami?

State premption, but in Miami they're written in Spanish.  I hope you speak Spanish if you move to Miami... everyone else there does.  

Stay north of the big lake and you'll be just fine.  Tampa/Orlando tend to be a little left-leaning, but the north part of the state rocks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#38]

ME, NH, and VT are pretty damned good as far as guns go, and you won't be all that far away from NY if you want to get back down to see friends/family for a weekend.

seriously though, write up a letter to all of your reps. doesn't matter what their political bent is, and tell them why it is that you are leaving. i did that when i left CT. though it probably won't change anyone's mind, it's nice to at least let them know their decisions have consequences (in the form of lost tax revenue), and that some of us actually DO care.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Connecticut
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#40]
" I want out of NY "

Me too, bro - me, too....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Personally, I'm taking a good look at Virginia...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

After my back surgery I'd like to get the hell out of here and move to a state that is free(R)...

Fixed it.  No such thing as a Free State anymore, just Free(R)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#43]
JBravo223-  I'm in the same boat as you.  I live in NJ and hate it.  Luckily i am 19 and have no obligations so i am free to move where ever the fuck i want.  Thats a good feeling.  I'm planning to move in the fall.  I've 90% i am going to move to GA.  There are several counties around Atlanta that have some of the highest average household incomes in the country.  Thats important to me.  I run my own construction company so i'd like to be around people that make some coin.

Good luck where ever you go.  All i know is it can't wait to leave.  Going to be the best 21st birthday a guy could have.  I think i'll go fill out my ccw permit on that day!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I WOULD WANT TO LEAVE NY TOO, THEY SAY TEXAS IS A GREAT PLACE
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Life long western NY resident here.  The real tragedy of NY is that square mile for square mile , it is one of the most beautiful states in the country.   Amazing how a few sqaure miles tucked in one tiny corner of the state calls all the shots.   Chuck Shummer once stated that he didn't give a damn about anything west of the Hudson River and still gets elected.  If you don't know about the geography of NY, the Hudson river is almost the eastern border of the state.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My long term goal is to go to law school once my back is healed... but for now I'd like to do the same or similiar thing. That being said I'd like to move to a free state before I settle down... It would suck to meet someone up here and then decide to move. I love NY... but I hate the libs here... it is also getting so expensive... example: my uncle pays about 18,000 dollars in property tax each year. his mortgage has been paid off for 15 years...

I could never afford that

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT go to law school.  There are many other fields that pay better where you are not despised by the masses.  Your plan to get the hell out of NY is a good one - I wish I had the foresight to do it 25 years ago.  I keep trying to get the family to consider getting the hell out of this commie state without much success.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Come to Florida. Very pro gun, No State income tax, Sunny, no snow to shovel, [b;ue]plus its full of new yorkers.

All of whom are ardent gungrabbers.....

I'd like to move somewhere west or south (my coworkers tell me I'm politically suited to AZ) but all the NE libs who have moved to AZ, NC SC, FL, and other places have pretty much screwed the pooch for the locals and for those of us trying to get away from Liberal LaLaLand. "Oh, no, not another Yankee movin' in...."
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Two words: no jobs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Life long western NY resident here.  The real tragedy of NY is that square mile for square mile , it is one of the most beautiful states in the country.   Amazing how a few sqaure miles tucked in one tiny corner of the state calls all the shots.   Chuck Shummer once stated that he didn't give a damn about anything west of the Hudson River and still gets elected.  If you don't know about the geography of NY, the Hudson river is almost the eastern border of the state.

Yep. Also, there should be no reason why you should be paying $16,000/year in taxes for a measly 3 acres.  Average home in the $450K range for a house the size of my garage.  Add on top of that miserable weather, congestion, and asshole people, I always ask one question to the younger gen. like myself (29).

Why are you still here?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ME, NH, and VT are pretty damned good as far as guns go, and you won't be all that far away from NY if you want to get back down to see friends/family for a weekend.

seriously though, write up a letter to all of your reps. doesn't matter what their political bent is, and tell them why it is that you are leaving. i did that when i left CT. though it probably won't change anyone's mind, it's nice to at least let them know their decisions have consequences (in the form of lost tax revenue), and that some of us actually DO care.

They'll consider drafting a letter to you, pleading with you not to go, until they read the part in your letter which says you are a gunowner. Then there will be high-fives all round in the office, and they will say, "YESSSS! It's working! Another one bites the dust- pretty soon there will be no more mouth-breathing, monobrow troglodyte gun nuts in our fair state! Good riddance!"

'Cos that's how most NE pols see us.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top