Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/2/2006 4:43:45 AM EDT
Anyone have any information on teaching overseas with Department of Defense schools? I recently applied with them for a position overseas. Probably Asia. Is it difficult to get hired on? I have a secure teaching job now but the thought of spending another 15 years to retirement without trying something different doesn't appeal to me but I also don't want to make a huge mistake that I'll regret.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:06:29 AM EDT
I think the issue is that as we reduce our footprint over seas we close schools. Back in the '70s & '80s there were schools all over Germany. Now only a few and I bet even less in the next few years. Some used to have web sites too so maybe you can look there for some information. Close friend who had kids in the DoD school system said it was better than average US schools and well funded. Teachers liked working and kids knew their military parents would get into a heep of shit if they caused problems. So I would say go for it if living over seas is what you want to do. I know you will make good money and spend school breaks traveling.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:06:58 AM EDT
Sorry can't help with getting aDOD job. I graduated from a DOD HS. The best teachers I ever had ...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:22:18 AM EDT
If you can get into a DoD school, I would jump on it and stick with it. Your biggest competitors are going to be prior DoDS teachers and teachers who stationed overseas with their husbands. The pay is not bad, it's a chance to live overseas when you want and you can look forward to a better pension than a state one (or so I'm told).
Top Top