BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
THEY'RE CALLED FIRECRACKERS.  GIVE EM A TRY.

You do realize that firecrackers are illegal in most state.  You're not advocating criminal activity to replace other criminal acts?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone read that story about the soldier home from Iraq who got drunk and decided to pop off some rounds in NEW YORK CITY?  Happened just a few days ago. The guy killed some poor woman standing in her window. 28 year old mother of two.  So tragic and so very stupid.

By COREY KILGANNON
Published: December 31, 2005

The Army private accused of killing a Queens woman with a stray bullet from a gun he fired into the air was arraigned yesterday on manslaughter and weapons charges.

WTF?

He doesn't even know for sure he shot her!  Where's the gun? ballistics?

I loved the "he a professional" part too!  With an illegally obtained gun.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry to dissappoint you bud but not everyone shooting on New Years Eve is shooting in the air.  I'm afraid you are assuming all gun owners are stupid.

- directed at me?  If so, read the inital post in the thread
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My neighborhood sounded like a small battlefield right before midnight and kept on going until about 20 minutes after midnight.  

I always worry about it but then again, nothing has ever happened.  Maybe they are somewhat smart and shoot into the ground rather into the air.  There aren't any Mexicans in my neighborhood either.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
We always shot into the ground for new years, never into the air.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#7]
My Mom had never seen a tracer before so I loaded 3 rounds in the the ole FAL carbine and fired them straight up so she could see them. It was too dry to fire across to the next mountain and they go out before they even start to drop. I am remote so no danger. A falling bullet won't kill anyone anyway. It might ding (small) your car but I don't think it would even hurt roofing shingles. No more damage than a 150gr pointy acorn falling off a tall tree.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Please put " Are Mexican"  in this poll.  

Or Indochinese.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The fact that the planet is rotating AND hurtling through space at many thousands of miles per hour ensures that the safest place to stand under a bullet fired straight up is in the shoes of the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The fact that the planet is rotating AND hurtling through space at many thousands of miles per hour ensures that the safest place to stand under a bullet fired straight up is in the shoes of the shooter.

My friend who is a traffic officer for the San Diego PD says he always parks under a bridge from 11:55 PM on New Year's Eve and July 4, until the sound of gunfire stops.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I live right on the edge of suburbia in Little Rock, AR.  I haven’t heard that much gunfire since I was last in the middle east, or on a Friday night in Richmond, VA!  When I lived in rural Texas I would joke about people firing their rifles on new years/4th of July, but I never expected to actually hear it.

The lots where I live are around 70’x140’.  So the clock struck midnight, the wife and I kiss, and we hear a string of 5-10 rifle shots in rapid succession in what sounds like our neighbors back yard.  About a minute later there are 5-10 more.  Damn it!  We get dressed, and I go into our front yard to see if I can determine where the fire is coming from before I call the cops.  I’m outside no more than a minute when my neighbor two doors down comes out.  I figure that he is curious about all the gunfire also.  Then I see something in his hands, and hear him pull the bolt back and let it fly forward  to chamber a round.  SH!T!  Then he points his rifle in the air and empties the mag.  I yell at him to, “Hey!  How about not doing that in your front yard!”  Then I go in and call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I dumped a mag last night. So did my neighbor. Not all of us live in the city, not all of us shoot in the air, and not all of us have restrictions on night firing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I live right on the edge of suburbia in Little Rock, AR.  I haven’t heard that much gunfire since I was last in the middle east, or on a Friday night in Richmond, VA!  When I lived in rural Texas I would joke about people firing their rifles on new years/4th of July, but I never expected to actually hear it.

The lots where I live are around 70’x140’.  So the clock struck midnight, the wife and I kiss, and we hear a string of 5-10 rifle shots in rapid succession in what sounds like our neighbors back yard.  About a minute later there are 5-10 more.  Damn it!  We get dressed, and I go into our front yard to see if I can determine where the fire is coming from before I call the cops.  I’m outside no more than a minute when my neighbor two doors down comes out.  I figure that he is curious about all the gunfire also.  Then I see something in his hands, and hear him pull the bolt back and let it fly forward  to chamber a round.  SH!T!  Then he points his rifle in the air and empties the mag.  I yell at him to, “Hey!  How about not doing that in your front yard!”  Then I go in and call the cops.

Id be pissed off. Did the cops ever get there ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.patfire.com/images/collage-firecracker.jpg

You do realize that firecrackers are illegal in most state.  You're not advocating criminal activity to replace other criminal acts?

What is your point?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Into the air, stupid beyond understanding. Into a berm = fireworks.

I strongly disagree.

A firearm is not a noisemaker or a toy.

I hate to sound like your grandma shaking her finger, but if you want fireworks, buy fireworks.

If you want noise, buy A blank pistol.

It's a bad frame of mind to get into, to do something like shooting in the dark.

Firearm safety should be an absolute unbreakable law.

Be a real shame to have an accident when you are doing some dizzy thing like making noise on new year's.

You going to claim no drinking was done prior to midnight?

Can you control the range conditions in the dark?

The whole idea stinks.

If you think I'm being a "stick in the mud", well, you probably shouldn't own any firearms until you grow up a little.

fired off a few rounds last nite.   all into the ground.  no drinking at all on new years eve here.  bust those commiting illegal or unsafe actions.  i don't really think my actions were - but i get the point of your posts concerning people shooting into the air and having no regard for where the round goes.  very unsafe.

Happy New Year!

*****Edited because i did not like the way it came across after i re-read it.  Apologies to Red65 and NCPatrolAR for crapping on their posts.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Into the air, stupid beyond understanding. Into a berm = fireworks.

I strongly disagree.

A firearm is not a noisemaker or a toy.

I hate to sound like your grandma shaking her finger, but if you want fireworks, buy fireworks.

If you want noise, buy A blank pistol.

It's a bad frame of mind to get into, to do something like shooting in the dark.

Firearm safety should be an absolute unbreakable law.

Be a real shame to have an accident when you are doing some dizzy thing like making noise on new year's.

You going to claim no drinking was done prior to midnight?

Can you control the range conditions in the dark?

The whole idea stinks.

If you think I'm being a "stick in the mud", well, you probably shouldn't own any firearms until you grow up a little.

fired off afew rounds last nite.   all into the ground.

assuming that all gun owners who fire at night on new years eve are irresponsible is like assuming all gun owners are problems and shoudn't be allowed to own guns.

commit a crime?  suffer the consequences.  just making noise?  no unsafe activity?  tough shit if you don't like it.

posting stuff like that on a gun site makes you smell of trollery - even with over 1000 posts.

i agree that fools do foolish things.  bust them if they commit criminal activity.  leave the rest of the citizenry alone.  

Happy New Year!

I swear, some guys try to justify virtually anything they do.

No drinkng was done prior to midnight?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I wanted to live in a third world shithole, I'd move there...

Wait.
Baltimore or Bagdhad?

Seriously, Baltimore has a huge problem with people shooting into the air, or at least they used to.

They STILL DO!!!!   I live in A. A. Co, and my wife wanted to go to the Inner Harbor the past few years. I said sure, let me get the K-Pot and LevelIIIA vests out and we will go. Screw that shit!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no problem with it, if it's done safely. The best way is with a shotgun loaded with 7-1/2 shot fired straight up. I don't do it, mostly because new years has no meaning to me, but I do go outside to listen because I love gunfire so much. I heard a little bit of rifle fire from down by the river, and I heard what sounded like two pistols ( a 9mm and a .22) being fired in the trailer park up the street.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Last year my neighbors and I bump fired into the berm out back at midnight. There was so much gunfire going off all over the area that it sounded like a war zone. Brought a smile to my face I tells ya. I guess once we get all those pesky guns banned you won't have to worry about it anymore.

+1
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Id be pissed off. Did the cops ever get there ?

The cops would be running around for a week to follow up on all the calls for illegal fireworks and gunfire in my area!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont care how "safe" it theoretically is...it is still a dumb idea...too many things could go wrong..
Once the bullet leaves the barrel, you can't take it back...

It's not 'theoretically' safe, it's a fact.  If a bullet less than .30cal is shot at 90 degrees its terminal velocity when falling back down is not enough to break the scalp.  The 'dumb' part is that (I'm guessing) 95%+ of the people trying to shoot straight up are in fact shooting at an angle and are drunk.    

your assume thats there going to be shooting every round at 90 degree's
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Nah, what goes up must come down. I'd hate to think someone took one of MY bullets in total negligence on my part just to ring in the new year.  I'm also not crazy about the notion about taking someone elses bullets striking me or my family just because some bozo wants to blast away in the air to ring in the new year. Light some damn firecrackers off instead, that's what they are for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I like Shooting tracers into the air.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#25]
tards (unless they are actually shooting at something besides sky)

hell, some idiots knocked power out to our house and half the block hitting a power line/transformer 3:20 in the morning shooting at each other
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Any way you slice it, it's just plain ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are shooting into a berm/ground/backstop there is no problem.

I fired off two mags.  You can bitch all you want, but I fired into a back stop, and its perfectly legal.  Yes I had been drinking.  Does that mean I was drunk?  No.

People need to mind their own business.  Yes if you see someone acting unsafe, then you can be mad, otherwise STFU, don't be a nanny, it smacks of being a libtard.

A bullet fired straight up will use all of its energy to get to its apex height.  Then it will fall back down.  Low and behold, the bullet will be accelerating all the way to the ground.  It will be accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 or gravity.

55g x 9.8m/s^2 x HIEGHT!  You people ignore the height factor.  F=mgh.  Force = Mass x Gravity x Height.

Say what, 750m??  I don't have a good idea what the altitude performance is and don't feel like calculating it.  We put the 55g bullet into kilograms b/c thats what the formula is calibrated for.

.055*9.8*750=404.25N

So 404.25 Newtons.  YMMV, sorry I didn't look anything up, so correct my physics IF you know WTF you're talking about

Thats a bit more than a 55g acorn!  6m heigh tree, that is .055x9.8x6=3.234 newtons!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#28]
As long as they are drunk and firing out the window of their car while driving I don't have a problem with it.

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A bullet fired straight up will use all of its energy to get to its apex height.  Then it will fall back down.  Low and behold, the bullet will be accelerating all the way to the ground.  

It will accelerate until it hits it's terminal velocity. Whether that be before it hits the ground or not, i do not know.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A bullet fired straight up will use all of its energy to get to its apex height.  Then it will fall back down.  Low and behold, the bullet will be accelerating all the way to the ground.  

It will accelerate until it hits it's terminal velocity. Whether that be before it hits the ground or not, i do not know.

So it will continue to accelerate to terminal velocity after it hits the ground?  

Woody
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it will continue to accelerate to terminal velocity after it hits the ground?  

Woody

Well if it stopped when it hit the ground, how woudl it make it to china?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I ain't got a problem with doing it where I live because I live practically out in the middle of nowhere and I'm surrounded by woods and fields (literally) on all sides. When my rounds finally come down all they'll do is dig themselves into the dirt somewhere.

You hope.

I don't get it.  Why do this foolish thing?  It's bad business all around.

As I have already stated, I'm literally surrounded by fields and woods in a full, 360 degree, circle around my home so when the rounds come down they'll do nothing more than hit a tree or dig themselves into the ground. This is one of the advantages of living out in a rural area. I would never do this is an urban or suburban area but, out in the country where I am now, I've gotta better chance of getting bit by a rattlesnake than I do of getting hit by falling bullets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#33]
"Are you sure it was Lopez on the machine gun mount?"

"Well, I heard screaming in spanish and bullets flying through the air, so either it was him or Mexican New Year."

Used to have a bunch of hispanics drive their truck into the field behind my neighborhood every New Year and Independence Day, get drunk, and shoot guns in the air until they heard police sirens and took off. They've been absent the last couple years, so either they moved away, went to prison, or killed themselves through gross stupidity.

Lucky none of them hit any cars, houses, or people.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
dumb

YOU may be safe but you rneighbors or friends may not be- hope you dont catch a stray round coming down or from wherever the other ass munchers are shooting from/to.

youd think we are in some third world country-  (ullating lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalabang,bang lalalalalaallala bang, bang,bang lalalalal)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I only shoot in the air when the black helicopters hover over my house.

that is nothing to joke about, i wouldnt even say shit like that on the internet
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#36]
People should use blanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I voted for tards. What is the point?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I voted for tards. What is the point?

I don't believe ANY behavior of individuals in a free society have to be justified as having a "point".  

If there is no danger to others, and you are not infringing on anyone else's rights, then it is nobody's business whether you fire a gun in the air, have anal sex with your wife, or worship the devil.

(Of course the assumption is that responsible people would fire guns straight up, so that bullets falling to the ground would do so harmlessly, at terminal velocity - as discussed above, and endelessly before on ar15.com)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What is the deal with people firing guns in the air on New Year's?  Dont these tards realize they are creating a hazardous situation for others?  

Oh well, atleast this year I'm not having to deal with them. hr

straight up is no problem, with terminal velocity of 120-150 feet second for most deer rifle bullets, and less for smaller stuff. problem is when your friend launches a 26.5mm red flare across the road in front of a car...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#40]
i give up
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top