Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:45:25 PM EDT
I finally watched the movie today (waited till I could watch it for free legally...borrowed the DVD from a friend). One thing I picked up on is Samuel Jackson's character, after trying to arrest Palpatine, then decides it is best to kill him, going totally against the Jedi teachings. Obi Wan, on the other hand, doesn't finish off Vader, even though no rule of law still applies. What gives? Does Lucas want to show the black man as a renegade, outside the law, who will kill whenever he gets the chance?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it was more anti-Bush then racist..
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted Samuel Jackson's character to go off Pulp Fiction style, complete with the Bad Mother Fucker lightsaber.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Samuel Jackson's only request was that Mace Windu not die like a bitch.

He died like a bitch.

Fuckin' George Lucas screwed Samuel Jackson over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it was more anti-Bush then racist..

Well, you noticed I watched this for free just today...I know Kanye said Bush doesn't like black ppl., but I'm thinking maybe Lucas doesn't like black ppl...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wanted Samuel Jackson's character to go off Pulp Fiction style, complete with the Bad Mother Fucker lightsaber.

But in Pulp Fiction his character became the voice of reason...he went against the rage...and all the press did was go after Tarantino for the n word. Lucas showed the black man in a much poorer light comparitively...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The only thing racist in the Star Wars series was all that ethnic stereotypes, especially that step and fetch Sambo talking Jar Jar Binks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
When Palpatine issued 'Order 66', and the troopers started killing the Jedi, there was widespread clapping in the theater. Who woulda thunk it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I thought Episode III gave robots a VERY bad rap.

General Grievious was simply trying to hang ten until his pension cleared - then SEE YA..... but no.... Obi Won just HAD to pick on the robot with the bronchitis.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Anakin killed Count Dooku, why shouldn't Mace off Sidious given he's a far greater evil?

Yeah, I know Anakin was urged on by Palpatine but the Jedi Code was violated in both instances (well, almost with Mace and Darth Sidious).

Watched the film a couple of times and can't see anything racist about it.  Painful, yes.  Seeing how bad an actor Hayden is when he's not being evil.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have ordered the killing of all those earwax (ewoks) - obnoxious fur balls that they are.   Do it for the galaxy.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When Palpatine issued 'Order 66', and the troopers started killing the Jedi, there was widespread clapping in the theater. Who woulda thunk it?

Sadism runs deep in American society...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
OK - geek hat on - Mace Windu practiced a rare technique called "vaapad". Basically this allowed him to be one of the most feared lightsaber artists, but by doing so he left himself open to the dark side. It sort of "barrows" ones aggression and turns it against his enemy. Only a powerful Jedi can do this and not later fall.

This is part of the reason why he was all sweaty and a bit more passionate that a Jedi should have been in the heat of battle.

The other reason is that Mace realized how dangerous Palpatine was - and killing him now was the smartest thing (before he could be rescued, etc).

He did have a lame death - but the character Mace Windu was, with perhaps the exception of Yoda, the baddest mother fucker in the galaxy.

to learn  more visit:
www.starwars.com/databank/character/macewindu/?id=eu
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anakin killed Count Dooku, why shouldn't Mace off Sidious given he's a far greater evil?

Yeah, I know Anakin was urged on by Palpatine but the Jedi Code was violated in both instances (well, almost with Mace and Darth Sidious).

Watched the film a couple of times and can't see anything racist about it.  Painful, yes.  Seeing how bad an actor Hayden is when he's not being evil.  

When Mace made the decision to kill him, there was still a legal system, a Republic, and the code. When Obi Wan left Vader to burn up, instead of beheading him, all that was left was the code...Since lucas equates dark as being evil, one would think he would probably not have a black jedi disregard his teachings so easily...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Jedi were so set in their ways . . . Ep 2 . . . 'If is not in the archives then it doesn't exist!'

If they had taken the time and gone to the expense of saving Anakins' mother . . . 90% of his anger would have been moot.

If they had not been culling the best of the Jedi candidates out of the gene pool for generations then maybe they would not have had problems finding strong candidates.

But I still have a hard time watching Anakin getting ready to kill the kids in Ep 3 . . . makes my trigger finger itchy real bad . . . even though I gave it to my son for Christmas I have to watch it with him to distract him when that scene comes up.  He might not even understand what happens, but . . . some things he just doesn't need to see yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But I still have a hard time watching Anakin getting ready to kill the kids in Ep 3 . . . makes my trigger finger itchy real bad . . . even though I gave it to my son for Christmas I have to watch it with him to distract him when that scene comes up.  He might not even understand what happens, but . . . some things he just doesn't need to see yet.

They're younglings, remember? Kind of sounds like a Nambla code word...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Star wars is not racist.  The character Palpatine was evil and in charge, you do not try a member of the government in a government court.  That is a recipe for disaster, Samuel Jackson's character knew this and was ready to take that action.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
the word "racist" is so overused by dishonest blacks and guilty whites for the last 30 years that I instantly think a person is a massive fuckhead the instant it comes out of his mouth.

basically what is racist is anything that goes against what a non-white person wants at a given time.

trip on the sidewalk? racist sidewalk.

get a bad deal from the used car salesman?  racism.

get voted out of office?  racism.

get sent to jail for killing someone?  racism.

and all the "good" white people cringe in terror like a bunch of sheep at the mention of the word.  

here we have a guy analyzing a nuance of the plot of some dopey movie to see if black people have been treated "fairly" or "racistly".  My answer to the question is:  "who gives a flying fuck?"  Please tell me that your post is an attempt at humor.

I have nothing but massive contempt for people who get sucked up into the vortex of this horseshit.

watch how many people call me a ....... wait for it ...... racist.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
When you gotta shoot, shoot, don't talk.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Star wars is not racist.  The character Palpatine was evil and in charge, you do not try a member of the government in a government court.  That is a recipe for disaster, Samuel Jackson's character knew this and was ready to take that action.

You better tell Iraq that...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I think folks read way too much into movies sometimes.

ETA, not saying I am innocent of it either
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

here we have a guy analyzing a nuance of the plot of some dopey movie to see if black people have been treated "fairly" or "racistly".  My answer to the question is:  "who gives a flying fuck?"  Please tell me that your post is an attempt at humor.

I have nothing but massive contempt for people who get sucked up into the vortex of this horseshit.

Was Birth of a Nation racist?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It isn't going to change my life either way, just an observation. I'm as pro free speech as about anyone could be, but at the same time anyone should be able to make an observation if they see some agenda. After the Jar Jar Binks backlash with Episode II, I was just personally surprised Lucas had the biggest role of a black man ever in one of his movies act that way...

...BTW...didn't Lando fuck over his friend Han?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

'nuff said.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

A big one....

Made the mistake last week  at work of wondering out loud how a lightsaber might function...

Ive been hearing about lightsabers now all week from the mal-adjusted part time guy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Made the mistake last week  at work of wondering out loud how a lightsaber might function...

Check this out...

electronics.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, it was.  now go cry a river.  over an 80 year old movie.  HA HA HA

don't you guys ever just get bored with trying to figure out who got mistreated and who didn't?

don't people ever just fucking get tired of obsessing over this shit?  it's boring and it's been harped on and harped on and harped on for 35 or 40 years.   fock!

this makes me think of those giant 10,000 word essays that intellectual college feminists write and hand out to each other.  deadly serious sensitive bullshit about "gender definitions in modern society, etc, blah blah blah".   why do they care?  what is the purpose?  who gives a fuck?

Branch out a little and join these feminists in their pathetic wimpering
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, it was.  now go cry a river.  over an 80 year old movie.  HA HA HA

don't you guys ever just get bored with trying to figure out who got mistreated and who didn't?

don't people ever just fucking get tired of obsessing over this shit?  it's boring and it's been harped on and harped on and harped on for 35 or 40 years.   fock!

this makes me think of those giant 10,000 word essays that intellectual college feminists write and hand out to each other.  deadly serious sensitive bullshit about "gender definitions in modern society, etc, blah blah blah".   why do they care?  what is the purpose?  who gives a fuck?

Branch out a little and join these feminists in their pathetic wimpering

I think someone needs to get in touch with their inner child...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sadism runs deep in American society...

Americans like to see people get blown away.

Clonetroopers, Stormtroopers, whatever are cool because they are anonymous behind the armor and people like the idea of killing with impunity. Not what Lucas intended I think.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#29]
"The Dark Side"

A coincidence?  I think not...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
"The Dark Side"

A coincidence?  I think not...

I love dark chocolate though...Hersey's special dark...I wonder what that says about me lol..
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Palpatine you see, represents the oppressive white man.  Mace although a better person, was never able to attain a higher station than what the deceitful oppressive white man allowed him to attain.  

When the beautiful wonderous and almost magical black man attempted to right the wrongs in the world, and to do those things he knew to be right, the white oppressor used his deceit and manipulated the glorious black mans wishy-washy whiney white underling to side with his own kind.

When that happened, the just black man, filled with integrity and honor, cried like a little girl and was flung into the abyss.  The wishy-washy whiney white underling put on a black suit and from that day forward, the color black was used to represent evil, thus wiping out the great good of the magnificent black Mace Windu, Jedi Master.

It's all about race.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Gimme a fucking break, what the "token black guy thing"?  Dont't look too deep into these things.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Am i wrong for agreeing with most of Palpatines reasoning.. i would support the empire...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#34]
sure with all those mixes of species and technologies, the galaxy needs to be ruled with an iron fist.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#35]
You sir, need to get a life!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You sir, need to get a life!

Interesting how you stayed away from black print...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Lucas is very racist against Rodeans.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't believe no one has posted this yet!

HOLDEN:  Bullshit!  Lando Calrissian was a black man, and he got to fly the Millennium Falcon!
HOOPER:  Who said that?!?
HOLDEN:  I did!  Lando Calrissian is a positive black role model in the realm of Science Fiction/Fantasy.
HOOPER:  Fuck Lando Calrissian!  Uncle Tom nigger!  Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy! Bust this - those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down - even in a galaxy far, far away.  Check this shit.  You got cracker farm-boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy - blond hair, blue eyes.  And then you've got Darth Vader: the blackest brother in the galaxy.  Nubian God.
BANKY:  What's a Nubian?
HOOPER:  Shut the fuck up!  Now Vader, he's a spiritual brother, with the force and all that shit.  Then this cracker Skywalker gets his hands on a light-saber, and the boy decides he's gonna run the fucking universe - gets a whole Klan of whites together, and they're gonna bust up Vader's hood the Death Star.  Now what the fuck do you call that!
BANKY:  Intergalactic Civil War!
HOOPER:  Gentrification.  They're gonna drive our the black element, to make the galaxy quote, unquote safe for white folks.  Jedi's the most insulting installment, because Vader's beautiful,          black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty white man!
They're trying to tell us that deep inside, we all want to be white!
BANKY:  Well isn't that true!
HOOPER:  BLACK RAGE! BLACK RAGE!!  I'LL KILL ANY WHITE FOLKS I LAY MY MOTHER FUCKIN' EYES ON!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I can't believe no one has posted this yet!

HOLDEN:  Bullshit!  Lando Calrissian was a black man, and he got to fly the Millennium Falcon!
HOOPER:  Who said that?!?
HOLDEN:  I did!  Lando Calrissian is a positive black role model in the realm of Science Fiction/Fantasy.
HOOPER:  Fuck Lando Calrissian!  Uncle Tom nigger!  Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy! Bust this - those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down - even in a galaxy far, far away.  Check this shit.  You got cracker farm-boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy - blond hair, blue eyes.  And then you've got Darth Vader: the blackest brother in the galaxy.  Nubian God.
BANKY:  What's a Nubian?
HOOPER:  Shut the fuck up!  Now Vader, he's a spiritual brother, with the force and all that shit.  Then this cracker Skywalker gets his hands on a light-saber, and the boy decides he's gonna run the fucking universe - gets a whole Klan of whites together, and they're gonna bust up Vader's hood the Death Star.  Now what the fuck do you call that!
BANKY:  Intergalactic Civil War!
HOOPER:  Gentrification.  They're gonna drive our the black element, to make the galaxy quote, unquote safe for white folks.  Jedi's the most insulting installment, because Vader's beautiful,          black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty white man!
They're trying to tell us that deep inside, we all want to be white!
BANKY:  Well isn't that true!
HOOPER:  BLACK RAGE! BLACK RAGE!!  I'LL KILL ANY WHITE FOLKS I LAY MY MOTHER FUCKIN' EYES ON!!!

i'm sorry, i have to
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top