Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 4:13:55 AM EDT
Having read many of the threads about Christmas presents, I have a question.

Until now, I always thought that when giving presents for someones birthday or Christmas, the norm would be to keep the actual item a secret,.
But many of the threads say that the receiver said what he wants, and the giver buys it.
That would save headaches about choosing gifts and guarantee that the gift is something that is wanted, but for me at least, takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Which method does HIVEMIND prefer

ETA: Got the poll in before the IBTP
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Other.

It depends.  Sometimes its a suprise, sometimes they know exactly what it is.  Or, you ask for a list of what the person wants, you get one or two things.  It is a suprise because they don't know when you get them, but it is somthing they asked for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hive Mind violation alert.  Paging SteyAug for reeducation/internment.

Personally, I prefer to be suprised even if the item is not quite right or the wrong size.  I picked out about half my presents this year in person and come christmas morn it really isn't quite as exciting.  Sure I got exactly what I wanted and very much appreciated it but the suprise is a big part of the present.

Doesn't help that I ask for blue jeans, white tshirts and champion socks every single year.  It's a great opportunity to stock up on the staples but man is it boring to unwrap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Hive mind is teh ghey.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hive mind is teh ghey.

You are part of the hive mind.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hive mind is teh ghey.

No,I'm a member of arfcom. Hive mind reminds me of a sewing circle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Both!  Get one or two items from the list of requests, and something else as a surprise.

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hive mind is teh ghey.

+1000  Seems like a bunch of people just learned a new word and can't stop using it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Request, I hate suprises.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Both!  Get one or two items from the list of requests, and something else as a surprise.

Sheesh...

+1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
My family works it like this.

The person recieving gives a big list of things he potentially wants.

The person giving can either choose from the list or not, but if they choose from the list they tell everybody BUT the recipient what they're getting so you don't double up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hive mind is teh ghey.

No,I'm a member of arfcom. Hive mind reminds me of a sewing circle.

CIRCLE JERK!!!! w00t!

And to answer the question get both!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top