Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:08:01 PM EDT
Exactly one week ago I picked this up from my dealer:

I've shot about 150 rounds through it and have since been trying to track down reasonably priced Uzi mags for cutting.  Colt mags cost too much and Uzi mags are getting more difficult to find and they still need to be cut.  Not huge issues but still inconveniences.

I'm tired of the darn thing already.  It's a great deal of fun to shoot but I'm just underwhelmed I guess.  I've been itching to get a 9mm AR for over a year now and I really feel stupid that I've already lost interest.

I'm already looking at a RRA Entry Tactical to replace this with.

My wife always says I have a problem about never being happy with anything and I'm seriously starting to think she's right.  

Thanks for reading,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree a 9mm AR would probably be just about the crappiest thing you could get.

I mean less power, same size and the PITA to get mags.  Wow that sucks, dump it fast!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
... Semi-auto only "subguns" are worthless, especially on a 16" barreled AR15 platform. Top it off, 9MM is a puny round by any man's standards. I'd too, sell it if I were you.

... Hey, it looks really nifty though
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the only thing that makes 9mm attractive is if it were FA.  Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think the only thing that makes 9mm attractive is if it were FA.

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a freedom arms model 97 revolver in .45colt/.45acp convertible, 5.5" barrel.

Never heard anyone bitch about owning one of those.

They do cost though....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a good friend tell me this a long time ago, and it took a while but it's sinking in.

"Learn to enjoy the guns you have, instead of the ones you don't"

Platitude, to be sure, but it's 100% on the money. Get into a shooting discipline, go to ARFcom shoots, treat each range session like you're accomplishing something. Try to get better. Learn to reload, do whatever it takes to misdirect your attention to having another gun and using the one you have until you stop worrying about what isn't in your collection.

Like anything, it can be an unhealthy obsession. Up to you how you live your life, but happiness is made, not bought.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
the 9mm AR does have one use:

get a SUPPRESSOR!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just get another top end and remove the mag block?  If or when you want to try 9MM again, just change parts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I never understood the sub-gun AR's myself.

For me it is like putting a four cylinder in a truck.

I want to get a Pistol AR 5.56mm, but my FFL talks me out of it all the time. Says wait for them to work the bugs out.
He has saved me a lot of money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a flame but you knew or should have known the mag situation when you bought the rifle. So why the bitch?      
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're really wanting a pistol-caliber carbine, look at the Kel-Tec Sub2000.

Accurate, reliable, cheap (about $300), and they'll accept pistol mags from Beretta, S&W, Sig, or Glock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you're really wanting a pistol-caliber carbine, look at the Kel-Tec Sub2000.

www.kel-tec.com/sub_203.jpg

Accurate, reliable, cheap (about $300), and they'll accept pistol mags from Beretta, S&W, Sig, or Glock.

I just got one of these in the .40 Glock last week, or is that Fotey? It is a kick in the pants. My nine-year-old loves to shoot it also with no adverse recoil effects... Fun, fun, fun
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
1911greg:  Exactly, my thinking was that the ammo was so much cheaper so I could therefore shoot much more.  Ugh, dumb reasoning I guess.  You can always make a rifle caliber shoot short but it's tough to make a sub-caliber shoot long.

Winston: Thank you for the compliment.  I've been picking up parts here and there and have gotten some awesome deals on the components.  Upside is at least they'd work on other ARs.

Nightstalker and Woblin: No FA in MN except C&R.  Too many damn liberals here.

K2QB3: No offense but that'd be even more worthless to me than this thing.  I'm sure they're very nice but not my bag baby.

swingset: This is my squad carbine and my department's budget doesn't allow for great training.  However I did attend one two-day pistol/patrol carbine class and I was pleasantly surprised how well I performed given no formal training.  The instructors would watch me, give me a thumbs-up now and then and basically left me alone to focus on students who needed attention.  I'm not saying I'm high-speed/low-drag but I can manage.

fossil: A suppressor would be the cat's ass but no suppressors in MN.  Wouldn't want me poaching critters y'know.

SS109: I'm beginning to realize that myself.

Bigbore: Yeah, I knew.  I guess that's all I can say about that.  You're right.  

Stasher: Good Lord, no.  At least with a 9mm AR the manual of arms is the same, with the Kel-Tec, well....just no.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I just need to grow up a little.
Scott
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Get some of the promag 9mm mags the bolt hold back works if your magblock has it.

These appear to be the same as the one Bushmaster are using.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top