Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 6:49:19 AM EDT
Yesterday I get ready to cruise/GPS a tract of timber.  I turn on my PDA and GPS.  I execute the program on the PDA and this program turns on and then shuts itself down.  I try again and the executable program is gone and the files under that program directory have fluctuating file sizes.  I reboot, doesn't help.  I come home delete and reinstall, same thing.  I call the software vendor and he has the same thing happen to him, but on 3 different PD's.  

I don't really know what is going on, almost like a software time bomb or something.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Must be the Y2K bug.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
PDA O' Truth!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Must be the Y2K bug.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Its a virus...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Must be the Y2K bug.  

Seriously, everything worked well on Friday, this is more like the Christmas bug or something.  This couldn't happen at a worse time either, Corvallis is shut down for vacation this week and I have one tract of timber that needs to be cruised by Friday and another tract that I need to use the GPS on in order to find the boundary lines.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Its a virus...

That is what I think but why does it affect only that one program and how did it find its way onto several PDA's?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Time to crack out the old map and compass
Are you a consulting forester or a buyer for a mill?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Was a consultant, went to the darkside and now I am a buyer.

The other problem is that I will have to work up cruises by hand
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have always done cruises by hand.  I never trusted my field computers.
Is your company looking for a buyer in upstate NY by any chance?  Maybe a remote log yard?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]
The government is using your GPS device as an interface for their GPS satellites to hack into your PDA and steal your software. I say lock up your dog and line all the exterior walls inside your house with sandbags.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is your company looking for a buyer in upstate NY by any chance?  Maybe a remote log yard?

As in log buyer?  No, not cost effective.

As for the field computer, it increases my productivity by 30% and I can give numbers to landowners on site.  I go around GPS the tract, I then can generate my cruise grid, setup cruise specs and use realtime GPS to guide me to the plots, end of the day I have the cruise numbers needed to negotiate a price to landowners.   Being able to use color IR photo's to see were you are and being able to use GIS in the field is a major ++ as well.

It is basicly GPS/GIS and timber inventory software all rolled into one.  Once you start using it, you will never want to go back to the old way.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As in log buyer?  No, not cost effective.

As for the field computer, it increases my productivity by 30% and I can give numbers to landowners on site.  I go around GPS the tract, I then can generate my cruise grid, setup cruise specs and use realtime GPS to guide me to the plots, end of the day I have the cruise numbers needed to negotiate a price to landowners.   Being able to use color IR photo's to see were you are and being able to use GIS in the field is a major ++ as well.

It is basicly GPS/GIS and timber inventory software all rolled into one.  Once you start using it, you will never want to go back to the old way.

gis is the shiznit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top