Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 11:09:51 AM EDT
*Edited due to my terrible reading comprehension - Originally said Revolvers in the title when the article just mentions S&W "Pistols"

Board OKs pistol plans
12/27/2005

Sheriff's department seeks new guns
The Madison County Sheriff's Department will go out for bids soon to replace 97 Smith & Wesson service pistols, some of which officials say have misfired in recent training sessions.

The Madison County Board on Wednesday authorized the sheriff's department to spend $36,783 to replace its Smith & Wesson pistols with Glocks. Sheriff's Capt. Eric Decker has said that a few misfirings have happened recently at firing ranges during training exercises but that none have occurred on the street. The department plans to trade in the Smith & Wessons for what it says are the safer, more reliable Glocks.

http://www.goedwardsville.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15823076&BRD=2291&PAG=461&dept_id=473648&rfi=6

*Edited due to my terrible reading comprehension - Originally said Revolvers in the title when the article just mentions S&W "Pistols"
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
And they think they'll have fewer accidents with a Glock!?

Oh boy . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Pistols? Revolvers? What exactly are they talking about replacing? And unless you have fired a revolver so many times you have destroyed the hammer spring, or you are using bad ammo, how do you get misfires?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how do you get misfires?

Mis-timed cylinder?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pistols? Revolvers? What exactly are they talking about replacing? And unless you have fired a revolver so many times you have destroyed the hammer spring, or you are using bad ammo, how do you get misfires?

Uh oh,  my bad I don't know where they hell I got revolver from, thanks for pointing that out. I'll change the title.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll be happy to help out their "safety" by taking those awful S&Ws off their hands!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how do you get misfires?

Mis-timed cylinder?

That would have to be REALLY mis-timed to cause a misfire.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Stretched frame/yoke increasing the distance between the case head and the firing pin/hammer.

Mistimed cylender.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
how do you get misfires?

Mis-timed cylinder?

That would have to be REALLY mis-timed to cause a misfire.  MJD

Like blow-off-part-of-the-frame mis-timed?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stretched frame/yoke increasing the distance between the case head and the firing pin/hammer.

Mistimed cylender.

That would only come after considerable use, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
OH, yeah it doesn't say revolvers...  Probably tired old first or second generation S&W semi autos...

I'd still be happy to take them off their hands!  How much you wanna bet these misfires are chiefly the result of failure to follow the basic rules of gun handling, such as not touching the trigger until ready to fire, etc???

If not, I know an excellent pistolsmith that could overhaul them!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Safer???!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mistimed cylender.

Maybe but highly unlikely. You don't really believe they actually have those problems with S&w revolvers do you...

This sounds like a made up excuse to buy new pistols.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And they think they'll have fewer accidents with a Glock!?

Oh boy . . .

CMOS

Ummmmmm? I failed to read anything about accidents... they did mention miss-fires? I know it pisses you off when people buy Glocks but it's too difficult to persuade you with reason so I wont.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top