Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 4:17:30 PM EDT
I'm going to format my dad's hard drive and install a new full copy of Windows XP home.  I've done this many times on my own computer and generally just back up my photos, music, videos, and documents to CD.   He is concerned about keeping all of his e-mails (hundreds...in Outlook Express) as well.  I've looked and looked and can't figure out where they are stored so I can back them up.

Can anyone tell me where they are stored?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
This is for Outlook (not Express) but you migt be able to figure out Express from this:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=420400&page=1&#-1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
C:\Documents and Settings\*USER*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\**ANYTHING**\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

You can save the files in this folder and put them back in the new location, it will put the mail back..  I have done this a few times     To find this you also need to go into folder options and select to view hidden files and folders
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
C:\Documents and Settings\*USER*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\**ANYTHING**\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

You can save the files in this folder and put them back in the new location, it will put the mail back..  I have done this a few times     To find this you also need to go into folder options and select to view hidden files and folders

Got it!!

I never would have found that on my own.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

While you're at it; back up the entire C:\Documents and Settings\*USER* directory. There is more in there than just emails.  His "my documents" folder is also in there along with favorites (bookmarks) and cookies.  Be sure to delete all of the temp internet files if space is an issue.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also export your mail into a .pst file for backup purposes from Outlook.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You may find this helpful..>
www.dougknox.com/
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Delete please.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
make a slipstream SP2 cd and install with that
www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
it'll save a lot of downloading and rebooting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top