Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Currently ejecting from a so-so sales career and am totally happy with my new choice, nursing.  My current plan is to work as an EMT until nursing school starts, and then ace the f@#k outta that school.  Then, do whatever job will get me into a loan forgiveness program so I can wipe out the debt, do a year working EMS, a year in the emergency room, and then go back for my masters and finally open my own clinic.  I'm doing better in the science and biology classes than I ever did.  This really suits me, I am really pumped about my new career.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
No space shuttle door gunners?

I am a Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy.  Sonar Technician.  Seventeen years

I dont know what I am going to do when I get out.  I keep telling the wife I will do something easy like water the plants at Home Depot.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Senior HVAC Designer...I'd like to get far, far away from the pressure to meet ridiculous deadlines and unrealistic budgets and get a job in my local gun shop.

Tragically, that's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Currently I am in outside sales for a National co.
The money is good even by NYC and NJ standards but the hours can be long and the company seems to have their collective heads up their asses.

WTH is it with these super sized companies, they could fuck up a wet dream.

I am seriously thinking of opening up my own rustic and log furniture shop.
I have taken some baby steps in that direction and according to some people with smarts log and rustic furniture is in it's beginning stages of a boom.
Sort of like Mexican restaurants in the 80's.

If I could make half as much as I am now working in wood I would be happy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Current career: Corporate Financial Analyst.

To be honest, I have been feeling very restelss lately, and have the urge to make a big change.  I am not sure what that is yet, but the military has crossed my mind for taking a three year break from my career.  It would take an age exemption though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Self Employed Video Producer/Editor, otherwise known as a Preditor!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

... composite mold maker

Dave

... Are you looking to move to AZ perchance?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
i own an Orthopedic supply co , we design rehab equip, build orthotics and prosthetics,supply  and build custom knee bracing etc. Would like to go to school to be a certified prosthetist instead of having one on the payroll, sorry to say business has picked up since the war.

actually id like to run a fishing charter on the gulf coast of FL
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
8.5 years Army,1985-1993 (Infantry first then Helo/Fixed wing pilot), 12 years Law Enforcement (City Cop, County Cop, State Trooper), SWAT Operator for 5 years, Field Training officer, General Instructor, Firearms Instructor, and Primary CQB Instructor.

Been wearing a uniform almost my entire adult life (except college).  Never made alot of money, but I provide a decent life for my family and when I lay down to sleep I never wonder if I have made a difference.

If I hade it to do over, I would have stayed Infantry and out of Aviation.  When Special Forces became a branch, I tried to branch transfer, but couldn't get Aviation branch to release me.  If that would have worked out, I would have stayed for 20 in the miitary.

You have the life I want, almost to a T.  Wow.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I haul cars for a livin ....I like it .........................If I had it to do over again ,I would be some form of LEO .......my .02

BTW- I still think you should try Pimpin....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a drug and alcohol therapist for "at risk" (Read as : Drug addicts) teenagers who have been court-ordered into treatment at residential facilities.  I suppose its like being half psychologist, half caseworker in a minimal-as-you-can-imagine (The doors don't even lock) teen jail.  Some of them wan't help, some of them don't.

I'd consider being a police officer, and i've considered joining the military.   Seems like I'd be wasting the Master's though.

Maybe if i could be a police officer who counsels other police officers after on-the-job shootings or work-related injuries...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm currently a mechanic, but would consider a position underneath a Victoria's Secret model.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love my job, but its not a career.

If I had a life do-over, I'd get into law.

I got into law.  If I had it to do over, I'd do just about anything else.  Preferably firefighter or park ranger or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#14]
shooting instructor/ coach.    Best job in the world...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Worked my way up through a company over the past 6 years to achieve the leadership role of an $8 million dollar a year company, that was part of a $160 million a year company. I was geared more towards the operations end of the business with some financial oversight. We were recently purchased by a multi-billion dollar company that I did not really want to work for.
Left and went to a smaller local guy to do some operations work along with some sales. The pay is good and this year I will make double what I did 6 years ago when I started my climb. Lower pay than what I could have eaned with the larger company but no big deal.
However ,climbing the career ladder has allowed me to miss things like my kids ball games, birthdays, and a few other everyday events that I will never get back. At 38 years old I feel that I would rather find a job that pays decent wages and allows me to live life again. If I take a $10k-15k a year cut in pay, then so be it as long as I can see my kids grow up and actualy find time to go shooting and fishing again. A career is not everything in your life.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I currently work as a network administrator, but I will be going into the Air Force in Februaury to be a navigator.

John
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Airline pilot.  Great job, fucked up career these days.

Don't know what else I'd want to do than this for a career, though...  Wouldn't mind being a shooting instructor or otherwise work in the firearms industry, but I have no qualifications for that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cat inspector/fixer.

Wow!!!!!!!! Me Too!!!

Different cat though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thinking I might want to start a new career. Not sure what yet... Thought maybe hearing what you guys do or might like to do would give me some ideas... So get started.

Things I've done and some points to consider if you want to try it:

Burger King Cook:
Pros:  If you can eat fast before anyone sees you, you can have lots of free food
Cons:  Pay sucks, you come home with pants full of grease

NASA Engineer:
Pros:  Low stress (you're a federal employee), cool sounding job, taking your dates to the mockup facility will win you big points.
Cons:  Staring at a computer screen most of the day, little interaction with people

NASA Research Scientist:
Pros:  Low stress (you're a federal employee), cool sounding job, cool toys to play with, taking your dates to the mockup facility will win you big points, if there's nobody else at the lab, you can lay down the bubble wrap and take a nap
Cons: Pay is not as good as you would think, not too much room for advancement depending on which group you work with.

Options Trader:
Pros:  Once made $100K in one day
Cons: Once lost $100K in one day

Homeless Vagabond:
Pros:  Get to travel around and see the world with all the time in the world
Cons: You got no income!  That means you live out of your car, and subsist off of peanut butter.

Management Consultant:
Pros:  You live in ritzy hotels, everything is expensed so you can eat steak everynight, free flights so every weekend is a vacation, good money
Cons: Very political, you are working balls to the wall, 6am - midnight, some days more, some days less.

Photographer (current):
Pros: People pay you to travel around the world, take photos, hang out with models, and have fun.
Cons: Hard to get established, no steady income or benefits.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Prototype Machinist/Toolmaker 25 years plus. (Aerospace/Defense)

Would like to use machining skills to work on M1911's in the future.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm a drug and alcohol therapist for "at risk" (Read as : Drug addicts) teenagers who have been court-ordered into treatment at residential facilities.  I suppose its like being half psychologist, half caseworker in a minimal-as-you-can-imagine (The doors don't even lock) teen jail.  Some of them wan't help, some of them don't.

I'd consider being a police officer, and i've considered joining the military.   Seems like I'd be wasting the Master's though.

Maybe if i could be a police officer who counsels other police officers after on-the-job shootings or work-related injuries...

Check your local LEO departments.  We have a guy who is a reserve officer (patrols 10 hours a month for $75 bucks and a badge and gun) and does all the psych evals and post incident counseling.  You may be able to do some exciting part-time work, and keep your current job.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Between jobs. I was a master of the custodial arts in the Navy so if my supposed training as a mechanic or any federal agency does not work, then I will summon the power of the broom again .

It pisses me off when I see people that say "I should have stayed or I should have been a ____". It is all in the past. Instead of whyning wishing on the past  just make some time to make a career change, accomodate or just keep on with your life. Be happy for what you got.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a CPA specializing in international taxation of large corporations.  I stare out the window a lot.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Network Engineer

Part owner of a local ISP.

I dont have any plans on another career, as long as the large paychecks from this position keep rolling in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm an armoured car guard / driver. It's a really easy job, for fair pay. When the public (usually drugged up weirdos in the middle of the night) gets too close, you just put your hand on your gun and tell them to get lost. The only idiotic losers I actually have to deal with are some of my coworkers and most of our management. hinking.gif

If (when) I go back to school, I'd like to learn to be a machinist, and run a CNC mill. I'd apply some of that skill to making and servicing guns, although I'd probably also have to get a different, more profitable job that would make use of it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Currently a police officer assigned to K-9.  I love my job, but I always wanted to be a chef. I like watching the food network. I would like to create something everyone would enjoy. Maybe own my own place and become rock star famous.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#27]
plumber
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Wrench spinner/welding rod burner here.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I am the PO-lice.

Currently a patrol division Sgt, keeping an eye on the nightwatch goons and Tactical Team Leader (SWAT).

I love everyday of it.  I have worked as a UC, autotheft TF, K9 and gang unit.

On the side, I write books, articles for professional journals, consult on the odd movie/T.V. show, provide expert tesitimony regarding the use of force...and in my spare time, I teach some "tactical" stuff.

Also teach at the local community college.

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Be sure to get into a recession proof prisons or LE work.

If your young and physically fit being a firefighter is a great job.  Only work 8-10 days a month.  Lots of OT on call outs.

I cannot afford to live in the city i police but the firefighters in that city all live in $750,000.00 plus houses.  usually with a 40K truck and trophy wife driving a mercedes.  Those wildfires mean big paychecks for those guys.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I create LIFE!
Should have been a gameshow host.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top