Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/23/2005 8:48:22 AM EDT
The Wall Street Journal
December 23, 2005; Page A14

A Disgrace
Editorial

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113530880559630290.html

Public opinion in Germany has recently been agitated by reports of secret CIA prisons in Europe, which follows indignation about Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. "Torture State America" is how Michael Naumann of the influential weekly newspaper Die Zeit sums up life in the U.S. these days. So it's all the more strange that, when it comes to a torturer in their own midst, Germans have adopted a forgiving attitude.

The torturer in question is Mohammad Ali Hamadi, who last Friday was released from a German prison after serving not quite 19 years of a life sentence. In 1985, Hamadi was among the Hezbollah hijackers who seized TWA Flight 847, held its passengers hostage for 16 days, and murdered 23-year-old U.S. Navy diver Robert Dean Stethem.

But the word "murder" doesn't adequately describe what Hamadi and his crew did to Stethem. "They singled him out because he was American and a soldier," said one eyewitness. "They dragged him out of his seat, tied his hands and then beat him up. . . . They kicked him in the face and knee caps and kept kicking him until they had broken all his ribs. Then they tried to knock him out with the butt of a pistol -- they kept hitting him over the head but he was very strong and they couldn't knock him out. . . . Later, they dragged him away and I believe shot him."

In 1987, Hamadi was detained at Frankfurt airport when customs officials found liquid explosives in his luggage. A U.S. extradition request was denied on grounds that he was liable for the death penalty. Instead, Germany meted out its toughest sentence: Life in prison. But as one German official acknowledged to us, there is no such thing as life imprisonment in Germany. The country's Constitutional Court requires prison officers to review life cases after 15 years and seek reasons for early release, including good behavior and expressions of remorse. Whether Hamadi has expressed remorse the official could not say.

Today there is a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer named for Robbie Stethem. We salute the sailors who put their lives at risk for our liberties. As for our ally Germany, we trust that in the war on terror it has kept a clean conscience.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:56:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:59:32 AM EDT

Today there is a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer named for Robbie Stethem.

On the one hand, that's pretty cool. On the other, if we start naming ships after every sailor who dies, we're going to need alot of new ships.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:16:40 AM EDT
THE NEW YORK POST
December 26, 2005

GERMANY'S APPEASEMENT
Editorial

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/editorial/59466.htm

One of the most enduring images from the early days of the Islamist terrorism scourge is the haunting, now 20-year-old photograph of airline Capt. John Testrake, a gun held to his head by a Hezbollah hijacker, who had clamped his hand over the pilot's mouth.

Testrake was the captain of TWA Flight 847, which was hijacked out of Athens in 1985, its crew and passengers held hostage for 17 days — most of that time on the tarmac at Beirut's airport.

All except one passenger, that is.

Robert Dean Stethem, a U.S. Navy diver from Maryland, was brutally beaten and shot to death on the second day of the ordeal — apparently singled out after the terrorists found his military ID card. His body was dumped unceremoniously on the tarmac.

One of the hijackers, Mohammed Ali Hamadi, was sentenced to life imprisonment in Germany for air piracy, possession of explosives — and the murder of Stethem. (When Hamadi's captive complained about his bonds, said witnesses, he replied: "Let the pig suffer.")

But, as of last Thursday, Mohammed Ali Hamadi is a free man. Not only that, he was put on a plane by German authorities for his native Lebanon — where, presumably, he will rejoin his terrorist colleagues.

This despite the fact that Hamadi remains under indictment in this country for Stethem's murder — and Washington from the outset had been pressing Germany for his extradition.

Instead, Hamadi was set free after what officials described as a "routine" parole hearing; under German law, he was eligible to be freed after serving at least 15 years.

Of course, there was one other possible factor in Hamadi's release — one that is far from "routine": It came just three days before a German archaeologist taken hostage by terrorists in Iraq was set free.

Predictably, officials in Berlin insisted there was "no connection between these two cases." But we have no doubt that a large grain of salt is called for.

As for Stethem's family, they're understandably stunned at this turn of events. "It just doesn't make sense," said his still-grieving mother.

Actually, it does — when you take into account much of Europe's continuing, cowardly refusal to stand up to the terrorist threat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:51:53 AM EDT
I have a solution.

Just contract with the Israelis and they will hunt him down and kill him.

"Some people just need killing."
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:05:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
I have a solution.

While I agree, I disagree, we should take care of our own, THEY, spilled American blodd, Americans should avenge this injustice and spill theirs! But, you are right, America doesn't seem to have the stomach to do what needs done, so contract the Israelis, they don't mind!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:47:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FRIZ:
Public opinion in Germany has recently been agitated by reports of secret CIA prisons in Europe, which follows indignation about Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. "Torture State America" is how Michael Naumann of the influential weekly newspaper Die Zeit sums up life in the U.S. these days.

German Prisons:

Bergen-Belsen:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dachau Low-Temperature
Medical Experiments

Report by SS-Untersturmführer Rascher about intense cooling experiments in Dachau concentration camps, September 10, 1942:

The experimental subjects were placed in the water, dressed in complete flying uniform, winter or summer combination, and with an aviator's helmet. A life jacket made out of rubber kapok was to prevent submerging. The experiments were carried out at water temperatures varying from from 2.5 to 12 Centigrade. In one experimental series, the occiput (brain stem) protruded above the water, while in another series of experiments the occiput (brain stem) and back of the head were submerged in water.

Electrical measurements gave low temperature readings of 26.4 in the stomach and 26.5 in the rectum. Fatalities occurred only when the brain stem and the back of the head were also chilled. Autopsies of of such fatal cases always revealed large amounts of free blood, up to one-half litter, in the cranial cavity." (TWC, 220)

Work Cited

TWC. Trials of War Criminals Before the Nurenberg Military Tribunals - Washington, U.S Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1953, Vol. I

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dachau High Altitude Medical Experiments
Brandt to Sievers, March 1942

Rascher to Himmler, April 1942

Letter from SS-Untersturmführer Rascher to Reichführer-SS Himmler, 5 April 1942:

"Highly esteemed Reich Leader:

"Enclosed is an interim report on the low-pressure experiments so far conducted in the concentration camp of Dachau...

"Only continuous experiments at altitudes higher than 10.5 Km resulted in death. These experiments showed that breathing stopped after about 30 minutes, while in two cases the electrocardiographically charted action of the heart continued for another 20 minutes.

"The third experiment of this type took such an extraordinary course that I called an SS physician of the camp as a witness, since I had worked on these experiments all by myself. It was a continuous experiment without oxygen at a height of 12 Km. conducted on a 37-year old Jew in good general condition. Breathing continued up to 30 minutes. After 4 minutes the experimental subject began to perspire and to wiggle his head, after 5 minutes cramps occurred, between 6 and 10 minutes breathing increased in speed and the experimental subject became unconscious; from 11 to 30 minutes breathing slowed down to three breaths per minute, finally stopping altogether.

"Severest cyanosis developed in between and foam appeared at the mouth...

"Autopsy report

"One hour later after breathing had stopped, the spinal marrow was completely severed and the brain was removed. Thereupon the action of the auricle stopped for 40 seconds. In then renewed its action, coming to a complete standstill 8 minutes later. A heavy subarchnoid oedema was found in the brain. In the veins and arteries of the brain a considerable quantity of air was discovered." (ToWC, Vol. I, p. 144)

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:38:53 AM EDT
I have German blood but glad to be a 6th gen American. German = French
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:44:12 AM EDT
I went to Dachau in 79.

I'll never visit another camp.

Ever.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:44:40 AM EDT

THAT is one of the undeniable truths of the Universe!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:46:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clippen:
I have German blood but glad to be a 6th gen American. German = French

German/Scottish here. Quite a combination. My Great grandparents spoke mostly German. They came from Luxumberg/germany area in mid/late 1800's so I know THEY are not to blame for went happened over there during WWl, WWll.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:46:44 AM EDT
And the idea that the German people are "pissy" about it............well, when the German people apologize to the WORLD........then I'll listen to their complaints!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:48:23 AM EDT

I have a solution.

Amen, brother.

Or maybe we could just grow a pair and send some SEALs to do the job. I'm sure we could find a bunch who would love to avenge an old shipmate. Maybe we could mount the tango's head on the bulllnose of STETHAM just for the hell of it!
Top Top