Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets see,

Manual Transmission lower maintenance costs, more power, better gas mileage, and cheaper overall.

Auto Eh what can you say.

True, but VASTLY fewer options.  How many cars or truck can you even get with a stick anymore?  Damn few.  If a stick shift is one of your necessities, you are really limiting your choices.  I know, because I looked for about 2 months.  I found exactly one new production vehicle I liked with a manual transmission.  I found lots I would have liked if they had been available with a third pedal...

To me, not having a manual tranny is an absolute deal buster.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always been a stick man. Having said that, AUTOMATICS are getting so good these days that I'm ready to give up sticks. These new auto-stick style transmissions are a blast when driving in the mountains. They give up nothing. Many are 5, 6 or 7 speeds too.

If you have lots of congested stop and crawl traffic, pass on the stick. If you're buying a sports car for sunday drives, get a stick. Nowdays, autos are very responsive to the kickdown and most shift at the horsepower peaks. With enough power, auto's do just as well at drag racing too.

Take a test drive in an automatic version of what you want and see if it responds the way you want.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Manual transmissions, in general, are more fun to drive(if you don't live in a large metropolitan city).  Automatics are nearly as efficient as manual transmissions.

That said, be aware that some brands have automatic transmissions that are high maintenance.  Chrysler has had more than a few problems with their minivan and Durango slushboxes.  GM autos fail when pulling loads if a transmission cooler isn't added.

As for me, if the vehicle is a fun car (Miata, Civic SI, 'Vette, GTO or Mustang, I'd go manual.  If it's a "grocery getter", then I'd get an automatic but it wouldn't be one with a bad rep!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A slight twist. I've never owned a manual, and I just realized that I wouln't be able to shift while getting serviced. I guess automatic wins by default.

Oh yeah, the car is one of those economy coupes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets see,

Manual Transmission lower maintenance costs, more power, better gas mileage, and cheaper overall.

True, but VASTLY fewer options.  How many cars or truck can you even get with a stick anymore?  Damn few.  If a stick shift is one of your necessities, you are really limiting your choices.  I know, because I looked for about 2 months.  I found exactly one new production vehicle I liked with a manual transmission.  I found lots I would have liked if they had been available with a third pedal...

More power to ya.  I was really disappointed in the selection.  My whole life I dreamed about having a new/newer car.  Now There's only a handful I want.  There is not one car/truck made by Ford, GM, or Chrysler that I like available with a manual transmission.  I just think that's sad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've always been a stick man. Having said that, AUTOMATICS are getting so good these days that I'm ready to give up sticks. These new auto-stick style transmissions are a blast when driving in the mountains. They give up nothing. Many are 5, 6 or 7 speeds too.

If you have lots of congested stop and crawl traffic, pass on the stick. If you're buying a sports car for sunday drives, get a stick. Nowdays, autos are very responsive to the kickdown and most shift at the horsepower peaks. With enough power, auto's do just as well at drag racing too.

Take a test drive in an automatic version of what you want and see if it responds the way you want.

M4-AK

1.  Name some cars that have 6 or 7 speed "auto sticks".
2.  No clutch still means it's an auto
3.  Still gonna break like an auto
4.  The way autos kickdown is nowhere near like a manual where you bring up the revs before dropping the clutch so there is no lurch.
5.  I will tell it where to shift, period.
6.  That auto stick is going to overhead while you are "having fun in the mountains".
7.  Tried 'em, no thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only an idiot would have a stick in Chicago's stop and go traffic.

I guess I'm an idiot.

I hate automatics and would never own another one.

I can drive with one foot anyway.  Clutch, put it in 1st, let the clutch out and start moving, then press gas and move.  Shifting can be the same way or without the clutch, your choice.

Automatics suck.  Why have only 4 forward gears when you can have 5 or 6?

145,000+ miles.  Zero maintenance, original clutch,etc.  Should be good for 200,000, then I'll junk it and buy another $6000 truck, or just drive my other truck.

How about 8spd auto transmission?  Cuz they are making them nowadays.  7 and 8 speed transmissions.

Yeah, for bigass trucks.

Yeah?

Try for BMW's and some Lexus and I believe Acura is putting them into cars/suv's as well.

Weird.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A slight twist. I've never owned a manual, and I just realized that I wouln't be able to shift while getting serviced. I guess automatic wins by default.

Oh yeah, the car is one of those economy coupes.

Never had a problem with that with a manual.  Be sure you are in 1st, 3rd, or 5th.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets see,

More power to ya.  I was really disappointed in the selection.  My whole life I dreamed about having a new/newer car.  Now There's only a handful I want.  There is not one car/truck made by Ford, GM, or Chrysler that I like available with a manual transmission.  I just think that's sad.

Actually, you can get the Dakota V8 with a manual and the Ranger V6 with a manual, unless they stopped that since the 2004 models.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The other consideration is if you are ever in a driving shootout...you better have the automatic otherwise you won't be able to get any shots off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is not one car/truck made by Ford, GM, or Chrysler that I like available with a manual transmission.  I just think that's sad.

Fixed it.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I REFUSE to drive any vehicle with an automatic transmission.

That is silly in this day and age. Autos are stronger on single axle trucks requiring gentle shifts to prevent damage to the drive train components (especially U joints). Autos are great while off roading while crawling over very uneven terrain without stalling the engine of the vehicle. Last but not least, a three or four speed automatic hotrod will clean the clock of a comparatively built rig with a manual in a drag race. I love a manual on curves and on the open road. Everything else is the realm of the automatic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm an idiot.

I can drive with one foot anyway.  Clutch, put it in 1st, let the clutch out and start moving, then press gas and move.  Shifting can be the same way or without the clutch, your choice.

145,000+ miles.  Zero maintenance, original clutch,etc.  Should be good for 200,000, then I'll junk it and buy another $6000 truck, or just drive my other truck.

My 1993 Volkswagen Eurovan is just shy of 200,000 miles on the original auto tranny. This argument is so 1975.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm an idiot.

How about 8spd auto transmission?  Cuz they are making them nowadays.  7 and 8 speed transmissions.

Yeah, for bigass trucks.

Yeah?

Try for BMW's and some Lexus and I believe Acura is putting them into cars/suv's as well.

Weird.

BMW of North America says no such thing as an 8 speed.  They do put a 7 speed in the M5.  
I will check on Acura and Lexus tommorrow.

Really, it doesn't matter.  Automatics are WIMPomatics no matter how many gears they have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm an idiot.

Yeah, for bigass trucks.

Yeah?

Weird.

BMW of North America says no such thing as an 8 speed.  They do put a 7 speed in the M5.  
I will check on Acura and Lexus tommorrow.

Really, it doesn't matter.  Automatics are WIMPomatics no matter how many gears they have.

*yawn*

www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=46770
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I REFUSE to drive any vehicle with an automatic transmission.

I won't go quite that far, but I certainly won't buy one if I have a choice.

Curiously, the clutch on my 01 Camaro appears to be an optional-use item. The system appears to have a 'safety' whereby without the clutch, there is a certain rev-band per gear where a little block opens up, and you can change gear without depressing the clutch.

It's probably not good for the car, and if you 'miss' the rev band you're probably going to have to hit the clutch anyway, or play with the accelerator until you get the 'sweet spot' again.

NTM

Any manual can be shifted when the load is removed. You can spin up the intermediate shaft by double clutching for smoother downshifts as well. If you hold a little pressure on the syncros when you upshift you will always catch the next gear. That is just driving a stick. If done properly it is actually easier on the car. Its not rocket science. If you are good, you can drive with the clutch linkage broken from work back to dry dock without using the clutch at all. That WILL be a little hard on the car, however.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Colorado/Canyon platform is available with a stick shift, but only with a little 4 banger.  If you want any other options or a crew cab, sorry.

{Brief Hijack}
The 5-speed manual is available with the 5-cylinder as well.  In fact, the 5-speed is available in all configurations, except as you said,  the crew cab.  (Without looking at the specs, I believe that the manual tranny also reduces the towing capacity of the vehicle.)

On my Frontier, it's the same with either.  I have seen others where the towing capacity is reduced with the manual and I don't understand it, unless they think someone driving a manual would burn up the clutch while starting off with a trailer behind them.

Many intermediate size work trucks have manuals to save the jarring of shifting with a large load.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

4.  The way autos kickdown is nowhere near like a manual where you bring up the revs before dropping the clutch so there is no lurch.
6.  That auto stick is going to overhead while you are "having fun in the mountains".

6 OR 7 SPEED AUTOSTICKS?

Doesn't the new Corvette auto use a 6 speed paddle wheel shifter (06) and the new Mercedes transmission is a 7, don't know about autostick in that. What about the SRT8 Charger it's an autostick but I don't know off hand how many gears. Besides with the auto, your torque converter acts like 2 more gears. At (stall) take off, it's another gear, and at lock up, a change of ratio due to no slippage.

What about the new Caddilac STS V isn't it a paddle wheel 6? These are all new transmissions, so I'm not sure about the auto stick features, but I think the sporting models have them.

I don't think an auto is a substitute on the road race track, but more most spirited driving maneuvers of a non "sports" car, I think auto's don't loose too much of the fun factor anymore.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

You know you can down shift an auto right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

You know you can down shift an auto right?

Yeah, and you get a lurch, unlike a manual.

All the argument aside, automatics are WIMPomatics.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My BMW is a 5-speed auto, my Maserati is a 6-speed manual w/paddle shifters and an automatic clutch. It also has an auto shifting mode.

BMW makes a very good automatic, and it shifts just fine. They are nothing like the crap automatics that domestic cars have had in the past.

In the near future I see me getting the M6 when it comes out and i'm sure I will enjoy its 7-speed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#23]
6X4 now thats a real manual

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
If you buying a pick-up. Try and get the allison automatic. I have put over 250,000 miles on two of them with out any problems. Lot's of abuse and heavy towing, with chipped up engines. A friend of mine has over 10 newer Ford power stroke/automatics in his business and has had lots of problems. He's switching back to the GM /Allison comboon his next purchase cycle. Stay away from manual's unless your buying a porsche, c6 vette or "M" series BMW..........
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cars with "standard" (manual) transmissions don't resell well.

I really don't understand why anyone cares about resale value.  If you're trading your car in or selling it before it's worth almost nothing anyway, then you obviously aren't concerned with saving money.

A car isn't an investment, except in very rare cases.  It is a consumable.

Jim

wtf? i drive a stick and a manual and it seems to me that most ppl defend manuals because its "oh so cool". ive had the same dependability with my auto as ive had with my manual and theyve both done well
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED!

Was waiting for that  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Modern auto transmissions are computer controlled to match your driving. They are not your father's auto transmission. Fuel mileage is not a concern with either one. Your driving style is king of gas mileage. An auto transmission will tow about double that of a manual transmission, because of the way the gearing is engineered. I don't know the particulars, not an engineer, just check the manufacturers tow figures. Resale is higher for an automatic. Manual trannys usually are a deduction in the NADA books to the tune of $600-800.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#28]
manual all the way

no
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Modern auto transmissions are computer controlled to match your driving. They are not your father's auto transmission. Fuel mileage is not a concern with either one. Your driving style is king of gas mileage. An auto transmission will tow about double that of a manual transmission, because of the way the gearing is engineered. I don't know the particulars, not an engineer, just check the manufacturers tow figures. Resale is higher for an automatic. Manual trannys usually are a deduction in the NADA books to the tune of $600-800.

Horseshit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Horses***.

No, I think he meant any kind of load.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Horseshit.

He is talking about 2x torque reduction...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Driving a sporty car with an automatic is tacky and a dumb idea in general.

Kind of like running a race in army boots.

On the other hand, nothing is to be gained by getting a big car or truck with a manual transmission.

In short, get an automatic unless there is a very good reason to get a manual, such as the car is a high horsepower sports car.  (not some focking ford focus gt)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never owned an auto in 20 years of driving, probably never will

Get whatever you're more comfortable with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#34]
GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
i prefer manual. If you dont worry about saving money, get the Automatic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
manual all the way, cheaper, better milage, will last alot longer if you drive em right.  Automatics just drain alot of power.

What I've found, at least in the truck arena, is that manuals have less towing capacity. I think it's because the auto makers tend to marry the manual transmission with smaller engines for economy. I'm sure that's different if you're talking about a performance car.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top