Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 9:08:44 PM EDT
Yeah these idiots overclock an AMD Duron processor, then pull the cooling fan off.  Pretty energetic reaction!

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Cool

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Entertainment in the eastern Bloc ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Next POS I get Im gonna try it
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cool

Actually its hot!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
That wouldnt have happened if they had a real CPU (read: Intel CPU).
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Would have happened with ANY cpu. Im going to go home and blow up an INtel chip for the hell of it now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Completely fake.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yeah, they wouldn't be able to get it anywhere near 3.8Ghz in the first place.  Anyone that tells you that a p3 Celeron will is full of shit.

Thats some hellacious overlocking without a fan running.  Did I see right, was there a hole in the table too?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, they wouldn't be able to get it anywhere near 3.8Ghz in the first place.

Thats some hellacious overlocking without a fan running.  Did I see right, was there a hole in the table too?

flamebait taken

I have a socket478 P4 3.2 overclocked to 3.920 Ghz, running solid  for about a year now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, they wouldn't be able to get it anywhere near 3.8Ghz in the first place.

flamebait taken

I have a socket478 P4 3.2 overclocked to 3.920 Ghz, running solid  for about a year now.

Apples to apples.  It depends on what the Duron he was running was.  It was older than your P4, for sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
If you click on more videos, they toast an Intel P4 aswell.

Makes me kinda cringe..I just dropped some cash on a new processor
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
anyone else notice that the fan on the heatsink wasn't spinning in the first place?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
anyone else notice that the fan on the heatsink wasn't spinning in the first place?

Yup.  Makes me wonder what kind of speed they could have gotten using liquid cooling or Nitrogen cooling.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
thats pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would have happened with ANY cpu. Im going to go home and blow up an INtel chip for the hell of it now.

Nope, P4s will throttle down and won't burn out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit they will to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Completely fake.

+1

impossible

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not when you overclock them to hell and take the heatsink off.the sensors don't update NEARLY fast enough to combat the speed at which the chip would heat up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit they will to.

P4's shut off, I've seen it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit they will to.

non-OC'd right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit they will to.

Yeah, and I have seen them fry.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit they will to.

www.metacafe.com/item26293/GMAME
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit they will to.

Not saying i dont belive you, but I have seen them fry right in front of me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just in case anybody was thinking I made that up:

that IS NOT OVERCLOCKED! (trust me a p4 Oc'd to all hell will die without a HeatSink, not that you would want to OC.......ever hear of suddon intel death syndrome?)

btw.......athlon64s and newer gen Athlons will shut off just fine at stock speeds......The video is bs anyways....look at how they SMOTHER the chip with thermal paste (anyone who knows how to put thermal paste on(which THG doesn't know how to do, which is why I have zero respect at all for their technical knowldge) knows not to do that, it only acts as an insulator)...not to mention they got the paste all over the bridges and all those other components on the chip WHICH IS A VERY BAD THING....especially if the paste is electircally conducting. Why is the P3 devoid of thermal paste???
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why is the P3 devoid of thermal paste???

Perhaps the heatsink itself had some thermal tape on it.  As for having thermal paste smeared everywhere, I agree that it's a bad thing.  Use as little as possible.

Me = Intel fan, all the way.

*Edit* Upon watching them remove the heatsink from the P3, it looks like there is an outline of where some paste was pushed away from a processor.  Looks as if it was previously installed on a Xeon, Socket-478 or LGA-775 sized processor.
*/Edit*
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Not being a CPU expert and all, I still have to throw the bullshit flag on the thing EXPLODING.  And blowing a whole through the table?  Yeah, I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

No way that 4 volts (and the screen said it) could be applied to anything electronic to produce that sort of reaction.  Burn, yes.  Explode?  No way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#28]
FAKE.

Trust me.. I know.

My stack of burnt chips:

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
FAKE.

Trust me.. I know.

My stack of burnt chips:

www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/2400+/stackoamds.jpg

And here I am trying to save up to buy just one...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
FAKE.

Trust me.. I know.

My stack of burnt chips:

Were you OC like mad and remove the HSF? Im not saying it would blow up, but definantly would show mor damage than that top one in your stack.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Well I've had some crispy ones, others were less noticeable.  I forget where the one pic I have is, but there was some caked on neoprene insulation from a peltier/watercooling setup I had going.  That was nasty and smelled horrendous.  Most were because of too much voltage or an improperly mounted piece of cooling.  Mind you it's not like they all died the first time I put the cooling on.  All except my first happened only after putting the processors through hell :D

As for the "taking the HSF off while the CPU is running" bit.  No I haven't done that.  But the first CPU I fried when I was building my first computer, it was a 1.2ghz Tbird and I *RESTED* an aluminum orb heatsink on the cpu.  Rested, not attached.  And that thing poofed a bit of smoke lol

Have I ever had one aspldoe like that?  No.  And quite honestly I just don't see how anything like that could happen.. for it to blow through the bottom of the motherboard.

Silicon is tough stuff.  Especially in layers as in PCB and processors.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Uh, its widely known that that video is fake.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
FAKE.

Trust me.. I know.

My stack of burnt chips:

What the fuck are you doing?  With that many failures I hope that you've build 100+ systems.  I've never roasted a chip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#34]
its fake smoke comes from under chip lick a fire cracker under it also lockdown handle must not be looked allowing chip to jump up like that! also the cpu fan not even spinnig true sign that its a fake scenario!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top