User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
One rebellious former USMC brat reporting for duty.  In fact, it was the upbringing that drove me away from the armed forces.

Funny, now, looking back, I rebelled against the one job I probably would have been best suited for.

Kinda like wanting to play hockey when you grew up down south - just didn't happen.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT to see if there are any others.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Foreign military brat checking in, they served on land so I'll pick Army.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Air Force brat here.  Ten and a half years at Hahn AB, Germany.  Four years first tour, 6 and a half the second so I could graduate there.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Dad was in first the USAAF then the USAF, retired as a msgt after 24 years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Dad is a retired US Air Force Lt. Colonel.  Got passed over for Colonel a couple times.  Of the few stations he's had, he was a Navigator in the F-4 Phantom during Vietnam, was the Inspector General at Torrejon AFB in Spain, worked with a NATO detachment in Naples, Italy, commanded a Foward Air Control unit out of Fort Polk, La, and then got stationed at Bergstrom.  They then decided to close the base, and Dad was the head honcho of Logistics while they moved equipment from the base.   I believe Bergstrom was the last operating base of the F-4s before they were all retired.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
AF.  dad flew b-47s for SAC in the early 60s, then -135s in the late 60s/early 70s.  one of the few tanker pilots to record actual combat missions, as he penetrated enemy airspace on several occasions to assist damaged strikers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
AF.  dad flew b-47s for SAC in the early 60s, then -135s in the late 60s/early 70s.  one of the few tanker pilots to record actual combat missions, as he penetrated enemy airspace on several occasions to assist damaged strikers.

Siren-

What wing?  My dad flew -47s for the 310th BW out of Salina, Kansas.   They might know each other.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Dad retired E-7 CPO USN, Moffat Field, CA in 1985.  Sub hunter on P-3's
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Siren-

What wing?  My dad flew -47s for the 310th BW out of Salina, Kansas.   They might know each other.  

i'll have to give him a call, but i don't think it was kansas.  then again, he's ranted about how much he hates that state, so it would make sense.

i may have mentioned this before, but another little tidbit is that he was flying the #2 -135 during the palomares incident.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I believe Bergstrom was the last operating base of the F-4s before they were all retired.  

yep.  RF-4Cs.  grandfather and an uncle were stationed there in the 70s, and i grew up in the austin area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
There has to be more than this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Allow me to tell you about my military dad.

My father joined the Army when he was 19 and went on to become a Green Beret.  No shit.  He was only reserves though, but either way I always thought "Green Beret, cool!!".  He'd give me mil stuff and lots of neat things like BDUs and stuff kids like when they reach a certain age.  He later got too old for the GB thing and tranferred to the Air Force and worked in Tucson doing "intelligence work".  One thing about my dad, he had a high DOD clearance and was an E-7 or 8 when he retired.  He never talked about any military stuff with me at all!!!  He wouldn't tell me shit.  Not one story.

Now, I don't talk to my father anymore.  He was such a worthless husband that my mom had to mow the yard while she was 8 months pregnant with me.  He came home from work and just slept.  He didn't contribute one thing to the house.  She divorced his lazy ass soon after I was born.  She had to take him to court twice just to get money for child support.  He didn't want pay.  He also made good money and we were poor.

He visited me for 15 minutes each month to bring the child support.  Never really tried to be a dad until I was 14, then just treated me like a slave POS.  

I don't know my dad at all.  I just know he's lazy, has a hot temper, and no social skills.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Dad USN retired LCDR, 27 years; I'm a quitter and only did 21. Son leaves for basic in March.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.  I can sympathise though.  I had a few friends growing up on post who's fathers where compliet assholes.  And had other issues.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.  I can sympathise though.  I had a few friends growing up on post who's fathers where compliet assholes.  And had other issues.

I'm okay with it really.  People try to claim some of my problems are because of my dad, but I really don't know him at all, and can't say I really miss not having a dad.  Of course when I was a kid, I needed a father, but he was mean and never cared about me, so what choice did I have.  He took me camping 2 or 3 times and every trip was a nightmare.  I was treated like shit each time for the most part.  He's never helped me as an adult or in college either.  "Hey dad, can you help pay for some of my classes this year?"  "No, I don't have any money".  Yeah, okay.  Asshole.

Last year, for Christmas, he chose to go to another city to be with a girl he met on the Internet

He has no family (except me and my mom) and very few friends.  He's a real loser.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top