Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 1:03:01 PM EDT
Coming into work this morning listening to NPR (National Propaganda Radio), I heard excerpts of the taped radio comms between the CIA contractors in the surveillance plane and Peruvian Air Force controllers during the "interdiction" of the missionary's plane.

The CIA guy repeatedly told the Peruvians that the plane didn't fit the drugrunner profile, and that they should not shoot. When "Option 3," a shootdown, was authorized by the Peruvian controllers, he kept cutting in and telling them to look again, wait, wait, this doesn't look right. When the Peruvian interceptors were rolling in to fire up the plane, the CIA guy was yelling out that he had finally heard from the missionary pilot and that he was diverting as ordered to the Peruvian AF base for inspection. Too late. They gunned him while the CIA guy was yelling "No mas! No mas!"

It's still an absolutely tragic story, but I was glad to hear that it wasn't some US engineered black op expedient assassination of the wrong guy.

Link to the FoxNews story: [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,31255,00.html[/url]

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
i think have seen that a while back.
Not to minimize the tragedy but:

As I remember the Peruvian air force had a weird little plane.  
If I recall it was a Turbo prop or turbo fan that shot  .30 cal bullets?
I know it wasn’t a modern jet interceptor like a F-16  
Did these come from 30 BMG’s  
If it had a Minigun wouldn’t that disintegrate the Sessna?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
War on drugs - too bad some innocent people have to die for the greater good. Actually Jarhead, it is a US engineered thing. We pay them to help us fight our war on drugs, so essentially it is our fault.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The peruvian jet looks like a Cessna OA-37 Dragonfly, The Peruvian A-37's have an internal GAU-2B  7.62 mini gun, Which works extremely well for shooting down unarmed Cessna 172 float planes ! Wasn't it the Peruvians who shot up one of our C-130's afew years back ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top