Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:29:46 AM EDT
i have old Sony Playstation 2(not slim new design)...

somehow..my PS 2 won;t play game/won;t read or play any PS 2 game disks

but it play PS 1 game fine......what;s wrong with my PS 2 system????
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:46:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
Sometimes a dvd lens cleaner takes care of that problem.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:50:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:01:54 AM EDT
12 gauge shotgun should fix that right up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 1:08:03 PM EDT by Stupidfly]
Look at the bottom of the ps2. There should be either 8 or 10 screws (depending on model) under neath plastic and rubber "feet". Pry these feet up with a flathead screwdriver or your finger nails. Remove the screws. On the back of the unit, where you plug the cords into, should be a warranty sticker. Remove it. Lift the top of the unit up, starting at the back.

Once the cover is off, look on the right side of the unit. This is the dvd drive. There should be either 4 screws or 2 screws and 2 clips holding the cover of the dvd drive on. Remove those screws/clips to get to the laser.

Clean the laser lens by using a qtip and alcohol and rubbing the top. Replace the dvd drive cover, and try a game. If it still doesn't work, take the dvd drive cover back off.

Find the laser and the two rails it slides on. Trace the right rail to the back of the unit. It should be held down with a screw or a metal clip (the clip would hold both rails down). Either way free up the right rail from the screw/clip.

Flip the laser over. On the bottom you should see 2 potentiameters (sp?). The look like little phillips head screws with two little tabs coming off the underside of them. If the laser is still plugged in(which it should be) the screw on the right controls the dvd part of the laser.

Get a multimeter that measures ohms. Set it on 2k or 2000 ohms. Take one of the multimeter probes and put it on one of the tabs on the right side potentiameter. The other probe goes on the other tab on that same potentiameter. The readout should be anywhere from 6.00 to 17.00. We want the readout to say between 7.00 and 8.50.

To adjust simply turn the potentiameter screw one way or the other.
Once it reads the correct amount screw it all back together.

If it doesn't work, your not out anything. If it does, good for you. If it doesn't work, pm me and I have some other things you can try.

Edit: cause I left something out
Top Top