Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Back East, the kids called Percs the 'itchies'.  I took one every 2-3 hours for a day after surgury for a broken arm.  I now know where the name came from.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Back East, the kids called Percs the 'itchies'.  I took one every 2-3 hours for a day after surgury for a broken arm.  I now know where the name came from.

Never heard this before,I thought it was just me.The end of my nose itches like a bastard,I will scratch it till it is raw.When I try to get off of the stuff for my back for a while,I will go and either get a toporal or hydrocortisone shot in my back,that used to help for a month,then weeks,then days,now it hardly makes a difference.I have something called a TENS unit,its a little 9volt electrical shocker,it has electrodes I put down near my herniated disk,it helps with the pain,but you dont want to move or stretch too much,it feels like an icepick in the back
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Back East, the kids called Percs the 'itchies'.

Or "Scratchers"

My doc just gave me 100 Percocets 7.5mg/325

Im scheduled for back surgery. Until then................
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's my personal experience that nothing, not even demerol, holds a candle to Dilaudid in making excrutiating pain evaporate.

+1 and then some....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hope you're keeping one in reserve, because that hangover is going to be a mofo

I always keep a couple "extra".

As of now, my SHTF/incase of emrgency kit has about a week of good times in it.

No kidding! I don't know how it is down there, but for about the last 5 years in AK, they won't give you shit for pain pills, nothing.
I wrecked my 4-wheeler and the fender mount ripped through my wrist severing the main artery and yanking(yes, yanking) a tendon out of my palm. The tendon was hanging about six inches out of my wrist. They snipped the tendon off, sewed me up and sent me home. I went back the next day and told them I couldn't sleep because of  the pain, so they gave me frickin Ultram, christ.
So, nowdays I always maintain a stash for real need.

Something real dumb I did was, when I got my left nut shot off, I turned down 100 Mepergan (sp?).They were the shit. I was young and tough. Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
when I got my left nut shot off,

That story is going to have to be told.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea........wait till ya need to take a crap.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Something real dumb I did was, when I got my left nut shot off......

WTF? I don't feel nearly as bad now.......
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Doc gave me about 20 500m hydrocodone after the pit bull ate my thumb back in Feb. I could sleep about two hours before the pain came back. He gave me about 30 more after being released from the hospital. I still have about 26 or so of them left. Now I know where the term "comfortably numb" came from. The rest are saved away for a rainy day.

Back in the day a buddy of mine had a wife who worked for a dentist. She used to get us those little sample packs of Tylenol 3. Tylenol and codiene...........best hangover cure in the world.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Hydrocodone fucking sucks.

Most worthless pill ever invented.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Wish I could get something for my pain.  maybe soon
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]
i currently take daily: 20 mg of oxycodone extended release
                                   20 mg of oxycodone with apap of 325mg
                                   300mg of lyrica

sadly this doe slittle for my back/neck pain
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Last time I took them I was in a great mood, had energy.  Im ready to go do some work
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]
morphine drip is the best.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I flat LOVE morphine.  It has been real good to me when I've been in need.  One time when the doc was going to set my fractured leg, he had the nurse give me some in my IV.  In that instant, I learned why druggies are druggies.

Call me a pussy...but that stuff was way cool.  

i had so much morphine when i was in the hospital, it no longer worked on me, they gave me demerol insted. whoa, like sitting in a warm bath.

Ooooh demerol, I loved that stuff in the hospital. Warm bath yes, but a warm bath floating 6 feet off the floor!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Vicodin (Hydrocodone/APAP) & Percocet (Oxycodone/APAP) are pretty good for mild-moderate-moderately severe pain.

People in a lot of pain (post-op) usually get Demerol & Vistaril or go in house on a Morpine or Fentanyl PCA pump.  Of course there's always Fentanyl Lollypops.....

And, FYI--if you go into the Drs office telling him that Percs, Vikes, etc. are the only thing that work for your pain, you raise a large RED flag.  Get "pain seekers" (people addicted to pills) all the time.

After I got my ankle fusion, they gave me Fentanyl for the first and only time. Shortly after they gave it to me I got itchy all over and had trouble breathing. They shot something else into the IV after that(Benadryl?) to stop the reaction. Fentanyl and me don't mix.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Last dr visit for my hand hurting I got an anti-inflamatory, made me worse off it seemed.  Gotta love dryheaving on the way to the mailbox.

Next time I hope for some low end painpills atleast they dont leave me in worse pain then when I started.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The tendon was hanging about six inches out of my wrist. They snipped the tendon off, sewed me up and sent me home.

God Damn, what are they, witch doctors?  Was an oil change technician filling in for the surgeon that day?

You're in Alaska, couldn't they have found Doc Fleischman?  I mean, come on, snip it off?  God, don't ever go to that office if you have a urinary tract infection or a hemmorhoid, I'd hate to think what they'd consider to be a "solution".

Jim
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I had 22 teeth crushed with side cutters,and needle nose plyers while being sucked out with a dental vac!

Then a small surgical garden hoe was used to cut and scrape my jawbone somewhat flat and even!!

The I was stitched up mouth filled with gauze!

I was given a prescription for Hydrocodine and left to drive home!

I drove about two miles down the road and couldn't talk so just showed the prescription,drove home and got on the enteret!!

I could not feel my lips,and could not form a mouth to even take a pill!!

I have been shot and damn near cut my right hand off with a chainsaw,but nothing had prepared me for the pain that comes from dental extraction of this magnatude!!!

The pain was hard to take and then my numb mouth finally let me dribble water and a pill down!!

About 15 minutes later my feet were on the ceiling,Damn it was like nothing I have ever known!!

Scared me so bad I only took two more and put the rest back for the EOTWAWKI!!!

I fiqure that if I ever took a bullet I would need these!!!

And thats why a big slow bullet would be needed if you ever take on a bad guy on these kind of drugs,cause he ain't gonna know you even shot him!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yup. It's all fun and games until you need a shoehorn and tub of vaseline to take a dump.

i know that feeling. I took loads of that shit after a motorcycle wreck and several surgeries.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Some people are just unresponsive to certain meds.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I dont know I hear the flinstones chewable morphine is pretty sweet
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah well, its a good thing my wisdom teeth being pulled didnt really hurt that much.

Cuz me and the dentist, we would have gone rounds for giving me such a pussy-ass pill.

One day when I did have pain, I took 3 5/500's within 30mins and it didnt do anything for the pain nor did it affect me at all.  20mins after I took the last pill, I went to a city 15mi to teh north and went shopping for some stuff I needed and came back home.

Now, NO2 and the IV sedation for wisdom teeth.......totally fucking rocks.
Man.....

They gave me NO2 for about 5mins and then the doc was like, "well, time for the IV....."  He puts it in and says "count back from 10" and I was a little trippy so I was like, "I thought it was 100?"
He says, "no, 10."

10......9.........8.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That was at 1030am, I didnt wake up until almost 7pm that night.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]
hydrocodone did not help me with my back. just made me drool in pain.
Bextra was the shit, that stuff can even balance the check book!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most meds only work for a minority of people and there are LOTS of people out there who are allergic to some or nealy all standard pain medications.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't think it made me high in any way, though.   It almost looks like I don't have a "high mechanism" in my brain or something.     I think I am a very low risk type when it comes to the possibility of becoming addicted to some drug.

Pain patients typically report that pain killers do not produce a high if you really are in pain. The more pain, the less high. They report that it just dulls the pain and allows them to feel "normal".

If you took the same stuff when you weren't in great pain you might very well experience a high.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I flat LOVE morphine.  It has been real good to me when I've been in need.  One time when the doc was going to set my fractured leg, he had the nurse give me some in my IV.  In that instant, I learned why druggies are druggies.

Call me a pussy...but that stuff was way cool.  

i had so much morphine when i was in the hospital, it no longer worked on me, they gave me demerol insted. whoa, like sitting in a warm bath.

Ooooh demerol, I loved that stuff in the hospital. Warm bath yes, but a warm bath floating 6 feet off the floor!

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#33]
One time I messed up my back so bad that I could not move, it hurt to breath.

The Navy ER doc gave me 1600 mg of motrin and told me to wait until the "real" doctor got there.

By the time the "real" doctor got there I was screaming in pain.

The nice doctor gave me a shot of demerol and a shot of valium.

A few minutes later I didn't know that I had a back or why I was in the hospital.

I got that treatment for the next 14 hours.

I NEVER want to experince that kind of pain ever again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Percocet-was given as much as I wanted after my bypass surgery (well really only one every 4 hours) After a day and a half I came to the conclusion that I did not at all  like how I felt at the 3 1/2 hr mark. The nurses and later the docters kinda freaked out when I told them I was going to try going without. I had my surgery on friday morning and stopped the pain meds sunday night. I had a rocky day monday,wasn't real comfortable on tuesday but I think I was better off for it. Weeks later when I saw the bill printout It really crazed me to see how many different drugs they had pumped into me in two days .Drugs scare the shit out of me (eccept Percocet, I didn't shit for 6 days after my surgery!)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wrecked my 4-wheeler and the fender mount ripped through my wrist severing the main artery and yanking(yes, yanking) a tendon out of my palm. The tendon was hanging about six inches out of my wrist. They snipped the tendon off, sewed me up and sent me home.

Now THAT is medical malpractice!   You HAVE sued, I take it?

If not,  WHY not?

CJ

It is quite common. Not to try to hijack the thread but the national organizations of pain treatment docs have been protesting government regulation of pain meds for being too restrictive and putting doctors in too much fear of prescribing them.

Then there is also a traditional feeling in the US that pain is good for you and you ought to just tough it out. In reality, high doses of morphine after surgery can cut the hospital stay in half because it reduces stress on the nervous system.

Now back to you guys talking about how wonderful the stuff is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm about to go pick up my last refill of 10/500 Lortab.

See ya'll Monday.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#38]
speckled bellied lortabs are good too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Ahhhh...better living through Chemistry!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Yea........wait till ya need to take a crap.

Ah yes...I had forgotten that rather important point!  Wowzers it was HARD to go!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, narcotics reduce GI motility (i.e.--the shit don't move down the pipe like it's supposed to).  

Long term Narc. use, you should be on a laxitive at the same time.

Another warning--Narcotics also depress respiration rates--not good for elderly (pneumonia).

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yeah, narcotics reduce GI motility (i.e.--the shit don't move down the pipe like it's supposed to).  

Long term Narc. use, you should be on a laxitive at the same time.

Another warning--Narcotics also depress respiration rates--not good for elderly (pneumonia).

AFARR

Yep. Medulla oblongata regulates all that - digestive motility, respiration rate, gag/vomit/cough reflexes, consciousness (via reticular formation) as well as using endorphins to dampen intense pain signals passing through it on the way up the brain.

Opioid drugs (morphine, codiene and the derivatives) bind to endorphin receptors and squelch a lot of reflexes regulated through the medulla also. That's why codiene is in cough syrup because it inhibits the cough reflex at the medulla. That's also why heroin OD's result in people passing out and choking on their own vomit.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That's bad for your liver dude!

Hope your face feels better!

Mixing alcohol and Acetameniphen is very bad for your liver. Most narcotic analgesics contain a combination of acetameniphin and an opiate/opioid.

Side effects can be constipation, fatigue, confusion, low blood pressure.  Please dont drive or handle firearms while taking them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most meds only work for a minority of people and there are LOTS of people out there who are allergic to some or nealy all standard pain medications.

Yep.  My wife is allergic to Codeine and it has no noticable effect on me. Would prolly kill me if i took enough, but it doesnt dull pain for me any better than regular tylenol.  and neither works as well as ibuprophen or naproxin on me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a really bad abscess last summer, required two root canals on adjacant teeth. Dentist used only novacaine and prescribed an antibiotic prior to the root canal. No pain meds were prescribed which surprised me a little, but Ibuprofen worked fine with no side effects.  The pain from the toothache was really bad, but Motrin took care of it just fine. After the root canal, I had no pain at all (it did take days for the swelling from the abscess to go down).

I'm glad too because I don't like opiates.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know I hear the flinstones chewable morphine is pretty sweet

Whisky is the only pain meds you'll ever need.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I just had a root canal thursday morning. The dentist prescribed me Tylenol with Codiene for the pain that I guess I should have.

In january of this year, my wife had pnuemonia with a bronchial infection. The doctor gave her Cough syrup with codiene in it. She took it for a few days and was feeling 100% better. A week later, I started feeling pretty rough, and figured I had the same thing she had. So, I decided to take the cough syrup she had left over. The label called for 2 teaspoons every 4 hours.
I figure "Hell, one tablespoon is two teaspoons", and start taking this cough syrup, a tablespoon every 4 hours. I had never taken anything with codiene in it before, so I thought it was perfectly normal to get groggy and pass out 45 minutes later. Well, it turns out that a tablespoon is actually almost 3 teaspoons. Whoopsie!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I was prescribed Demerol sp? for pain after getting wisdom teeth removed.  The best legal fun ever!  Just like a humongus bong hit!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top