Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:00:23 AM EDT
I've been itching to get a MBR and news that FN will sell a 7.62 version of the SCAR has got me excited.  What other semi-autos in 7.62 are expected?  Here's the list I created:

1) FN SCAR in 7.62
2) SIG rifle, forgot the designation, it was like the 550 in 7.62
3) HK417 - a long shot for the consumer market

My requirements are for a semi-auto 7.62 with 1) long range shooting capability (can be scoped, accurate) and 2) capable of being used for CQB situations in a pinch (collapsible/folding stock).  Of those already out there, here is what I'm looking at right now:

1) Fulton Armory Ultimate Battle Rifle
    Positives: Accurate, reliable, solid, compact
    Negatives: Expensive.  Kludge scope mounting solution.  I'd rather buy a new seamlessly integrated system than a tricked out older system (kind of like buying a new BMW vs a tricked out garage mustang)

2) FAL variants
    Positives: Reliable, solid, cheap mags
    Negatives: Not as accurate

3) AR10 variants
    Positives: Very accurate
    Negatives: Not as reliable, too large for CQB, expensive mags

4) SAIGA 308
    Positives: CHEAP, accurate, reliable, solid
    Negatives: too large for CQB, mags that are expensive, hard to find, and low capacity

5) Other AK variants
    Positives: Fairly cheap, somewhat accurate, reliable, solid, ????
    Negatives: mags, ????

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
3) AR10 variants

bushmasters AR10s use FAL mags, but I think they discontinued them

ETA: how would a 16" rifle be too large for CQB?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thoughts?

3) get a carbine

5) more accurate than #2??  Limited customization/rails/optics/etc.  poor ballistics and tightening ammo supply in 7.62 x 39mm
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
5) more accurate than #2??

I was thinking about the SAIGA when I wrote that.  I'm not sure about the other ones out there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3) AR10 variants

bushmasters AR10s use FAL mags, but I think they discontinued them

ETA: how would a 16" rifle be too large for CQB?

Yeah, I may have lumped too many of them together.  I was referring to the long range DPMS models there, I'm not sure I'd want the AP4, I was thinking at least a 20" barrel.  Right now, the Fulton with a 22" barrel is the closest to what I want but I don't want to throw down $3K and then deal with the buyer's remorse when a better(?) less expensive(?) rifle like the SCAR comes out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]

as far as a truely "new" gun, i think the SCAR/ARM is really the only thing out there.

i'm a HUGE fan of my SG58C though.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
what is this 7.62 sig you are talking about? do they even have one in the line curretly?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what is this 7.62 sig you are talking about? do they even have one in the line curretly?

7.62 version of the 550 series, I think it was submitted for SASS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Armalite's SuperSASS is due out.  Should be accompanied by the new mags/mag design too.

Anybody who knows anything about the Armalite AR-10's will tell you the old mags were 99.5% of all "reliability" problems attributed to the platform.

The new mags are supposedly 10,000 miles ahead of the old ones.

Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Armalite's SuperSASS is due out.  Should be accompanied by the new mags/mag design too.

Anybody who knows anything about the Armalite AR-10's will tell you the old mags were 99.5% of all "reliability" problems attributed to the platform.

Only time will tell.

What's the difference between the old and the new?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Only time will tell.

Even if these new mags are the sh!t, it'll still be a direct impingement gas system right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only time will tell.

Even if these new mags are the sh!t, it'll still be a direct impingement gas system right?

if so, that means it WILL be more accurate than a piston setup as there are no moving parts attatched to the barrel.

direct impingement is not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

...and.........?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
and that gas impingment systems has won how many wars, and major conflicts?
how many specialized internation units use it
its not perfect but it by far the best availible, and is more than capable of reliable finction with as much ammo that would carry, yes it may need clean after a few thousand rounds, but how many people carry that many rounds on person to a firfight
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What's the difference between the old and the new?

Thanks,

Merlin

The rear bolt hold open plunger is apparently deleted.  I think the mag bodies are more uniform in finish and texture.  I think the alloy follower may be standard issue in the new ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top