Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 7:25:28 AM EDT
What is the best and the worst? I want to buy one but I have no experience with ATVs. Also what are worth while options to have on one.

I want to thank all of you for the information, I helps someone like myself who has not had any experience with ATVs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Really like everything it depends on what you want to do with it. Farm/Ranch work, play, sport, trail?

I am a certified ATV instructor as well as motocrosser/harescramble rider, so if possible no matter how trivial you think it is take a course on saftey and riding, it helps!

I right now prefer Polaris, alot of people will bash them for the automatic drive, and I didn't think I'd like it, but it is great and the rumors of belt slippage are bunk. Polaris makes good "all around" machines for decent prices and ranges.

As far as worst there is alot of sorting to do there as guys will bash others for the heck of it!

If you want to spend alot of money and go fast go with Yamaha. I believe the new Grizzley is the biggest work mackine out there now and some say the Raptor is the quickest stock?

Some handy add-ons/features you might consider would be a winch, racks, hitch, plow, mower, really you can do just about anything you want with them or to them these days.

A good source of info is [url]www.atvconnection.com[/url] forums and site, also feel free to E-mail me if you need more info.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto what IAJack said. Read the reviews on the different machines and take what they say into consideration, but only you can know exactly what you're going to be doing with your ATV.

The new generation of "sport utility" ATVs like the Kawasaki 650 Prairie and Yamaha 660 Grizzly are top-of-the-line bikes that actually can fill two roles--work and play--pretty decently. I'd hesitate about recommending them to a newcomer, however. Something in the 300-450cc range would be better, IMHO.

But besides reading tests and stuff, take a beginning riding course. It'll shorten your learning curve and make you a better rider quicker. Have fun! [:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything Honda.

I used to race a TRX250R. Sweet!!! Too bad age chased me down and caught me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
i'm lookin to get a polaris myself
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I personally have a Yamaha Raptor 660R.  For a go fast sport quad it's great.  For pure work it wouldnt be my first choice.  First off you need to know what you want to use a quad for.  Are you trailriding, working, playing in the sand dunes, hunting ?????  There are probably 50 or more models of ATV available and many different roles.  You can check out manufacturer websites.   Try www.yamahausa.com www.hondamotorcycle.com www.kawasaki.com  www.polaris.com www.suzukicycles.com  It's a start for you and drop by the atv connection website you can question atv riders with your needs.  www.atvconnection.com [newbie]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the best and the worst? I want to buy one but I have no experience with ATVs. Also what are worth while options to have on one.
View Quote
Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin, or Honda Foreman Rubicon. Period. Polaris are junk and prone to breaking down like Harley's, Arctic Cats are okay, but not on the same plane, and Yamaha's Grizzly is alot of motor, but that doesn't make it good. The number one accessory is a GOOD winch. I don't thimk that you want to potentially lose a six thousand dollar machine because you didn'y want to spend a lousy few hundred on a winch that will pull your ass out of anything you can get into.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Really depends on what you want to use it for.

I like 2 wheelers the best.  I used to race in my younger days and the new machines have something the old ones I raced didn't, suspension.  I now putt around on a Honda XR 400 and I can get to places on 2 wheels that ATVs can only dream about.  How ever if you want to pack a bunch of gear, drag a deer, bring a cooler you need an extra wheel or 2.

I'm another guy who is a big fan of Hondas.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#10]
When I bought by Kawasaki 400 Bayou 4x4 in 1996 I had some specific criteria in mind that I think still applies to all "good" ATV's.

#1 Shaft Drive = no maintenance, reliability.

#2 Kick start for emergency, pull start will do, but some don't have any back up system.

#3 Water cooled 4 stroke engine.  2-strokes are fine, but not when you want to be quiet.  

#4 Overall cargo capacity and rack capacity.

My KLF-400 routinely carries me (260 lbs.) my brother in law (240 lbs.) plus up to 400 more pounds of corn with no problem.  (Yeah this is just a bit overloaded, but until I get the new Mule it will have to do)  

It has never been back to the shop and the only maintenance done is air filter, oil and filter changes and washing.  

Shaft drive is now the standard for more manufacturers and I would definitely shop around for the best rebate/deal on one that met my needs.

B
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The M274 series mule.. of course I am biased cause I own one...
[img]www.militarymules.com/images/DogOnMule_Small.jpg[/img]

870 pounds, 4WD, 4 wheel steer, either a 2 or 4 cyl air cooled engine, magnesium deck (the A5 model was aluminum) 3 speed transmission 2 speed transfer case. I have had mine up to about 35MPH and it still hap plenty of power left.

The nest part of all.. they are collectors items, so instead of depreciating they appreciate every day.. no loss on your part!
View Quote

Where can you find these?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
anyone ever heard of a Yamaha Moto4 350?
i thought all of the moto 4's were children atvs

does anyone know if this 4wheeler has the same 350cc engine as a Warrior and Wolverine?

thanks

(by the way, its no longer made)

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually I believe it's more closely related to the Big Bear.  Similar top end to the Warrior and Wolverine but valve dimensions and combustion chamber are different.  It's an early utility machine.  All Yamaha ATV's were listed as Moto 4's even my '98 Warrior.  I looked in the Raptor's owners manual and suprisingly didnt find Moto4 there.  Maybe they finally dropped that goofy name! [beer]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Any honda 2 stroke or the 400ex.Btw i ride a 85 250r for the sand dunes here in ca.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top