Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2001 11:45:40 AM EDT
Seems to be quiet a few members losing jobs lately. I was just curious.

How many are unemployed?
How long?
What industry?(reason I ask is this may be a great chance for networking)

_______

2mos and counting
Financial Services (bond trading mainly)

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I will be in two weeks, thank god
I will be until I return for winter vacation
The convienience  store worker industry

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I seperated myself from the restaurant business
the first part of March.  
I did not really want to go back into it but, even with a B.B.A, I seem to be getting pushed back into it.
I would get back into it as long as I wasn't having to work 115 hour weeks.
BTW, I am in the Houston area.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
How about trying that "placing an ad in the paper" business.  Everyone seems happy and making money in the commerical.

Still have a job, but prefer consulting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm leaving this afternoon to install a piece of equipment at a copper mine that is critical to the production process.  If it doesn't work, I'll probably be out of a job by Friday.

Anybody need a pretty good electrical engineer?
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Been almost 2 months now, toyota master tech. was with the same company for 15+ years, they let 4 of us go, 1 with 32 years, the others with 10 and 18 years, all with the same company.
The owner died, and his A-hole son took over, and he figured we were not worth what we were paid, so bye bye. replaced us with untrained lube boys.
I really dont want to do this anymore, the pay is steadily getting worse, and your body(back,shoulders,arms and hands)take a real beating over time.
SO, I am looking to change careers, and am going to finish my BA.
Keep your chins up guys, there's always something better!!![:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Laid off from the RF microelectronics field last Thursday.  With an OK severance package, I'll probably take the rest of the summer off & hit the trail heavy in September.

Norm
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Laid off from the RF microelectronics field last Thursday.  With an OK severance package, I'll probably take the rest of the summer off & hit the trail heavy in September.

Norm
View Quote

I took some time off after I finished college and again after I got laid off from a magazine in October '96. Haven't had a "real" job since then, though I've been doing tons of work as a freelance writer and photographer. Taking some time off is a good idea, I think; gives you a chance to step back, evaluate and plan a course of action. Good luck to those who've been or are about to be laid off. It generally gets better if you stick with it. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
1. Unemployed?  Yup.  (How else could I spend so much time here everyday?)

2. How long?  Nine months because of health problems.  After a few surgeries I finally got the 'thumbs up' from my doc about two weeks ago.  I'm in the process of getting resumes together and sent out now.

3. Industry?  Evil.  (I'm a lawyer)

LT, if you're in the financial services field, why not take a look at NYC?  Its sort of the financial services capitol, isn't it?  There's very progun places (namely PA) to live within a reasonable commute to the city.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
1.  I'm unemployed.

2.  I've been unemployed since 05/01.  

3.  My job was a call center tech.  I had to quit because the job is for students only, and I graduated.  However, I don't consider myself to be in the tech industry.  I got a BBA in business management; I consider myself to be in the business field.

Incidentally, I will have a job by next Monday.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Unemployed since Jan/01

15.5 years in Banking......primarily lending/middle management=BURNOUT!

Banking sucks great big donkey.......well, you get the drift!

Have sought employment at Railroads (asst. engineer)
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Corp.
Kholer Corp.
Local PD
1 out of State Company.

Locally, no one wants to hire anyone and our market is about to get flooded with up to 900 unemployed persons due to local plant closing.

Looks like I may have nabbed a job w/ Quebecor/World Printers in mid-manag. working with DP and employee incentive packages.

Hey........it ain't banking thats for sure.

Being off for this long can make a person go nucking futts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top