Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2001 1:52:45 PM EDT
(disclaimer: this is posted as a MEMBER, NOT as moderator. There are too many frickin' lawyer wannabees both in the general populace, and this site)

I REALLY don't like it when people change names, or have multiple user names.

It makes it more difficult to know where they are coming from.

When Hangfire posts, i know what to expect.

When Garand Shooter posts, I have a collection of posts back and forth with him that make me better able to reply to his posts.

When Imbrgolio posts, I know he has a certain mindset.

But when  / if any longtime poster changes their usernames, ALL that is lost.

You can't develop a sense of community when the ONLY thing you've got to go on is a username. And people keep changing theirs.

IMO, changing your username is HIDING from your past posts. Lord knows if I tried it here, I'd get called on the carpet for it.

Just one man's mutterings...
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
and what about the poor innocent slob that justs wants to change his name because he finds another name that fits him well or a new hobby or such that he would rather be know as?  

Garand, your starting to sound like a suspicious cop think someone is either up to know good or hiding something, when they in fact just like a different name. it's done in really life all the time!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Garandman -

Just a sugestion, but maybe it would be worthwhile to have a publicly accessable, and completely voluntary, log of who has changed their name to what.  That way, for example, if I was wondering whatever happened to "Lock&Load" because I missed his notice that he was changing his name, I could look in the log and quickly see that this new guy, "M4Madness", is realy just "Lock&Load".  Obviously it could be a completely voluntary system -you don't want to tell everyone you changed your name, fine.  But if you changed you name, and wanted people to be aware of it, there would be somewhere where we could all look it up.

Again, its just a suggestion. I don't know if anyone else would find it helpful or if it would be too much work to implement.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I changed mine because I wanted to and I can. I haven't been around so long that I've bonded with anyone in particular and I doubt anyone's asking themselves, what ever happened to uncle buck? I came to this site for a reason and didn't really expect to stay but here I am. The name I'm using now is a name I use on other sites and it was given to me in 1984 by a special girlfriend. I understand what your saying Garandman, I promise I won't change it again. Okay? I gave notice by posting a thread. I've got nothing to hide. Same guy different name.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, if I change my SN, then everyone here won't know me as the erratic, objectionable, highly opinionated and disillusioned member of AR15.Com that they all know. [BD]

Ummm, wait, maybe I should change my SN [:D]

naahh, I like being able to post here and knowing I'll get a variety of replies back with different views. That is what makes these forums so cool. [8D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Every now and then, I get some poor ignorant slob who asks me this question when they find out that not only do I own and shoot guns, but that I own "evil" guns. They say.... why do you have those things, you dont NEED them, do you??
To which I reply...I have them because I wanted them, and because I can !!! I dont need to offer a explanation as to why I have them !!! so deal with it !!!

This is the same reply I will offer on the screen name change debate.
I changed it cuz I could, and I wanted to. I originally chose my former name because it was one I had used for many years on some sports forums, but I never really thought it was appropriate for this one.
I dont have any alter ego's or aliases or other accounts to "sneak attack" from, If I have something to say, It will be under my name and no other.
With me, what you see is what you get.
[):)]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I changed my username because I have a new hobby.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't want to change my user name, but the forum software gave me no choice.  Give me my space back and I'll use my old name again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
So? What's the big deal?...Live and Let Live!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top