Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2001 2:00:10 AM EDT
This is a first for me, thought I should start building my own.  Any advise would really help.  By the way, I already pulled up that web site and have the basics. [>]:)]  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yah, Try posting this in the Build it yourself forum...
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yah scarecrow, I can read.  I posted this here because more people read this forum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Mkae sure all the little holes are clear of grit w/ the appropriate size drill bit. Just take the bit BY HAND and clean the shit out. Also get your self a speaker magnet. Small parts are hard enough to find on a dark carpet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you talking about assembling parts to a complete lower or finishing an 80% lower?

Norm
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! Why?  Because there are two *little bitty* detents that have to be loaded on a spring...if you slip, they FLY LIKE THE WIND (hence the earler post about a speaker magnet for dragging the carpet).  Be especially careful with the spring and detent on the stock assembly.

I also recommend getting a small punch and a leather or plastic/rubber mallet.  The punch will be used only about 3 or 4 times, but worth every cent (only cost about $3-5 at Home Depot).  The small leather or plastic mallet will prevent you from scratching your receiver.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Depending on what type of lower receiver and lower internals you are using, there is a small problem that I have encountered twice. Once was with an OlyArms lower and the other was with a Bushmaster I believe.

The bolt release fit in just a little bit tight, but it was tight enough to not let the magazine engage it when it was empty. Both times I just took BreakFree and oiled it very well and worked it back and forth for a little bit while I was watching TV. No problems after that. Just a little pre-break in breaking in I guess.

Im not sure if it was a problem with that area of the lowers being too tight or the actual part being just a little bit too big, but in any case they both work perfectly now.

Its really not that hard of a task and I have put several of them together. In fact, I would actually rather put my own together then buy them assembled, its more fun that way.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
 Thanks guys for the tips, I really appreciate it!  It's a BM lower I picked up at my local shop for 120$, and it's new!  They had a few more I think i'll take off their hands with my tax relief cash.[:d]  If it's half as entertaining that think it will be, this could get dangerous!  I'll keep you posted.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The detent and spring for the front pivot pin is the one that always gives me trouble...

Usually flies across the room 2 or 3 times 'til I get the pin in. [:)]

Also good advice (like previosly noted)...Check all the blind holes with a small drill bit.
I've had a few with sand and grit in them...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top