Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/29/2001 10:44:27 PM EDT
ok, i have a rifle of mine that i kept in a rifle case for about a month or so in a relativly humid environment. Its a good rifle, now i have had to clean a little bit of rust out of the barrel QUESTIONS 1.) will this affect accuracy? how much? 2.) what can i put in my new gunsafe to keep the rust problem out? thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2001 10:49:17 PM EDT by Confederate]
Goldenrod dehumidification rod, should be able to pick one up where you bought your safe.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:53:09 PM EDT
ok but since the little bit of rust inside is not near the crown of the barrel, will it affect the accuracy?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:58:05 PM EDT
Only way to know for sure is to shoot it and see.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:59:07 PM EDT
Conventional wisdom is that even a pretty badly pitted bore will often shoot quit well when clean. However, it will foul easily so frequent cleaning is needed. Yours doesn’t sound that bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2001 5:25:25 AM EDT by Sixtus]
You didn't say what type of rifle you have, but if it is a bolt, take the bolt out and leave air pass through the barrel. The golden Rod should do it. I was told never to zip a gun case all the way up, or store a gun in a hard case because they both will trap moisture inside. If the rust has been there only a month it probably is nothing more than surface rust, it should come right out.Get a product called Corrosionx.I am ordering four more spray bottles today. I use it on my machines,tools and guns,it is the best.[url]www.corrosionx.com[/url]
Top Top